Pre-Pay the gratuities?

YvonneE

Folks,

I'm filling out my form for traveling (May 22!! Southampton-NYC).

Its ask if I'd like to prepay the gratuities.

Whats the advantages/disadvantages to doing this?:rolleyes:

Thanks for you continued advise.

YvonneE

Hi Yvonne,

I guess there's no real disadvantage in doing so that I know of, BUT:

This could be another example of Cunard's right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

I'll tell you my experience with this.

On my last crossing, I thought that I would try this, thinking that having my on-board account that much lower at the end of the crossing would be a nice thing.

When I recieved the copy of my on-board expenses, there was the charge for gratuities, that I had pre-paid at Cunard's suggestion in their booklet. I took my expense report to the purser's desk, and explained that I had already paid the gratuity directly to Cunard. The purser didn't know what I was talking about, so I explained the whole thing to her. She wasn't convinced, and then called over another purser and said that I didn't want to pay my gratuities. I had to say that this was not true, that I had simply PRE-PAID them. I wasn't refusing to pay, because I had already paid. They then asked me to present proof of this payment. I said that I had no proof to present, as I never dreamed that it would be necessary for me to prove it to anyone, as the pre-payment is SUGGESTED by Cunard if the passenger so wishes. I was then presented with an "opt-out" form to fill out if I didn't want to pay the gratuities. I explained AGAIN that it was not a matter of me not wanting to pay, it was a matter of they simply had already been paid. They said they had no record of it, I suggested they contact the shore office if they must be presented with something in writing. I was then told if I wanted the gratuity charge off of my expense report, that the only way to do it was to fill out the opt-out form. I did, making it clear to them once again that this charge was paid in full, I am not refusing to pay, I simply do not wish to pay twice, and on top of that, that I tip further, generously, in cash the last evening.

The whole episode was very embarrasing as everyone behind the pursers desk and all other passengers there at that time could hear the entire episode.

So, Yvonne, and all other future Cunard passengers, if you do chose to "pre-pay", make sure to take proof with you to present on-board as you will more than likely still be charged.

Looking back on it now, the whole thing makes me angry at how sloppily it was handled by Cunard, especially publicly embarrasing me by suggesting that I was being dishonest.

kj

KJ

Thanks so much for giving your experiences. I guess it'll be just as easy for us to pay at the end than to risk going through that not go kind ordeal.

Thanks for sharing

YvonneE

Oh dear - what an embarrassing experience.

We were given the option of prepaying gratuities with our booking and it showing on the Cunard Invoice, or waiting until onboard.

We chose to wait until onboard and have found other threads saying that we can opt to NOT pay the standard gratuity but tip individual staff instead.

We did propose to tip individually and to have the standard gratuity removed from our bill. But this story makes me think that it would be less problem if we just leave it on the bill.

Of course this leaves us with the dilemma of whether to tip individually as well. We are reluctant to do this in view of the high fixed gratuity plus the 15% on all additional purchases.

Can anybody advise what we should do ?

Logic says pay at the end of your cruise with a credit card. That way you get the interest on the money and not Cunard. Look after the pennies as they say.

Cunard state that the fixed gratuities charge covers all your obligations. You have no need to give any more - but - you will find that your waiter and cabin steward will be expecting a tip in addition, and you may feel like a miser if you do not give them one. At the end of the day it is up to you. I think that most people get a little glow when they hand over a nice tip at the end of a cruise. Pays your money, takes your pick.

David.

I know this is a highly individual decision, but what amount (US $) do you think most people would feel is acceptable as an additional tip for say, a 6 day crossing?

1. meal tray deliverd to cabin?

2. dining room waiter, assistant waiter?

3. room steward?

4. favorite bar tender?

5. other

I like to pre-pay so the only expenses I have are for our soda cards and extras purchased while on board. In your travel documents booklet - the one you receive prior to your cruise and the one you must bring to the port as it has your ticket to board the ship there is a page that indicates you have pre-paid your gratuities. So there should be no confusion as to anyone being twiced charged for gratuites.

I've taken the pre-pay option a couple of times but Cunard have always made an error with it (charging twice, crediting the wrong account etc, taking two days to rectify the problems). They eventually sort it out, but who wants bother on vacation?

Pay on board, it's easier.

Archived