Locating a place to buy Sol beer to bring back

AmyLee

Hello all;

This is not my first cruise to Mexico but was wondering if any of you knew where in Cozumel or Progresso( at pier) could you buy Sol beer. Friend that is going with me her husband wants us to bring him some back. Thanks for any info:p

You can buy Sol at a good price at the supermarket in Progreso. You can pay with US Dollars but any change will be in Pesos so make sure you have plenty of small bills.

When you bring beer back on the ship they may ask to hold it for you until the final day of the cruise but you are allowed to bring beer back and to bring it home for friends.

Are you familiar with Progreso?

I have been to both Progresso and Cozumel. Cozumel I have been to more; in Progresso since Me and my two companions are on a girls cruise we will most likely just shop at pier and not go into Meridia. I felt uncomfortable there the only time I went. If I go back would prefer my hubby just to be on safe side.. Is the Market in progresso right on the pier or is it in town.And you can't find Sol down here in Mississippi.

As you know the pier in Progreso is quite long. A shuttle is provided which drops you off at the cultural center. The beach is two blocks north and the supermarket is two blocks south.

This picture shows the tourist market at the cultural center where the shuttle drops-off/picks-up. You will dropped off on the street on the right mid-block. The supermarket is two and a half blocks down the street to the left in the direction the sign for Merida is pointing.

Note the lighthouse as a reference point.

2225231970080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the supermarket, Super San Francisco de Asis It has most anything you might need at very good prices.

2771285210080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

This photo is from the same spot but looking back toward the tourist market where you get off the shuttle. Note the lighthouse for reference.

2942134460080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

Progreso is a nice/safe beach town. I stumbled upon the supermarket just walking around. It's very close.

Have a nice cruise. :)

Hi Amy,

Where are you from? I live in Houma, LA. There is a super market here called Cannats's, that sells Sol beer. My husband tried it the last time we were in Cozumel and he loved it! It was nice to find it here in the states. Good luck!

Almost all of the liquor stores here in Kansas & Missouri carry Sol. It's a popular beer here. You can also check with the manager at one of your larger liquor stores and see if they can start stocking it. It doesn't hurt to ask and you would be surprised how accomodating they can be.

Sol is one of my favorites!!!!! LOVE it!

It is hard to find around where I live, but some bigger grocery stores carry it! Also if you have a beers around the world store? we have one here!

If you live anywhere near a BevMo or Total Wine, both sell it. it is my husbands favorite also. I can't imagine bringing it back from a trip. That would be cumbersome.

Just be aware that the Sol varies in strength and some cases even flavor depending on where you get it. A few years back Sol was provided on a fishing charter I booked in Cozumel. It was 6% alcohol. A couple years later the Sol I had in Costa Maya was 4.5%. The Sol my local beverage retailer can get is 4% and sometimes develops an off-flavor (a function of the clear glass I believe).

Not sure I would bother trying to haul any back home from the Caribbean, but it is worth trying to scare some up locally to see if you like it I suppose. Just make sure you enjoy as much of it as you can while in Mexico.

...And you can't find Sol down here in Mississippi.

Definitely available in MS. Check any good beer store and ask the manager to get some if they don't stock it.

IMO it is more trouble than it is worth to try to bring it back with you. Glass bottles would have to be individually wrapped, or you will have to hand-carry them off the ship.

Archived