Pump me up about MoBay

vluvs2ski

We're stopping in MoBay early February on our cruise. I'm a little overwhelmed at the options and having trouble getting really excited about any of the tours. They seem expensive for what you get, IMO. Part of the problem is we don't have this 'one thing' we really want to do in Jamaica, like we do at Cayman Island (SNORKEL!!).

We're a group of two mid-50s (my parents), two late 20s (me and DH), and a 22mo old. I'll be 13wks pregnant when we arrive, so we can't do anything TOO strenuous.

Dunn's River Falls looks nice, but since it is so popular maybe too crowded, plus we can't fit anything else in.

Anyone been to the bird sanctuary or botanical gardens listed on this site?

http://www.windresorts.com/Jamaica-Attractions.html

Is it really $40 per raft on the Martha Brae??

Also, I see one poster rather enthusiastically recommending Admiral Bailey tranportation. Anyone else have experience with them or others they can personally recommend? Since we are booking last minute, it sounds like Peat Taylor, Marva Shaw, and Mark Morris are all booked up.

Jamaica has such a bad rep, I hate to book on just one reference. Better to just hail a JUTA taxi?

We were there in October but booked with Peat Taylor tours to take us to Ochos Rios to the Falls, Fern Gulley and lunch with a private driver. Loved every minute of it! There wasn't much in the Mo Bay area that interested us. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help...look at what your ship tour options are and then research on the board to find a cheaper and less crowded way to do it! : )

Also, I see one poster rather enthusiastically recommending Admiral Bailey tranportation. Anyone else have experience with them or others they can personally recommend? Since we are booking last minute, it sounds like Peat Taylor, Marva Shaw, and Mark Morris are all booked up.

Jamaica has such a bad rep, I hate to book on just one reference. Better to just hail a JUTA taxi?

I highly recommend Admiral Bailey Transporation Services. My entire family have been taking Admiral Bailey for several years and we have always had a good time. He is very reliable and his rates are also very reasonable. You will not be disappointed.

I think I've settled on staying around MoBay rather than spend 3hr round trip in the car to and from OchosRios. The Bird Sanctuary is really looking neat, and we should have time to visit a plantation- leaning toward ********* House.

Rose Hall gives me the creeps, all that haunting stuff. I find it morbidly fascinating, but spiritually unsettling and think I should just avoid it.:rolleyes:

robsterclaw, Are you on FOS?? I have a friend that is staying at Sunset Beach Resort and I am trying to get them them on 2/23 during my cruise. Are you booking the resort through the cruise ship? Please let me know. The closest place I can get for an excursion is to Irie Mon Beach Party that is on Cornwall Beach.... Thanks!!

Juinta, yes we are on the FOS on the 2/20 sailing!!! I am about to book sunset beach resort with jamaicacruiseexcursions.com. I have found booking with RCI is a lot more money. Anyway, I have a driver already reserved to take my family of 5 to sunset beach and am looking more to lower the cost.

You should definitely come with us. The more we can get on the bus the lower it will cost us.

We have used the guy we are using (Trevortoursjamaica.com) when we were in Jamaica in 2005. Very good guy, he carted us around for an entire week and took care of us and kept us out of trouble.

Email me directly at cruise.20.rdangel@spamgourmet.com and we can work something out. Would be great to know another new englander on the cruise!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Rob

robster, no, we won't be in Jamaica when you are there. Will certainly post reviews after we get back, though.

Funny that one of my tour destinations got filtered with *s, probably for presumed vulgarity. *sigh* I so wish it didn't have to be that way. It is a legitimate plantation that offers tours for just a bit cheaper than Rose Hall, and has lots of books, instruments, and antiques.

We were in MoBay a week ago tomorrow and just toured around and shopped with a driver booked through Marva Shaw. You might also try jutatours.info and see if you can book a driver through them. Ours had a JUTA sticker (and it WASN'T Marva or Javia). We did do Rose Hall and it was very interesting. We then went totally cheap and just visited a few places with great views (White Witch clubhouse, Richmond Hill) and shopped at the craft market (250+ stalls, many with the same trinkets, but some interesting original crafts, as well - basket weavers, painters, wood carvers, etc.). Did stop at Margaritaville, too, since we had our 19 year old and her boyfriend with us.

Juinta, yes we are on the FOS on the 2/20 sailing!!! I am about to book sunset beach resort with jamaicacruiseexcursions.com. I have found booking with RCI is a lot more money. Anyway, I have a driver already reserved to take my family of 5 to sunset beach and am looking more to lower the cost.

You should definitely come with us. The more we can get on the bus the lower it will cost us.

We have used the guy we are using (Trevortoursjamaica.com) when we were in Jamaica in 2005. Very good guy, he carted us around for an entire week and took care of us and kept us out of trouble.

Email me directly at cruise.20.rdangel@spamgourmet.com and we can work something out. Would be great to know another new englander on the cruise!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Rob

We will be doing the same thing when we arrive there on Feb 24th(?)...May I ask what the price was for transportation?... Thanks tons!

For a driver, you shouldn't pay more than about $150 for the entire day. That seems to be the going rate for all of the advance bookings and you might be able to do the same or even better once you arrive in port. We decided to book a driver to have the flexibility to change our plans depending on the weather.

For a driver, you shouldn't pay more than about $150 for the entire day. That seems to be the going rate for all of the advance bookings and you might be able to do the same or even better once you arrive in port. We decided to book a driver to have the flexibility to change our plans depending on the weather.

We paid $160 for the four of us in October...we had two couples so we split the amount between us. So not a bad deal for the whole day...and we were taken from MoBay to Ochos Rios and back. :)

Without reading all the responses, we booked the zipline tour with Jamaica Zipline Adventure Tours. This was my 5th island to do the ziplines and it was the best.

My Mom and Dad are in their 70's and I was afraid this would be too strenuous on them. No Problem. Can't comment on being pregnant.

Even though my user name is mdrobtx, I'm not a doctor. :D

but mdrobtx, it works on so many levels! md, dr, ob... lol!

I've settled on Admiral Bailey to take us to Rockland Bird Sanctuary, the Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in MoBay, the Green**** great house down the road from Rose Hall, and a quick beach stop if we have time.

The zip line tours all say no preggos and no toddlers. I would have totally done that otherwise, and even considered sending my parents and husband on one while we walked, but decided I would get too worn out alone with the toddler and pregnant.

Will let everyone know how it goes afterwards!

Has anyone done the Sunset Beach Resort before? Can you give me some 'scoop'. I have two boys (10 & 14) as well as my wife and I. Is there enough to keep everyone occupied and happy?

We will be on the Navigator OTS, arriving 2/24. If we end up docking in MB (Freeport) how far is it to the resort?

Thanks.

There's is only $10 difference in price from the Carnival excursion called Canopy Tour Adventure and the independent Jamaica Zipline tour. I can't tell id there is a difference or not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Do research this closely. I seem to recall encountering a discussion of there being 2 (or more) zipline tours in/near MoBay, with one being much better/longer. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw that or for sure if it was MoBay. We only ziplined once, near Belize City, and it was an absolute BLAST!

Archived