Just wondering...

Just a couple of questions. Does anybody know if there are any rental fees for ice skates or roller blades? We are sailing on VOS March 19th, and my two boys are really excited about trying out everything they can! I just want to be prepared............

Is there an age limit to the fitness center? My 13 yo son has just started weight training, and is wanting to continue while onboard.

Also, I know we are going to want to see the ice show. Do we get the tickets the first day, or wait until the day of the show?

Thanks for your help!!:)

There is not a rental fee for skates, but, you must wear long pants.

I think I've read where there is an age minimum in the fitness center. I'm sure someone will respond.

Lastly, the Compass will state when and where you can get tickets for the Ice Show. They only hand them out during certain times, unless you have a suite.

Have a grand time!

Leigh

They usually hand out ice tickets outside Studio B on a morning when the ship is at sea (at least it was on AOS). But like later that day on the pursers desk were huge wads of the tickets (???) so I don't know why we have to crowd Studio B when they lay them out later.

I believe the age limit for the gym is 16 (I'm not 100% sure on this), but I've heard of exceptions made if the parent is willing to supervise. I think that exceptions are rare though. Typically, rules are rules; if they make an exception for one, then others justifiably get upset. I think it would be a good idea that if they do allow an exception that parents must sign a waiver of liability (which you will have to do for ice skating, etc. for yourself and your sons). I'm really big on CYA.

May I recommend that you purchase a simple resistance band set for your son? They take up only a bit of space and he could keep up with his resistance work in your cabin. I know it's not the same as weight training, but it's not bad. I think it's great that your son wants to be strong and in shape!

Also, they have safety gear (also no extra fee) to use with the inline skates. The track is small, but for this neophyte it was fun.

They will not allow you to ice skate unless you are wearing long pants and socks. No exceptions. The ice skating is scheduled in various sessions on sea days. The ice skates are not comfortable (and the blades are not sharp; I know they do this for safety, but it drove me nuts). I am an experienced ice skater (well, I used to be), but I've never worn an ice skate that was so uncomfortable. They are hard plastic with buckles that are difficult to adjust. I could not get a good fit and certainly nothing like lacing. They have a limited number in all sizes. If you are a common size, get to the session on time. I had to wait for my size twice even though I got there only about one minute after the session started. They have both figure and hockey skates--good thing too; I'm figure and my DH grew up in NY on hockey skates. If you have your own skates and want to lug them along, there are special sessions for "experienced" skaters. I almost wish I'd done that, but there is only so much room in the luggage.

Ice ticket distribution times are listed in the Compass. We got to the line early and they were already handing out tickets. We waited about 2 minutes and got tickets for our preferred show. Seating is unassigned, but Studio B is laid out well. I think pretty much all the seats are fine. And DO NOT miss the show. It's really good, especially considering that it's a small rink and the ship is moving. I can't imagine doing a simple jump, much less a detailed show.

beachchick :cool:

They usually hand out ice tickets outside Studio B on a morning when the ship is at sea (at least it was on AOS). But like later that day on the pursers desk were huge wads of the tickets (???) so I don't know why we have to crowd Studio B when they lay them out later.

From what I understand the tickets for the ice shows generally go fast...

Last year on Mariner they gave out all the tickets at Studio B, there weren't any left at all. DH went down there about 1 hr after they started giving out tickets and we didn't get our first choice of seatings. We did get our second choice, which worked out fine.

This year on Navigator they did have some tickets left, but not for all shows.

Archived