recent Jewel sailing review western caribbean

Let's start by saying this was our 1st cruise. We flew in a day early and stayed at the Radisson in Ft. Lauderdale. It was very nice and we had a nice view of the marina.

The next afternoon we were bused to the pier. everything went smoothly. The ship is just beautiful. The staff and service were great. The food was enjoyable and of course there was plenty of it.

Our first stop was Key west where we did the pub crawl. We hit 5 bars. There was a mixed drink or beer at every bar. Some had musicians. The others on the excursion were fun. (who else would do a pub crawl?) Our guide, Larry was great. He gave a little history as we walked along. He even took us to Margaritaville, which wasn't even on the list.

Next was Cozumel. We did the Beach Break. NIce Beach, so so food, open bar. The mexicans selling you stuff as you enter can be a bit agressive. Don't give in or they won't leave you alone!! It was like walking through the perfume area of Macys and avoiding the spritzers!;) It was a fun day, good booze, great swimming. There were other activities there but we just vegged out.

Costa Maya...one of our favorites.:) All the excusions were booked but we really wanted to see the ruins. So once we passed the pier area, we found a booth and booked a tour oursevles. $45.00 pp We took a van to the ruins, about a 45 min, ride. It did not include a guide, you can book one at the sight for $5.00 pp. We just did it our selves. We went back to the pier and shopped, drank and ate. Had some awesome lobster tacquitos at one of the bars. 6 for $10.oo. I don't remember the name but it had a great band and a list of what time you had to be back on board your ship. There was also use of a pool w/ a swim up bar. Lots of fun.

The best was Grand Cayman, unfortunatley it was hit pretty hard by the hurricanes. We did the Catamaran to Stingray city. The best ever! Great crew, lots of fun. We swam with the rays, fed them and even kissed them! It was just terrific. They film the whole thing, so we bought the dvd. We had it the next day. We watched yesterday and it felt like I was still there. Eventhough it was $60.00, it was well worth it.we had time to shop and grab a drink after the excursion was over.

The Jewel is great. We were able to bring wine on board and also some liquor we bought in Cozumel at the duty free shop. Even though the ship was full, it never felt crowded. There were 2 formal night. The rest were casual.

This was truly the best vacation we ever had. I would do it again in a minute!!

2 formal nights, casual the first night but men must wear pants, no shorts in the dining room. The Windjammer was another story.

My husband wore either an izod type shirt or a button down short sleeve shirt on casual nights. I wore capris or sun dresses on casual nights. Hope this helps.

Vicki

Archived