Back from Diamond

MikeDMess

Returned from the 2/19 sailing of Diamond Princess. Here's my review:

I will be giving detail on some of the little things I'd like to see improved in the hopes that people at Princess read these. Please don't take me as a complainer. Overall I enjoy Princess and would sail them again.

We have been on 11 previous cruises of which 3 were Princess. We are in our 30's and traveled with another couple same age.

Weather: Mid 60's at sea (feels colder when it's windy) and 81 degrees on land.

Cabin: We were in Aloha 719 and 723 with connecting balconies. Each had 1 table and 2 chairs. Although we were under the buffet we did not hear any noise. We chose this cabin because it was close to the Terrace pool and a short walk to the buffet. We enjoyed eating breakfast out on our balcony. Overall we liked our cabin. We found the mattress to be very hard but after telling ou cabin stewart he got a soft pad which made it better. I thought by now Princess would have cought up with RCCL and have interactive TV. I found the shower to be a bit uncomfortable due to the annoying grab handle that kept sticking into my side and the hot water fades in and out. Our cabin wa son the starboard side and faced the dock in LA, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatan. It did not face Los Arches in Cabo, however when the ship turns around you get a good view.

Food: We had PC dining and found the service to be very good. We only felt rushed one night when we arrived at 9:30 pm. The remainder of the nights were well paced and enjoyable. We made reservations on some nights and on others we just walked in, even when we were told they were fully booked. I believe they keep a few tables aside for walk-ins. In either case we hardly waited.

The food was very good. I agree with the majority that the coffee needs major improvement. Cappacino is no longer free. We found the buffets to be good as well, although I never found my blueberry pancakes as on previous cruises. Additionally, we found the OJ to be too watered down. Id like to have more drink choices (e.g. lemonade) at lunch.

Ship: We like the grand class mainly for the pool decks as, unlike many other ships, have 4 pools nicely spread out. We always found chairs to relax on. The decor won't win awards but it is nice enough for us and a good trade off for the 4 pools.

Crew: We found the crew to be fantastic. On one occassion a member went out of his way to offer to take a picture of my friends. He could have easily passed by quietly. Bar waiters were not annoying as on other lines, cabin stewarts and waiters did a great job.

Kids: There were a good number of kids and teens on board but did not find them out of control as sometimes experienced on past cruises.

Entertainment: Not into musicals and after a sampling of one before a comedian decided not to even try. There are comedians almost every night. Some were better than others but I liked that there was this much stand up. However, why do the cruise staff insist on singing before a comedian. Is it possible for the CD to simply introduce them without a song? I saw Pirates of the Carribean on NCL years ago and found it to be great. Otherwise I have never enjoyed any of the sing and dance shows on any ship.

Spa: We stayed away from the high priced high sell spa this cruise. Hope Princess does something different soon.

My overall score for this cruise was an 8 out of 10. I hope Princess does not change for the worse now that they are part of Carnival.

Thanks for the review, Mike. We leave in a few weeks for the Diamond, so it's always fun to hear from other who have been there.

You may want to post this review on the Princess pages too. I'm sure the folks there would like to read it.

Jean

Thanks for the decent..."not too picky"....review. Glad to hear Personal Choice dining is not as big of a hassle as people have made it sound like. We are on the Diamond in three days:)

was on the 2-19 sailing too. The only thing different it that we were turned away without a reservation and ate in the HC. You didn't miss anything by skipping the musicals I will stay away next time. Comidian's were very good. We were in B332.

Archived