Flying in to Miami on the SAME day as cruise---bad idea??

StarboardIndigo

For peace of mind, we always arrive a day early. If you are questioning whether or not if it is a bad idea or not - for your own peace of mind, leave the day before. As the say in Jamaica man - NO worries! :D We also leave out of Dulles. Find a nice hotel in Miami, go to local restaurant recommended by the locals (hotel staff). Relax and just enjoy the day and evening. ;)

One thing I've been reading more & more about lately is that, due to airline cutbacks, the airlines simply don't have lots of open seats to reschedule you, if something goes wrong with your flight. As recently as 2-3-4 years ago, you could get moved to a flight just a few hours later, with little problem. Now, it can take days.

With that big snowstorm in the Northeast that hit just after Christmas, I read dozens of stories online about people who couldn't get a replacement flight for several days. One particularly heartbreaking story involved a high school marching band from Maine who'd spent 2 years raising money to fly to London & march in the New Year's Day parade. After the snowstorm hit, they couldn't get rebooked on a flight for 4 days or so, and had to cancel & go home. Many other stories like that...

Granted, the chances of a major blizzard disrupting your plans are minimal, but my point is that that replacement flights are much more scarce than they used to be.

Good luck!

We flew into FLL the day of sailing without any problems, I would definetly do it again. We also few to Spain for a Medeteranian cruise and flew in 7am on the day of the cruise, no problems. SO we are 2 for 2 adn I would do it again.

Good luck,

Karen

I've done both...the day before on the Destiny cruise last January and the day of on the Glory cruise. It would be better off to come in the day before. That way you are less stressed and more ready to enjoy your cruise. It's not only whether there is a flight delay, but also the transportation from the airport.

Just a quick story about hat can cause a delay.

On a return from our Alaska Cruise we had a layover in Minneapolis.

Unfortunately the Northeast was having a killer thunder storm and flights could not land. We had to sleep in the airport that night and arrived in Baltimore 24 hours late.

I guess what I am saying is that it is a crapp shoot. Flying in early does give you peace of mind but that is no guarantee.

Hope all goes well for the OP.

Twice in the past year I have been on planes which have taken off on time with early morning flights only to have medical emergencies on board. We then had turn around or make an unscheduled landing. Because we then landed "heavy" (before we had burnt off the anticipated amount of fuel), there were numerous checks of the aircraft that were completed on the ground before we could take off. Let's just say in one of those cases we would have missed our cruise had it been that day....but we always fly in the day before so we were not worried. I strongly suggest going the day before because you never know what can happen......

I saw several families joining the Valor last week in Grand Cayman and also talked to a lady on debarkation morning who had missed the ship due to flight delays. She had to stay in a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for two days, then transfer to Miami for a flight to Cayman to board the ship two days into the cruise. She said it was pretty stressful and that it cost her a lot extra by the time it was done.

I personally wouldn't fly the day of. I've done it twice - once on our first cruise when I didn't know any better, and a second time because our day before flight was delayed. All other flights were booked that evening and the next day. We were just getting ready to book our flights to Cozumel to meet the ship three days later when seats opened up on a 6am flight the next morning. We barely made our connection due to more delays the next morning but thankfully made it in time for the cruise. This wasn't even winter but October one year.

I'd also say to allow plenty of time flying into Miami. I had my first experience with Miami instead of FLL last week and the place is a zoo. The layout is confusing and not easy to get around. The day we arrived it took a full hour and a half to find baggage claim, grab our bags which were already there, make our way to the hotel shuttle and get to the hotel which was very close to the airport.

We always fly in a day early. A few years ago, we were booked on a Celebrity repositioning cruise out of San Juan to Norfolk. We flew out of National Airport, (D.C.). We were told that our plane was going to be late arriving as it had brokend down enroute. Waited and waited, getting very concerned since we had a connecting flight to San Juan to catch in Orlando.

After several hours, a truly decrepit plane was pulled up to the gate. They told us it had been brought out of storage, and was fully inspected for our flight. If it hadn't been a cruise, no way would I have gotten on that plane. We landed in Orlando, just as our connecting flight passed us taking off on the opposite runway.

Thankfully, the airline got us on another flight. We missed our planned sightseeing day in San Juan, arriving around 11 P.M., but because we were booked in a day early, we made the cruise.

Hi all, I finally decided on the Carnival Glory! Quick question: We are flying on February 13 and our flight leaves DC and gets into Miami around 8:35 a.m. The cruise departs at 4 p.m. and we have purchased travel insurance (which I read in my policy only covers a 12 hour + delay).

Surely, getting in at 8:35 a.m. for a 4 p.m. departure is enough time for any possible delays, etc...right? It's a direct flight but I guess I'm worried. about the chances....any advice?

Hi, you will have plenty of time to get to the Port. The Cabs are not all that expensive. I thinks its about $20.00 for a Minivan full.

Enjoy your Cruise you have chosen a great Cruiseline.:)

Hi:

I've flown into MIA many times for cruises from CLT and as long as you get to MIA by noon you should not have any problem. Your only problem would be if for some reason you couldn't get out of DC that AM (due to

inclement weather, snow, etc). I don't think you need to worry! Happy cruising!

I have only flown the day of the cruise, and i often cruise in the winter. I leave from ny, only direct flights, and one of the early morning flights. Haven't missed a flight yet. You never know, there could be a storm on frIday canceling that flight but Saturday would be fine, and if you were booked for Friday, you would miss the cruise whereas if you were booked for Saturday, you would be fine. Even if you were booked the day before, there is no guarantee you'll get on a flight the next day. You just never know. So book what works fOr you and don't stress.

I'm flying at 7:40 am to arrive at 10:40 am in Miami the day of the cruise which departs at 4 pm. Leaving out of Phila. 3/6/11. I can't do anything about weather other than monitor it a few days prior.

Is it really an issue flying out this early?

I figure most people who post here are going to be the ones who fly in a day ahead just like most reviews on CC tend to be unpleasant ones as people tend to report problems more than good experiences.

There is no issue as long as all goes well. You will have plenty of time if you get an early flight. I have flown the day of with no problems. We have also flown for land trips that were delayed significantly and it wasn't that big of a deal because we were just going to a resort, but if it was a cruise we would have missed it. Once my husband's luggage was lost, but again it was a land trip. Imagine if it was a cruise trip. We now prefer to fly a day early.

I'm flying at 7:40 am to arrive at 10:40 am in Miami the day of the cruise which departs at 4 pm. Leaving out of Phila. 3/6/11. I can't do anything about weather other than monitor it a few days prior.

Is it really an issue flying out this early?

I figure most people who post here are going to be the ones who fly in a day ahead just like most reviews on CC tend to be unpleasant ones as people tend to report problems more than good experiences.

I'm flying in the day of....leaving LAX at 11:55pm....land in Miami 10:30am with a 1:35 minute lay over in Atlanta to pick up my cabinmate:D

I'm flying in the day of....leaving LAX at 11:55pm....land in Miami 10:30am with a 1:35 minute lay over in Atlanta to pick up my cabinmate:D

I sort of feel like only the people who fly a day ahead are posting here. I'm using the logic that most reviews of cruises I read aren't positive and that you're more likely to write a review when there was something bad to report than if everything went smoothly.

Actually I have flown into Miami quite a few times (only once for a cruise and it was day of cruise) and never had a problem getting to Miami on time.

I've yet to have an issue flying into Miami either...but since I have had flights cancelled and delayed on me numerous other times, I believe flying in the day of a cruise is a huge gamble, especially from the northeast during the winter.

I'm flying into Miami next Thursday night....my cruise leaves Friday and I'm not 100% comfortable. We already have a plan 'B' in case things look bad weather-wise.

Archived