AFT Family Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda on Summit

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

DH and I are so excited we are heading to Bermuda in May, only 4 months away :) We have managed to grab a precious aft balcony for the trip.

I have been reading recently that several people have managed to get one of the prized cabins above very close to final payment. I have been checking everyday and I noticed that if there are 4 people to a cabin, they have been offered the above cabin but guarantee. Final payment is due in a couple of months and I guess that is when such cabins might come available.

My question is: Given that the Guarantee is being offered so early for four people, do you think it will be likely that an AFT Family Ocean View Stateroom with Veranda might become available closer to final payment for only two people? I have never had a balcony before and wonder how this all works.

Thanks so much,

If this is your first balcony, and there are only 2 of you, I think you'll be more than happy with your regular aft. We always get afts, and I know I'm speaking as one who has never had a corner FV, but I just can't get past the solid wall (despite everyone saying it doesn't bother them). I truly believe it would bother me.

Why don't you just try out your regular aft this time and decide for yourself when you can see the corner FVs clearly from your own balcony (another thing...I like the privacy of being recessed...I would feel uncomfortable sitting in the jutting out part). I've looked over at them many, many times (we've had afts at least 6 or 7 times) and I have never been tempted.

And if you're not talking about a corner, but rather the one in, I also say to that that I wouldn't care, the balconies are the same size and we find the cabin to be a fine size for 2.

We had a regular aft balcony and were able to switch to a corner FV aft shortly after final payment due. My advice if you really want one is to know the corner FV numbers and check the Celebrity website once a day after final payment. That's what I did and the last two FV's showed up - only one was a corner and I snagged it.

Impossible to say what the odds are of one being offered. Frankly, so much can change between now and then, people cancel, change sail dates, etc. It's possible - it certainly happened for us.

Other considerations involve costs as well as the extra cruise credit for the CC cabin that you are now in. My next cruise has FV's available but for me to switch from the C1 I am in to a corner FV would add $ 2400 to my cruise cost :eek:. On the following cruise it would only cost me $480 to switch but all of the corners are gone. If you plan on cruising X for a number of years, it pays to become elite so building cruise credits quickly is beneficial.

We were able to get a corner FOV very shortly after we made our final payment for a C3. it cost a total of $300 more for the two of us. Actually there were 3 available (only 1 corner) and they seemed to stay in inventory for almost a week. It's on the Summit and the air to Puerto Rico is very high the week we are traveling, and I wonder if that's why plans changed for many before final payment. I'm just thrilled to have the chance to have this cabin, but don't expect to be this lucky every time.

Thanks everyone for your input. Certainly food for thought.

It is our first balcony and we are VERY happy with the location we have. I never realized that the corner family oceanview veranda have a solid wall!!! Off to find some pictures of that :)

We aren't willing to pay much more than we have already paid. I will continue to look but will certainly think very carefully and further research it.

Again, thanks so much. I really do appreciate everyone's input :)

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/FV-Family-View-Aft-Cabins/11677184_XdX2v#824357556_TMjaQ

Here's a great link. I look at these pictures all the time. Thanks Larry and Sue!(actually let me complement you on all your posts, I am usually educated, or in complete agreement if it's an opinion involved.)

Cookie, either way I think you have a great cabin. As you can see in the photos the sides of the FVcorners are open. Have a great cruise!

Archived