Birth Certificate

jules316

I just want to make sure my BC's are official. Too late for passports, please don't lecture me on it. I know I should have gotten them for my family of 4 but my husband lost his job and I'm trying to still do this vacation ias inexpensive as possible because it's already paid for.

I have my kid's BC's that say Certification of Vital Record on top, issued by my state's department of health. Says:RI Dept. of health Certificate of Live Birth. It has a seal and one of them has a water seal that says official vital record. Besides the newest one having the water mark they are identical. What throws me off is the "certificate of live birth". Is this okay?

My BC is a small wallet sized card that says Certification of birth registration from RI dept of health division of vital statistics with a raised seal.

My husbands is an old, worn, tape paper that says certified copy of record of birth. Issued from city of Melrose, Massachussetts. Signed by the city clerk and has a raised seal. I ordered him a copy of his from vital check also because of the condition of his original.

Please help me figure out if these are the required documents. I have called Carnival (who didn't really clear this up for me). Seems they are hesitant because I'm not so sure they really know! I also checked WHTI which only states original or certified copy of birth certificate. Thanks!

I dont know if the card size makes a difference or not. The newer ones have the watermark seal and not the raised seal. I was told that they did have to be state issued, so would have concern about husbands.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

I just want to make sure my BC's are official. Too late for passports, please don't lecture me on it. I know I should have gotten them for my family of 4 but my husband lost his job and I'm trying to still do this vacation ias inexpensive as possible because it's already paid for.

I have my kid's BC's that say Certification of Vital Record on top, issued by my state's department of health. Says:RI Dept. of health Certificate of Live Birth. It has a seal and one of them has a water seal that says official vital record. Besides the newest one having the water mark they are identical. What throws me off is the "certificate of live birth". Is this okay?

My BC is a small wallet sized card that says Certification of birth registration from RI dept of health division of vital statistics with a raised seal.

My husbands is an old, worn, tape paper that says certified copy of record of birth. Issued from city of Melrose, Massachussetts. Signed by the city clerk and has a raised seal. I ordered him a copy of his from vital check also because of the condition of his original.

Please help me figure out if these are the required documents. I have called Carnival (who didn't really clear this up for me). Seems they are hesitant because I'm not so sure they really know! I also checked WHTI which only states original or certified copy of birth certificate. Thanks!

First question, where are you cruising to and from where?

Make sure the kids have full birth certificates. At one point our county was issuing "Abstract of Live Birth", not good enough.

I do not think that your card is a BC. The word 'registration'' seems to jump out.

Have fun on your cruise.

First question, where are you cruising to and from where?

I already know the requirements are BC and DL. Going on closed loop from port canaveral to nassau, st. thomas, St. Martin, and back to port canaveral.

I already know the requirements are BC and DL. Going on closed loop from port canaveral to nassau, st. thomas, St. Martin, and back to port canaveral.

It will be at the discretion of the carnival gate agent. You should be fine although you may run into some issues with Customs regarding the taped up birth certificate on your return. With regard to the Live Birth etc., different states say different things; that part I wouldn't worry about. The taped birth certificate may be the issue.

This may or may not work, but in every state there is a place you can go to apply for a passport and they examine your birth cerficificate, SS card...etc before sending it off.

Even though you are not applying for a passport, I would drop by the office and show them what you have to see if you would be able to get a passport from it and see what they say about the tape and such.

You still won't be 100% sure when it comes to the actual customs agent and things, but at least you will have some sort of idea before you leave.

Have a great trip!

Hi Jules,

how much time do you have before your cruise?

We lost all of our BC's & passports in a fire, and getting 5 new passports AND the cruise was going to cost to much right now. My DH & kids live in the same county they were born, so DH went to the county office and got new ones for them all. I had to order mine from Vital Checks, (I did need to get something noterized) but for $22 & a $15 notary fee, I got my BC in the mail in about 3 days! I was really impressed with how fast it came!

If you are still not sure about your own BC, you may want to just order a new one for yourself to ease your mind.

I know with times being so rough right now, your family could really use the gift of a fun vacation, so relax & have a great time!

PS: There is LOTS of great advice on these boards about ways to not spend any extra money on your cruise... we are gonna try it budget style this time too. ;)

Best wishes!

Hi Jules,

how much time do you have before your cruise?

We lost all of our BC's & passports in a fire, and getting 5 new passports AND the cruise was going to cost to much right now. My DH & kids live in the same county they were born, so DH went to the county office and got new ones for them all. I had to order mine from Vital Checks, (I did need to get something noterized) but for $22 & a $15 notary fee, I got my BC in the mail in about 3 days! I was really impressed with how fast it came!

If you are still not sure about your own BC, you may want to just order a new one for yourself to ease your mind.

I know with times being so rough right now, your family could really use the gift of a fun vacation, so relax & have a great time!

PS: There is LOTS of great advice on these boards about ways to not spend any extra money on your cruise... we are gonna try it budget style this time too. ;)

Best wishes!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your situation! Did you go on your cruise yet? Did you have to get something notarized before you could order from vital check? Or did they notarize for you? I ordered one for my husband over a week ago and don't have it yet. It said 10-14 business days. How long ago did you order yours?

The one I have for my kids actually came from the county office. I got them a few months after they were born. So they must be the ones I need. Thanks!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your situation! Did you go on your cruise yet? Did you have to get something notarized before you could order from vital check? Or did they notarize for you? I ordered one for my husband over a week ago and don't have it yet. It said 10-14 business days. How long ago did you order yours?

The one I have for my kids actually came from the county office. I got them a few months after they were born. So they must be the ones I need. Thanks!

No worries here. This is our "we survived!" celebration. We sail in 3 weeks and are very excited!

I ordered my BC from Vital Checks (& honestly, I really wasn't sure if it was going to work... & actaully pictured myself driving to the county office 9 hours away to get it in person... so glad I din't have to do that!!!)

I was almost done with the online ordering process, then I had to print out a document saying that I was the one trying to get a copy of my BC & have it notarized & then fax it back. & it was right before Christmas, & I had a hard time finding a notary, so it took me a few weeks to get that done. I finally found a mobile notary, and she came to my house, for a total of $15.

I faxed the form back to Vital Checks on a Thursday, & I got it in the mail on the following Monday!

I hope that all goes well for you & your family! I totally understand why you need this vacation! :)

Archived