Best way to find family on ships

Schplinky

Hi there,

We're travelling on the April 23 sailing of the Navigator of the Seas and are wondering the best way to meet up with other gays or lesbians on the cruise. We've posted a roll call here, to no avail, and were wondering if there are other ways to meet up. Our ship doesn't seem to offer a FOD meet.

It's not a huge issue. The straights are ok (heck, some of my best friends are straight), but it's always nice to bump into family when you're travelling.

My P and I took our first cruise on the 2/14 Sovereign. While aboard we met a couple of other gay couples and on the last day met a lesbian couple. I guess the easiest way without a planned FOD would be using your Gaydar. We didn't go out of our way looking for other gay couples but found that the few we met were doing the same thing as us -- people watching and seeing who was with who etc.... We ending up making great friends with two heterosexual couples who we spent some time with on ship.

That said I didn't observe one dirty look or hear a single negative comment while aboard. Of course I really wasn't "on guard" either -- I just don't care what people think and P and I really aren't that flamboyant. We just happen to be two men who are committed to one another and I honestly believe that people on ship really don't spend their time wondering who's doing what with who....

You'll have a great time! And I hope you make some great aquaintences aboard.

Hi Schplinky,

One source for getting good hints is to check the photo gallery the day after boarding. The photo shop will be posting the shots taken as people board during embarkation. You can see in the photos who is traveling as pairs, possibly 'couples,' and possibly 'family.' ;) Helps in identifying folk as the cruise unfolds.

Tune up your gaydar and have a great vacation!!

CM

You guys were on the same cruise? Small world.

Brian

Hi again BMW,

My p and I had a bout the same experience on the 2/14 cruise. we danced together at the captins cocktail and all was fine. See you booked MOS. We did also. we will be on it 10/02/05.

shane

If you want others to be able to identify you, wear a pride T-shirt when you board. That way when the embarkation pictures are posted you'll stand right out, and even guys with bad gaydar will know who and what you are!

And as far as an FOD get together, don't be shy about asking the Cruise Director to schedule one. I don't think they do so unless they are asked.

Hey that may be me! Do you or your partner work in nursing in Athens, GA? I remember meeting someone with a nursing t-shirt on..... Got so caught up on the cruise and never really ran into again. Sorry we didn't get the chance to chat.

yep we were we saw a few family members and that one lesbian couple who were honey mooners were right down the hall from us. Hell we met a couple while we were in line to get on the ship.

Hi again BMW,

My p and I had a bout the same experience on the 2/14 cruise. we danced together at the captins cocktail and all was fine. See you booked MOS. We did also. we will be on it 10/02/05.

shane

Hi Shane...glad to see you found the roll call for the 10/2/05 Mariner cruise, and that there will be a couple of more family members :D -Ralph and Ted

Shane - sorry we didn't get to have a cocktail and chat. Perhaps next time..... Booked the weekend version of the cruise for May 20th. Guess I got hooked after the first one.

Take care and tell your P I said hello.

Here are places onboard that I have always met "family" or bi curious guys:

At the Gym, early in am.

Check out the photo gallery to see if there are any men traveling alone or coupled.

Ask the entertainment director, might meet some gay crew.

Scan the pool area, family tends to end up grouped in one spot.

any questions email me jf2001ad@aolcom :cool:

That's a great idea! I've got plenty of pride-wear. I'm glad to read so many positive comments about cruising on a straight cruise. I have lots of gay and straight friends, so cruising on a mainline cruise is no bid deal to my partner and I so long as nobody is outwardly aggressive to us.

Hi Schplinky,

One source for getting good hints is to check the photo gallery the day after boarding. The photo shop will be posting the shots taken as people board during embarkation. You can see in the photos who is traveling as pairs, possibly 'couples,' and possibly 'family.' ;) Helps in identifying folk as the cruise unfolds.

Tune up your gaydar and have a great vacation!!

CM

Scoping the photo gallery only works for folks traveling as couples - rarely does it work for G&L folks who are traveling alone or as a member of an extended family.

Gay-dar works as well at sea as it does ashore. Also, striking up conversations w/ folks works wonders - I'm often introduced by kind str8 folks - passengers and crew - to other gay men on board.

Be yourself, say 'hello' and meet lots of interesting people of all types...

I sure hope all the comments on this chat board are working out to be good. I'm not going to wear anything pride related when I board the Carnival Destiny on May 22, 2005 but you should be able to tell if you see me around :)

I don't know about getting up that early to go to a gym but hey, you'll see me around the boat and be sure to identify me as a gay boy (and no that's not because I talk like a girl... lol :D )

Looks out the window at snow... hmm... just how many more days until this ship sails for me already?! :)

~Jake

Archived