Diving in Roatan or Grand Cayman

Mist_ynight

A friend of mine just booked the same cruise we are on and she is wondering where the best place to dive would be. She has dived in Cozumel and didn't enjoy it so she is considering diving in either Roatan or Grand Cayman. Any reccomendations from someone who has dived these before? Thanks

Diving in both Roatan and Grand Cayman are both excellent, but so is the diving in Cozumel. Why didn't your friend like the diving in Cozumel? If it is because of the currents in Cozumel, currents aren't as common in either Roatan or GC. But, IMHO Cozumel usually has better visability, lots of fish, nice coral and great sponges. What else could you want? Unless your friend has gotten spoiled from diving in Micronesia or the Red Sea, all three of these destinations should be considered excellent.

Cozumel has no wrecks, but Roatan and GC both have wrecks. However, none of the wrecks in either Roatan or GC offer the best diving those islands offer. The reefs and walls are what put those islands on the diving map, not wrecks.

I agree with 2112. If she didn't like Coz, I don't know if she'll like ROA or GC.

We just dove GC last week. Lot of whitening of the reef at the two sites we dove and very little sealife.

I doubt there will be much to see at the Kittawake since it hasn't been down long enough to be encrusted. Unless you just want to look at a ship.:)

When we dove Roatan last year we actually did a drift dive and upon coming up and the dive boat finding us, we stumbled upon a French lady who had been snorkeling and got caught in the current. She couldn't speak English but she was quite freaked out. I'm glad we happen to see her in the 2ft chop.

We dove with Bananarama and not far from their dive shop.

Archived