One day cruise

dalek20

Has anyone taken a one day cruise before. I can't imagine it being like a real (week) cruise. So what are some hints to make the most of it. I see it sort of like stopping in a town, getting a hotel, going out to dinner, and leaving the next morning. Only the hotel is moving!!

We did a one day cruise once. It was a "party boat" atmosphere---lots of large groups and birthday/retirement/anniversary celebrations. Things appeared to be not as organized onboard as they usually are. If we were to do a one day again we would make reservations in one of the alternative dining rooms (Crown Grill or Sabatini's) as soon as we got onboard as the main dining rooms were chaotic.

My wife and I thought that would be a good way to see if we would like cruising. Had breakfast in the morning on the ship. By early afternoon someone had medical problems and the ship had to go back to port. We begged to get off!:eek: Thought we would never cruise again. Years latter we gave a 7 Day cruise a try due to the ports of call. Found that it was nothing like the one day.:p We are now booked on our third cruise, a ten day and looking forward to it. I do not remember the cruise line of the one day. It was out of FTL. I tried to forget everything about it. :confused: The one day cruises today I hope would be better, but I can not imagine that it would be anything like a multiple day cruise.

We flew in the morning of the cruise and looked at it like a weekend getaway.

There are not activities, the spa and salon are open. The morning of disembarking the buffet was impossible unless you had gotten there when it opened. We did not go near the dining room, we dined in Crown Grill.

We got off and drove back. We thought it was nice, some do not think it is worth the hassle for one day. The lines are long and you stand in them for a long time to get on the ship. You take your own bags onto the ship so travel light. We will only do this again in a Full Suite, we took a balcony to see what it was like.

Hi...One day cruises are stressful if you are on the first cruise of the season leaving that port.

Our experience with the port of Vancouver was a hassle as there were 3 ships in port all leaving approximately at the same time and only one terminal to clear ALL the passengers on the 3 ships...a nightmare!!! Ships all departed late because of poor staffing and inexperienced government work crews. I do not know if it is same experience at the end of a season but I would never again take a 1 day cruise at the beginning of a season. Just my history of 1 day cruises.

If you are trying a one-day cruise to see if you will like cruising you will not get the same impression as going on a longer cruise. Things aren't in cabins that are normally there (pen and pad for instance) and the steward was only seen to say when you leave your room in the morning put your service card in the door.

The ship may or may not do regular seating for dinner (it was open seating for everyone). Other things are there - show, spa, internet. If you are doing it to get to the next level (platinum or elite) it is worth it but as said previously if you are going to sample cruising it really isn't like a real cruise

Archived