cruise credit for timeshare based trip?

I know that some cruisers use their timeshare points to purchase a cruise through Royal Caribbean. We are considering this possibility for later this year or next and are wondering if RCL grants cruise credits for such a trip. I am assuming that the answer is yes, but am curious. Thanks!

Which timeshares can be exchanged for cruises? I thought this was only possible with Disney?

If you're a member of RCI (Resorts Condo International), you can exchange your timeshare for a several hundred dollar discount on a cruise.

We booked our cruise on the Oasis last February through our timeshare company Diamond International. The rate was slightly discounted from the RCCL website. We cashed in our points but it was not enough even for one full fare on the cruise. So, my point is, don't be surprised how little your timeshare will be worth when trading for a cruise.

We currently own two Marriot weeks for Orlando area resorts and are enrolled in Interval. We never stay in our home resorts and always swap them. Every other year instead of exchanging our weeks into Interval for swapping we are allowed to turn them back to Marriot in exchange for Marriot miles. Our main credit card is also a Marriot Visa issued by Chase and feeds the same account.

Roughly, the number of miles received into our account is equal to 10 times the original purchase price. So a week bought in 1998 for $9,500 will bring us 95,000 Marriot Miles deposited in our account. Eventually when we decide to use them to buy a cruise, each 145,000 miles is worth $1,000 and the trip will be purchased thru a travel agency linked to Marriot. Since it is a cash deal and not a swap you can book any ship or time. And get Diamond and shareholder benefits.

You can also change fewer Miles for a lower dollar amount, 145,000 brings the best return. Any dollar shortage is paid in cash.

So if you buy a cruise worth $2,200 total you would transfer 290,000 miles and pay $200 via debit or credit card. The entire amount is paid when you book.

Archived