saving on snorkeling rental ?

cjsunsp88

We plan to snorkel in great stirrup cay next month (Norwegion Sky).

The snorkeling excursion is $29 per person. My understanding is that must be the price for gear rental. Is that true ?

It seems a good idea to bring my own snorkel and mask, but not sure if I should bring fins and vest, so got some questions:

1. If we rent fins only, is it cheaper than the full set (mask, snorkel & fin) ?

2. Is vest necessary there ? My wife is not a good swimmer and my son is only 5. Do they offer rental for vests ?

3. The cruise stops at Nassau & great stirrup cay, which one is better for snorkeling ? I guess stirrup cay is better since there is nothing else to do there. For Nassau, there are other shore activities. Any suggestion ?

Thanks a lot !

I've not been there yet either, but what I have heard is:

They "require" vests, can be rented for $5 if you have your own equipment

They may or may not enforce the "vest needed" issue.

You have your own equipment including vest? We have fins, masks and snorkels but no vests, so we will rent them if they require it. We are bringing the fins, masks and snorkels.

As for Nassau, it seems like there are snorkeling excursions (which would include equipment) or you rent a day pass at a hotel, which would include snorkeling and the equipment, too. The two free beaches are not great for snorkeling. Cabbage beach is rough, and there isn't really a snorkel area at Junkanoo beach. (what I have learned on these boards, anyway!) But, there are other things to do at the Nassau stop, excursions such as segways, dolphin encounter, Atlantis, etc...

Thanks for the reply, I'll bring mask & snorkel, but fins are too big for my luggage. So it'll be great if I can rent fins separately and it's cheaper than the whole rental package.

They "require" vests, can be rented for $5 if you have your own equipment

They may or may not enforce the "vest needed" issue.

You have your own equipment including vest? We have fins, masks and snorkels but no vests, so we will rent them if they require it. We are bringing the fins, masks and snorkels.

Archived