Taking soda on the ship

buckeyefan10

I see post where people take there own soda. How do you get it there? From my experence the soda will explode if you put it in your check in luggage. You can't put it in your carry on because it's over 4 oz. Is there a frig in the cabins? And do you need a key and get charged each time you open it? Help please!

I see post where people take there own soda. How do you get it there? From my experence the soda will explode if you put it in your check in luggage. You can't put it in your carry on because it's over 4 oz. Is there a frig in the cabins? And do you need a key and get charged each time you open it? Help please!

Buy your soda at the port before you board your ship..no i wouldnt trust it in my luggage. I believe there are only mini frig's in the suites. I dont know about the key.

We usually take a little soda on and pack it in our carry-on. As nytonowhere said, buy it in the port city. We just asked our cab driver to stop at a grocery store on the way to the pier last time.

Our cabin steward kept our ice bucket full and we had a small 12x12 cooler that he kept full of ice as well. We'd just keep a few cans in the cooler. :)

Most people will buy soda after their plane lands...They will have their taxi stop at a store on their way to the port. You have to carry your soda on the ship with you.

You may have a fridge. It depends on the ship, but just a warning the fridges are more like coolers and only keep your things slightly below room temperature. All rooms will have an ice bucket and some people bring collapsible coolers with them to have filled up with ice too.You don't need a key to get into the fridge. You will only be charged if you drink the soda that the ship put in there.

I buy my soda at the port before boarding the ship. I put it in a carry on and take it aboard.

I also bring a collapsable cooler. The steward always keeps ice in it for me. I have yet to have a "fridge" on a ship keep anything cold.

I buy my soda at the port before boarding the ship. I put it in a carry on and take it aboard.

I also bring a collapsable cooler. The steward always keeps ice in it for me. I have yet to have a "fridge" on a ship keep anything cold.

Where do you buy the collapsable cooler?

Is putting it in your carry-on a Carnival rule or is it just a recommendation due to flying. We always drive to the port and we've always packed it in our checked bags and haven't had a problem.

You're supposed to carry the soda/water on the ship. Carnival does not want it put in the checked bags anymore. YMMV

As far as flying...you can't carry on that much liquid. And I wouldn't recommend putting it in checked on the plane. That's why many people buy it at the port.

Here's the policy, from Carnival's FAQ's. They don't say why.

What is the Liquor and Beverage Policy?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

I have carried sodas, and beer packed in soda cartons countless times in my checked bags at the airport. I have never had any to "explode" in my luggage before. Looks like with the new policy, the beer packed in soda cartons are over though:(. Just about impossible to smuggle beer on board these days. A lot of soda cartons are being opened to make sure beer is not stashed inside........:eek: Anyway, there i no problem with carring soda in your checked bags on the airline.

I have carried sodas, and beer packed in soda cartons countless times in my checked bags at the airport. I have never had any to "explode" in my luggage before. Looks like with the new policy, the beer packed in soda cartons are over though:(. Just about impossible to smuggle beer on board these days. A lot of soda cartons are being opened to make sure beer is not stashed inside........:eek: Anyway, there i no problem with carring soda in your checked bags on the airline.

I normally just carry a 12 pack of soda on board, so you're saying they are going to open this up to check for beer then make me carry an opened 12 pack around with me on the ship until my cabin is ready?

Also, has anyone tried to bring a 12 pack of soda on board from a port?

Has not happed to me yet, I have not been on a cruise since they started cracking down so hard on alcohol smuggling. I have read several post where people have had to have their soda cartons opened so they can check to make sure it is not replaced with beer. Not sure whether they seal/tape it back up or not after the inspection:eek:

I normally just carry a 12 pack of soda on board, so you're saying they are going to open this up to check for beer then make me carry an opened 12 pack around with me on the ship until my cabin is ready?

Also, has anyone tried to bring a 12 pack of soda on board from a port?

The only time my soda has actually been checked was at the port of Tampa.

Last cruise, in Miami, they just asked me what was in my carry-on. I told them soda (which was the truth) and they let me pass without opening it.

I haven't tried to bring soda from a port...don't know the answer to that one.

If I ask a taxi driver to stop at a store for buying soda, doesn't the taxi meter run and the fare gets higher?

I just pack a 12 pack in my checked bag while flying, but before I give it to the cruise porters I take it out and carry it on the ship. I've never had a can leak or explode. Now if you pack on the heavy side this might not be an option for you.

Archived