Just off Ecstasy

Another good Carnival cruise! The first day was unusual because the ship didn't get into Galveston at 8 a.m. so we weren't able to board at 11-11:30 as usual. In fact, the ship was several hours late due to fog. I was leading a group of 27 people who were coming from San Antonio in separate cars. When I saw that the ship wasn't there at 8, I knew there was a problem and called Carnival but they didn't know anything about it and said the ship would leave on time. No Way! I called all my group members and told them to take their time because they would just have to wait in lines to even park! All the lots were filled up with people still on the ship. We hung around our hotel until one of the group members who was waiting in line said it finally began to move and people were being allowed up the escalator. It was about 12:30 but what those people didn't know was that they had a long way to go and would be spending hours waiting upstairs. What was the rush?

I kept telling my group that this was NOT how it usually goes. We have never had to wait to go up the escalator and had minimal waits for security and check in. This time there were long lines all the way across the front of the terminal just to get to the escalator then more long "snaking" lines to go through security and finally a last set of lines to get up to the desks to check in. After that we waited in chairs until it was our turn to board. (The first group was called to board around 3:30...some had gotten in line outside the terminal at 10 a.m.!) Carnival gave everyone a $15 per person credit for lunch since we weren't able to board in time so people left and walked across the parking lot to restaurants in Galveston.

Anyway we finally got on and found that all our cabins were ready and all our luggage had been delivered so that was a pleasant surprise. The crew was wonderful in spite of the time crunch. I was quite impressed that not only were they were able to get the others off and us on in so short a time, but the ship was ready for us.

The cruise seemed shorter because usually you can get down to some serious partying before the ship leaves Galveston. This time we were just trying to figure out where our dining room was so we could get there on time at 6 p.m.

After the first day things went smoothly. Debarkation was the easiest I've ever experienced. Carnival did it's usual great job. I'm already planning the next cruise!

Archived