Should I try the CROWN?

Crazsea

We are considering the 14 day Caribbean cruise out of Philly. The price & itinerary are wonderful, but with all the mixed reviews on the ship itself, I can't commit yet.:confused:

We are in our late 40's and have enjoyed all the main stream lines. We still like to have fun, dance, listen to the caribbean bands, sit at the bars and meet people and once in a while go to the shows.

I have read that the Crowns pool band is a 4 piece orchestra, not a carribbean band. Is this true?

Is there any other entertainment out by the pool?

How often do they grill ribs out by the pool.

How were the outside cabins? Any recomendations in Catagory F?

How was the Outdoor Bar outside by the hot tubs? Was it fun?

Was there any fun to be had on this ship or is it strickly for relaxing and reading books and quiet activities?

Is there a disco open each night?

I would appreciate any information you can give me on the Crown in order to help me make a decision and I thank you for your help!:D

Jonathan

Last August, there was a pool band,not an orchestra.

The BBQ is not at the pool(deck 7) but rather on deck 10 aft where an outdoor bar and hottubs are. We liked the deck 10 area alot.

We had a suite. My inlaws had an OV cabin and it was a typical outside cabin on an older ship, similar to others they have been in on RCCL. We thought the ship as a whole is very well maintained.

There were a variety of daily and nightly activities, the usual cruise stuff. Can't comment on the disco as we did not visit it.

Hi awatt,

It's good to know that there was a pool band. Did they play Caribbean music? The cruise I am interested in is a Caribbean cruise so I'm hoping they'll have Caribbean music playing.:)

I agree, deck 10 looks nice! Was the BBQ every day? I remember that it was very good on the Norway, but it was only one day.

Thanks awatt!

Jonathan

Hi smeyer,

AA suite, wow! They look very nice. Just not in my plans...I mean budget!LOL

Thanks for the information.

We are not picky critical people. We have set our expectations for this cruise at a level that I believe to be true. I have just been unsure as to whether or not the Crown might be a ghost ship with very few activities. I see that some of the information I have read was not complete.

Thank you for your comments!

Jonathan

YES!! I would go on this one if it sailed closer to my home!!!

When we went on one about this size before, since there was less people, we actually met and partied with a LOT of people. We even got to know their names. Since there is less open places to drink, every one might be in the same area.

Hi ArkansasFish,

That is one of the main ingredients in looking at the Crown. I agree that it will be more intimate and offer the oportunity to meet a lot of people.

Thanks to some favorable reading last night and all of your comments, I happilly and without reservation booked the cruise today.

The cruise will be what we make of it and therefore I am very excited about this two week itinerary!

Thank You Everyone!

Jonathan

Crazsea,

How well did the free style dining work on this ship? How many dining rooms are there? I was on the Crown before free style and I seem to remember there was only one dining room. My friend and I are booked for the 5/29/05 sailing out of NYC to Bermuda.

Maraprince

Maraprince,

I have not been on her yet and maybe never will. It appears that the sailing I booked has disappeared from the NCL listings. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! NCL makes me Crazsea!!!!!!!

Perhaps cruzinwithkids can help you with the information you requested! I hope you enjoy your cruise. Please come back and tell us all about it~!!!

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

I was told to book the Zenith to Bermuda instead of the Crown, but I think it depends on your preference. Zenith is more formal with traditional dining and some say better quality food. Crown is freestyle dining, more casual. But I would like to try a NCL for my next cruise... Maybe the Dawn... because I have never been on a freestyle cruise and would like to try it.

Hey all,

I'm new to this site - started looking for cruise reviews once I saw how small the Crown was. I must say, I am a little nervous since I've already booked this trip and there are numerous negative reviews... however, there are just as many positive ones.

For the price and itinerary, I couldn't pass this up. We're leaving out of Philly on 10/23 for a 13 night cruise to the Caribbean. I'm really excited about it - I thought it was a good mix of ports and days at sea - but from the way some of these reviews are... sheesh, I don't know! It also seems like we might be out of age range as well - we are mid to late 20's and by the way the reviews sound, it doesn't seem like we'd fit! I didn't, however, find a review on this particular cruise - maybe b/c they've never done it before?

Barbgazz, maybe I'll see you there :)

I was told to book the Zenith to Bermuda instead of the Crown, but I think it depends on your preference. Zenith is more formal with traditional dining and some say better quality food. Crown is freestyle dining, more casual. But I would like to try a NCL for my next cruise... Maybe the Dawn... because I have never been on a freestyle cruise and would like to try it.

I have previously sailed Zenith to Bermuda and was not overly impressed. The ship had no balcony cabins (Crown does) and I felt the much touted Celebrity food was over-rated and no better than any other cruise line I have sailed on. I also thought the ship pitched excessively in even calm seas? I much prefer freestyle dining and having sailed on the Dawn, I highly recommend it.

Souperjen,

This is our 9th cruise overall but our first on NCL. We too liked the longer itinerary. We did this same cruise on the Celebrity Horizon the year before last and it was great.

There is always a good mix of ages on every cruise I've been on. Granted it probably won't be teaming with youngsters, but I'm sure you'll find people to hang with.

By the way, I just bought our airfare home on November 5th out of fort lauderdale (which is about 20 miles from Miami) for $79.00 per person on Airtran. Check it out before the flight prices soar because of the price of fuel. And hope to see you on board.

Hi paddy Anne and everyone else!

Here's what I know about the April 9, 2006 sailing of the Norwegian Crown. I have been told by a supervisor in reservations that the ship is overbooked by 137 cabins. They are not selling the cruise anymore. I suspect those 137 cabins are the result of early bookings(including mine) prior to the ship being chartered. Although the supervisor would not tell me who chartered the ship, I was not willing to be surprised so I gave up my booking on that date.

I am now booked on the March 27th Relocation Cruise originating in Miami and concluding in Philadelphia. I did like the Itinerary of the April 9 cruise a little better until I checked pricing on the March 27th cruise and found I'd be saving several hundred dollars for the slight change of islands. I will fly down on a Saturday and spend 2 days in sunny Ft.Lauderdale, Florida prior to boarding the ship rather than starting my cruise in CHILLY Pensylvania!

I chose an inside cabin on this ship because Patty and I truly make the most of the ship and the islands and spend VERY little time in the cabin. Besides, no balconies on this ship except for a few penthouse suites! YIKES!!!

Well, I ended up paying $816.00 pp. for a category J. Pretty darn good I think for a 13 night cruise. Yes, I realize the ship is older and smaller, but we're not too fussy! We will have done one Voyager class and four Grand class ships just prior to boarding the Norwegian Crown, so we are looking forward to a more intimate experience. I hope this helps some of you and I'll look forward to seeing you onboard!!!LOL

For all of you sailing on her before our cruise, we will be looking forward to some updated reviews!! Good or bad, it won't change my mind but will help to put things in prospective for us. And folks, just remember, read those reviews out there, but remember they are just another persons OPINION!!!!

Safe and pleasant sailings to you ALL!!!

Jonathan:D

(Born in Toronto...just thought I'd add that for you paddy Anne!!)LOL

We sailed NCL Majesty for 14 days in December (back to back 7 day cruises). This was our first experience with NCL and Freestyle and we loved it. Majesty cabins are very small - 108 sq. ft - but even so, we loved everything about it. Freestyle was great - we could eat dinner at 6 one evening and 7:30 the next. We could ask to be seated with others or at a table for 2. The staff was fantastic. Even though you are having different waiters all the time, they all remember you and the service was excellent - on a par with Celebrity. The food was also wonderful.

I am hoping this means all NCL ships are as good since we are in the process of booking the 10/23 on the Crown. We have won a bid on skyauction, but are waiting final confirmation from them before we book air. barbgazz, I am assuming your air for $79 is back to Philly. We will be driving to Philly since we have family there and then will be needing one way flights back. Thanks so much for the info. We didn't realize that Ft. Lauderdale was a seperate airport - thought you flew into Miami for that. email me with your address, if you'd like. If all works out for us, perhaps we would consider sharing transportation to the airport. With 4 people, sometimes limos are as cheap as cabs or shuttles.

barbgazz and souperjen24, do either of you know if a thread has been started on the roll call board for this cruise?

Marylou

I sailed on the Crown last year on a Philly to Bermuda cruise and enjoyed it so much I scheduled the same cruise again this year.

I've done five cruises with NCL (2 on the Sea, 2 on the Sun and 1 on the Crown) and have to say the food and crew on the Crown were the best of the bunch. (Enjoyed all our cruises, but this one stood out).

The crew was very friendly and the ship is comfortable and intimate. Top of the Crown is a lovely place to have a drink. The ship's small size enables it to visit three different parts of Bermuda which was nice too.

It's an older ship, so not loaded with amenities and does show a little wear and tear, but it's also easy to find your way around.

There was some sickness on my cruise too. I listened to one guy rant and rave about it then watched him leave the restroom without bothering to wash his hands. I was thankful I didn't have to share a table with that guy.

NCL usually has hand washing stations at entry to dining areas and for boarding and departing the ship.

Dan

I am also looking into the Crown,but for next year.I like her itinerary of 3 ports and also the fact that she sails from New York.This would be my 3 cruise on Ncl 1-1980 Southward 2-1997 Norway .I think that freestyle would work out great for this cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't hestitate to book the Crown. Just returned from the 13 day repo and really enjoyed the ship. It is going in for 2 week refit as we speak, and having new carpets, mattresses, bedding etc put in. This was our 8th cruise and we were a little apprehensive when booking, but the price and islands offerred were too good to pass up. We were very pleasantly surprised by the ship and really enjoyed it. You get to meet more people, and the crew gets to know your likes and dislikes. It may have fewer restaurants etc, but there are fewer people using them. We ate in the Seven Seas dining room , probably 6 or 7 times and never had to wait to be seated. We also booked the alternative restaurants easily. Believe me when I say I really overpacked for this trip,but despite that, there was room to unpack and put everything away and have lots of space left unused(category ii). The actual pool deck is small but there are several tiered decks that look down on it which are perfect for sunning. It always looked full, but I always managed to find a chair. I will post a full review in a few days when I get used to land life again

GREAT NEWS!!!:D :D

I have been waiting for you and your group to return with some news!

Thanks so much for the info so far. I'm even more excited about the Crown. I can not wait to read your review. Please post it soon!!!

I'm booked on the repo for next year at this time.

Jonathan

Archived