Worth taking the ferry just for the ride?

lochncup

DH has some mobility issues and isn't a fan of beaches to begin with. Since we have no interest in going to the Baths or hiking down to a beach would it be a good idea to just take the ferry ride over to the Baths just for the pleasure of being on the boat? We recently cruised to Bermuda and spent hours on the ferrys there and it was really a lovely way for us to spend some time enjoying the views. Somewhere on these boards I remember reading about an eatery at the top of the Baths where the view was spectacular ...now that would be something we'd both enjoy.

DH has some mobility issues and isn't a fan of beaches to begin with. Since we have no interest in going to the Baths or hiking down to a beach would it be a good idea to just take the ferry ride over to the Baths just for the pleasure of being on the boat? We recently cruised to Bermuda and spent hours on the ferrys there and it was really a lovely way for us to spend some time enjoying the views. Somewhere on these boards I remember reading about an eatery at the top of the Baths where the view was spectacular ...now that would be something we'd both enjoy.

A suggestion:

Take the ferry to VG (The ferry ride is scenic). Then arrange a taxi tour of the island with one of the taxi drivers. It's not a big island and there are some lovely views. Get your driver to drop you off at the Top of the Baths. The restaurant does have great views. Arrange to have your driver come back at a specific time to pick you up. (Make sure you REALLY understand the return schedule for the ferry.).

I would agree with Zeno. The views from Gorda Peak are really spectacular. I especially love the ones overlooking the North Sound (see picture). Top Of The Baths also has a nice pool that is open to customers, so if you wanted to take a dip there you can (2nd picture). The 3rd picture is taken from Top Of The Baths.

388788995_BVITRIP082.jpg.a3f89d01639ff70dd72547c2752130ed.jpg

354946355_BVITRIP127.jpg.1ed6727d9dd3a1196d9b8d0b6183a587.jpg

1870007274_BVITRIP126.jpg.b7d67c776019446f8fbecf7636985ac5.jpg

The pool at Top Of The Baths is free to customers, so as long as you are eating or drinking there you can use it.

If you want to skip the ferry, you can do a taxi tour of Tortola. In my opinion, Virgin Gorda is prettier and is much less crowded. The ferry schedule isn't hard to understand, but you do need to pay attention so you don't miss your departure. The ferries are not just for tourists; it is how the local peope get from island to island, so sometimes they don't leave right on time. I always buy one way ferry tickets (not round trip) so that I have some flexibility. That way you can even switch ferry companies if one of them has a better departure time for you.

I see. Thank you. Another question or two:) What would be the taxi fare from the port to the ferry dock? My DH has some mobility issues and walking to the ferry dock would be challenging. Also, would you know the fare from the ferry to the Baths? I sorta remember reading that there was a shuttle from the ferry...is that then included in the price of the ferry ticket. Thanks in advance!

Thanks, folks!

Zeno:

1) Do you think it makes more sense to take a taxi tour of VG rather than a taxi tour of Tortola?

2) Is the ferry schedule that confusing?

Nabby:

Would you know the charge to swim in the pool?

1. Like Nabby I kinda favour VG for a taxi tour because it will be quieter and it's more unique. However if the thought of taking the ferry is intimidating you, a taxi tour of Tortola would be nice too.

2. The ferry schedule is not really that confusing but you do have to understand the return times (sometimes they vary depending on the day of the week). Last time I went I confirmed that I understood my intended return ferry time with an officer on the ferry - just to be safe.

We usually get a return ticket with the same ferry company to save money (I'm cheap).

As Nabby says re: " Top of the Baths" - as long as you buy a drink or a meal or a snack, you can use the pool. It's a bit pricey (remember I'm cheap) but the view is superb - so I have pryed my wallet open on occasion.

I see. Thank you. Another question or two:) What would be the taxi fare from the port to the ferry dock? My DH has some mobility issues and walking to the ferry dock would be challenging. Also, would you know the fare from the ferry to the Baths? I sorta remember reading that there was a shuttle from the ferry...is that then included in the price of the ferry ticket. Thanks in advance!

We always walk to the ferry dock so I don't know the exact fare but it should not be much more thant $5.00 TOTAL because it's only about a 2 minute drive. Ask at the tourist info centre that is located right at the dock.

Re: fare to The Baths from VG ferry dock

You can get a ferry package that involves - return ferry ride AND return shuttle to The Baths - it is a good deal. BUT given your husband's mobility issues (they use rather high jitney style open-air vehicles to do this), you may want to take a regular taxi. I always get the 'deal' but a taxi ride from the ferry dock to The Baths should not cost you much more than $10 ONE way. Be sure to arrange with your driver about when to pick you up. If you are going to tour the island with him - I am sure he will give you a deal of some sort - so negotiate.

Archived