Reclining stroller needed?

GracieCat0_1

DS will be 20 months on his first cruise. From the experienced cruiser parents, is a flat reclining stroller essential on a cruise or is lightweight preferable? We have Peg Perego P3 which fully reclines, but it is big and heavy. We have a BOB revolution, but that's not coming! I was thinking about getting the Maclaren Triumph for a lightweight umbrella stroller, but that model doesn't fully recline. DS is only in the jogger for neighborhood walks. I'm not sure if he would fall asleep in the stroller or not. Should we get the Triumph for it's lightweightness and convenience to use on board and maybe Old San Juan? I know OSJ is cobblestones! The other places we will be going to the beach.

I enjoyed being able to recline my girls and let them sleep in the stroller while I wandered the ship or when they got exhausted during port days (beach towels from your room are great covers over the stroller to block out the light). In real life they didn't usually sleep in the stroller, but they would conk out during vacations.

Best,

Mia

My girls are now 8 and 10 but years ago when we cruised with only 1 at 15 months, we put her to bed in the portacrib then after she was sound asleep we put her in a full reclining stroller and covered with a dark blanket. We went to the shows and wondered the ship every night until we were tired. She slept great and we didn't have to stay in the room at 7:30 every night.

when we cruised when DD was 13 months old we went back to the cabin...let her fall asleep reclined in the stroller ( a lightweight but not an umbrella) and then we covered it with a blanket and wandered the ship at night..even went to a loud mexican fiesta party and she slwpt during the whole thing.

this time in April out little one will be 26 months and we plan on bringing a lightweight reclining stroller...not our big one.

I think it depends on your child and whether or not they will fall asleep/stay asleep in the stroller

Of all the money I've spent on baby gear, the Maclaren Triumph is probably the ONLY piece of equipment that was worth the money I paid. I bought it when my DS was about 8 months, and we still use it now that he's four. He's tall for his age, but still manages to fall asleep in it. I guess old habits die hard. Maclaren has a more expensive model that does fully recline, but they were out of stock the day I decided to buy it for my son so we ended up with the Triumph. When he was younger there would have been times the full recline would have been nice, but all in all, I have no complaints with the Triumph. Get one before you travel so he can get used to it. If you use it half as much as we did, it's still worth the money.

He turned 4 last month and we've used it on 13 of the 14 cruises we've taken him on. On one cruise we used our Peg Perego and learned our lesson, it was great because it had the tray and full recline, but just too big for a cruise ship. After that cruise I bought the optional tray for the Maclaren which came in handy when he was younger.

We have a peg perego aria and its perfect. It was a lifesaver on our last cruise because DS age 24mo napped in it every day. He wouldnt settle down in the cabin during the day so we had to wheel him around reclined and he would go right to sleep. It has all the features of a full size stroller but is smaller. It fits through all hallways and doorways including the cabin door, fits folded up in the cabin closet and only weighs 9# so if you need to fold it up and carry it downstairs its perfect for that. We have taken it on 12 cruises and its a lifesaver

We have a BOB revolution, but that's not coming!.

I was thinking of bringing our BOB...just wondering why you decided against it?

I know it's a little big, but I've been thinking about the wheelchairs I've seen, and figure it's really not that much different.

I was thinking of bringing our BOB...just wondering why you decided against it?

I know it's a little big, but I've been thinking about the wheelchairs I've seen, and figure it's really not that much different.

You will need to fold it to store it in your cabin when not in use. You cannot store it in the passageway or alcove. Fortunately though, it is something you would be able to do, even though it would take a fair amount of cabin storage. Wheelchair users often cannot cruise at all if they aren't able to book an HC cabin because their wheelchairs will not fit through the standard doorways and cannot easily (if at all) be maneuvered through standard cabin setups. They also are not allowed to store their wheelchairs in the passageways.

The BOB may not seem much different from a wheelchair and it may not be much harder to maneuver in the often narrow passageways, but it will likely be more awkward in places like the elevator and other enclosed spaces. Wheelchairs are usually "self-contained" in that there is not often another person "attached" to it to move it. You will need to accomodate its length/width, as well as you navigating it, which can be tricky and awkward. In crowded areas, you'll need to be on the lookout for other passengers stopping abruptly or trying to negotiate around you.

That's not to say that you shouldn't bring it if that's what you prefer. Just be aware that it will be more of a challenge onboard than other smaller, easily storable strollers. And be aware of the tighter spaces onboard and the plethora of passengers trying to negotiate them.

beachchick

You will need to fold it to store it in your cabin when not in use. You cannot store it in the passageway or alcove. Fortunately though, it is something you would be able to do, even though it would take a fair amount of cabin storage. Wheelchair users often cannot cruise at all if they aren't able to book an HC cabin because their wheelchairs will not fit through the standard doorways and cannot easily (if at all) be maneuvered through standard cabin setups. They also are not allowed to store their wheelchairs in the passageways.

The BOB may not seem much different from a wheelchair and it may not be much harder to maneuver in the often narrow passageways, but it will likely be more awkward in places like the elevator and other enclosed spaces. Wheelchairs are usually "self-contained" in that there is not often another person "attached" to it to move it. You will need to accomodate its length/width, as well as you navigating it, which can be tricky and awkward. In crowded areas, you'll need to be on the lookout for other passengers stopping abruptly or trying to negotiate around you.

That's not to say that you shouldn't bring it if that's what you prefer. Just be aware that it will be more of a challenge onboard than other smaller, easily storable strollers. And be aware of the tighter spaces onboard and the plethora of passengers trying to negotiate them.

beachchick

What she said!

You can get a lightweight stroller that does fully recline.

We just cruised with a 4.5yo and a 15month old. We brought two small strollers. We brought a combi which folds up VERY small and easliy stored in the closet for the 4.5 yo. It also only weighs about 10lbs. It reclines almost fully and she did fall asleep in it in Roatan. In addition, it has a small cup/snack holder on the safety bar. However, the basket is useless if you ask me!

We also brought a Baby Trend Trendsport (think that's what it's called) that does recline fully and the 15mo old slept in it frequently. It also has a great basket. It also has a snack tray/cup holder. It only weighs about 13 lbs or so. It too is light and more compact that a full size stroller.

For me, it was imperative to have a snack tray/safety bar as both my kids use them all the time.

Good luck!

beachchick

But wait, it's MY vacation...shouldn't they just get out of OUR way....

I'm completely kidding...you've talked me out of taking the BOB. I was only thinking width (which is actually not that bad)...and not length, which would be a hassle...ensuring we're not bumping into people in narrow passages.

We already have two strollers, plus a snap-in-go...so I'm a little hard headed about buying another stroller...but the Baby trendsport lite looks like a good option! Not that expensive either.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Archived