Seatbelts in Taxis in Nassau & Freeport

Parent22

Hi, everyone. I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything very current or decisive on the question. We will be going to Nassau & Freeport. In Nassau, we will be taking a taxi from the ship to the Paradise Island ferry terminal to go to Blue Lagoon. In Freeport, we will probably catch a cab to and from Lucaya for shopping/beach. Can anyone confirm whether the cabs in both ports have seatbelts -- the kind that go over your shoulder, not lapbelts. We would like to bring boosters for our 2 boys to use in the taxis (the kind of booster that doesn't attach to anything but just raises you high enough so the shoulder belt fits properly), but we don't want to lug them if we can't use them. Thanks!

I can only speak of my one (lucky) experience last April in Nassau. My family of 4 ended up in a clean, air conditioned 4 door sedan taxi with seat belts and a friendly female taxi driver. She told me that they try to herd tourists into the sketchy taxi vans but you can speak up and request a taxi alone with seatbelts, airconditioning, even a female driver if you prefer. They can't charge you any more for these requests because the rates are set by the government. You may have to wait longer to find a driver with said vehicle willing to take you where you want to go though. There is a taxi official (can't remember the title) at the port giving out assignments and making sure drivers aren't taking advantage of tourists.

Before this, I had no idea that I could request a vehicle with seat belts or a small car that doesn't have any passengers other than my family.

I'm curious to read other people's experience.

In Nassau we have only taken the Water Taxi over to Paradise Is. Drops you very near where you need to be I believe In case you want to consider that. But in Freeport my son has always had to ride on our laps. It is ok but still a little nervousness involved. Bothtimes we have been to freeport he was charged one way and not the other. I just generally forget to ask as he does not take a seat so why should he be charged? But back on the subject more than likely you will have to hold the kids on laps. Just hold onto them. they drive pretty wild sometimes but they don't want to be too crazy either. Btw... generally No seatbelts unless you are sitting in the front seat either.

Any car made in the last 40 years has seat belts. The thing is, almost no one wears them in taxis. Because of that, they might be all buried/twisted up in the seat or whatever. Might take a couple minutes to dig them out and untangle I assume.

Hi, everyone. I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything very current or decisive on the question. We will be going to Nassau & Freeport. In Nassau, we will be taking a taxi from the ship to the Paradise Island ferry terminal to go to Blue Lagoon. In Freeport, we will probably catch a cab to and from Lucaya for shopping/beach. Can anyone confirm whether the cabs in both ports have seatbelts -- the kind that go over your shoulder, not lapbelts. We would like to bring boosters for our 2 boys to use in the taxis (the kind of booster that doesn't attach to anything but just raises you high enough so the shoulder belt fits properly), but we don't want to lug them if we can't use them. Thanks!

It's hit or miss. Taxi's are not required to have them, and most are large vans with multiple rows of seats with more people stuffed in than there should be. I wouldn't count on seat belts in the port vans. You may be lucky, but there's just no telling. Plus, those van rows only have one set of shoulder straps. on the end seat. and that seat may already be taken.

Archived