Jewel Suite and Tipping

Pitipat

It's a personal preference but we do leave a few dollars in Cagneys for B&L each time for the servers and we do tip extra in the specialty restaurants. We feel the service usually deserves it. But again, it's a personal preference.

Enjoy your suite!

We ate at Cagneys almost every day for lunch as it seemed that we never got there in time for breakfast ;) and tipped $10. When we ate there for dinner one night we tipped $20.

In the MDR where we ate dinner 2 times & dinner at the Blue Lagoon we tipped $10. At the pay restaurants for dinner we usually tipped $15 to $20.

The service we received in all restaurants was prompt, friendly, and always with a smile. No complaints.

For our Butler Ravi and Concierge Adrian we put aside an extra $40 per day ($20 PP) and split it between them at the end of the cruise and gave James our Steward (we never met his assistant if he had one) $125.

Come to think of it I think we actually gave Adrian a little more of the tip as we only used Ravi a few times for some room service, but relied on Adrian for reservations and other things. Both were excellent.

This of course is just our experience. We felt that everyone went above and beyond to make sure our cruise was wonderful.

Tipping is so personal and I truly have no idea if in the end we didn't tip enough. I'm just giving you the information from our cruise experience and the tips we felt were appropriate.

Hope you have as great a cruise as we did.

We ate at Cagneys almost every day for lunch as it seemed that we never got there in time for breakfast ;) and tipped $10. When we ate there for dinner one night we tipped $20.

In the MDR where we ate dinner 2 times & dinner at the Blue Lagoon we tipped $10. At the pay restaurants for dinner we usually tipped $15 to $20.

The service we received in all restaurants was prompt, friendly, and always with a smile. No complaints.

For our Butler Ravi and Concierge Adrian we put aside an extra $40 per day ($20 PP) and split it between them at the end of the cruise and gave James our Steward (we never met his assistant if he had one) $125.

Come to think of it I think we actually gave Adrian a little more of the tip as we only used Ravi a few times for some room service, but relied on Adrian for reservations and other things. Both were excellent.

This of course is just our experience. We felt that everyone went above and beyond to make sure our cruise was wonderful.

Tipping is so personal and I truly have no idea if in the end we didn't tip enough. I'm just giving you the information from our cruise experience and the tips we felt were appropriate.

Hope you have as great a cruise as we did.

Thank you for posting your tipping amounts from your recent cruise. It makes it easier to budget when you can actually read what someone else has done in a suite that you plan on booking. I have read excellent things about both Ravi & Adrian from the Jewel. I hope my experience equals the service you received. Thanks again.

we are going on the Jewel next month. We have a suite, if we go to Cagneys' for breakfast or lunch do you leave a tip? Also in the pay restaurants would you do the same?

I don't think it is necessay, but if you feel excellence warrants something extra it is always appreciated. I ate breakfast every day except one and lunch about half the time there. I had planned to tip all of my faves, I'd made envelopes up and then I was worried I wouldn't see them all, so I ended up tracking them down the night before disembarkation while they were working in various venues. I think I put $20 in various envelopes for each server and $40 for our Matre D who we loved. I think next cruise I will just leave something at each meal. Obviously I felt the service I received was exceptional. This is an awesome perk.

Thank you for posting your tipping amounts from your recent cruise. It makes it easier to budget when you can actually read what someone else has done in a suite that you plan on booking. I have read excellent things about both Ravi & Adrian from the Jewel. I hope my experience equals the service you received. Thanks again.

We loved our service on the Jewel (courtyard villa) but I have to say we did not tip anywhere near $20 a day to our butler Jurehemer or to Adrian. We were on the 10 day caribbean the beginning of the month. We did tip at Teppanyaki, never walked into the dining room, and had breakfast in the courtyard every morning from Cagney's. We focused our tips on the people not included in the daily service charge, with extra of course ot the room steward. As it has been said it is personal and you will know exactly what you want to do when you see the service you receive from those not in the DSC.

We tipped a few dollars when we ate at Cagney's for breakfast & lunch and we also left a few dollars in the MDR when we ate. We also leave exra when we eat at the specialty restaurants.

It depends on how you feel the service was but we have always had good service.

For the butler we usually leave between 25-35 dollars a day and the concierge about 10 dollars a day(we really don't use the concierge)

We tipped a few dollars when we ate at Cagney's for breakfast & lunch and we also left a few dollars in the MDR when we ate. We also leave exra when we eat at the specialty restaurants.

It depends on how you feel the service was but we have always had good service.

For the butler we usually leave between 25-35 dollars a day and the concierge about 10 dollars a day(we really don't use the concierge)

Now I am feeling that we completely blew it on the tips. Having only cruised NCL once (but going again in March) this was a new experience for us.

Same as many, leaving a few dollars (usually a $5) for breakfast or lunch at Cagney's and about $10 for dinner for two at a specialty (haven't eaten in the MDR in a long time). Butler usually averages about $25 per day for the basics plus breakfast a few times ensuite, concierge usually averages about $15-20 per day for all included services and invitations. Room steward an extra $25 or more for lots of towel animals! have a great cruise! Oops, added: this is for 7 days, 2 people, about double if we bring our daughters.

Robin

just to clarify...

the steward is included in the daily fee, correct? You are talking about an additional tip for that person? I want to make sure I understand who is covered by the fee. (My understanding is room steward and servers. While the bar adds 18%) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The butler and concierge receive nothing from the daily service charge, right?

just to clarify...

the steward is included in the daily fee, correct? You are talking about an additional tip for that person? I want to make sure I understand who is covered by the fee. (My understanding is room steward and servers. While the bar adds 18%) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct.

just to clarify...

Yes, the stewards are included in the service charge. It's completely up to you whether you tip them extra or not. we generally give just a bit more simply because they seem to go above and beyond, especially for the suites. The servers in Cagney's and every other dining venue are also included. We generally tip extra because the best servers seem to end up in the Specialties and Cagney's and we like to reward them for their attentiveness (we don't eat in the MDR usually). Quite honestly, I feel that the DSC doesn't add up to

enough for the service we receive!

You are also correct about the butler and concierge, they are not included in

the DSC.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to all those who tip their servers, but we just got off the Spirit and never once tipped at Cagney's. I was told that the $60 per day (there are 5 in my family) covers all the servers, and you can give extra to people like the butler and concierge who do not benefit from the service charges. I felt very comfortable with that and only tipped our butler and concierge extra.

We usually sail in suites and we do not have a formula for tipping..At the end of our cruise my wife and I put our heads together and come up with a figure ...It really depends on how much we use the butler and the concierge..

We don't tip based on the fact that they are available, we are already paying for that in the cost of the suite, we tip based on usage..

On our last cruise Adrien really helped us with 2 issues and he was justly rewarded..

We also tipped at Cagney's on our last day. I asked our waiter about the tipping and he told me they give the tips to the assistant waiters..

I am new to NCL and was wondering how the tipping works on NCL??

Do you pay upfront?

How much do you pay?

There will be 5 of us.

Someone told me you could tell the steward not to do your room during the week is that true? I would want me room done everyday.

You pay nothing upfront, but a $12 service charge pp per day is added to your room. So, for 5 people you will have $60 added to your room every day. Children are the same (I think unless they are under 3?). If you have a suite, your concierge and butler are not included in the service charge, so you are expected to tip them separately if you are pleased with their service. Also, kids club workers are expected to be tipped separately.

I'm sure you can tell your steward you don't want your room made up every day, but you will still be charged the service charge (although you could ask for it to be removed/reduced on the last day if you want to).

I am new to NCL and was wondering how the tipping works on NCL??

Do you pay upfront?

How much do you pay?

There will be 5 of us.

Someone told me you could tell the steward not to do your room during the week is that true? I would want me room done everyday.

You can pay your DSC ahead of the cruise so you don't have to worry about it once on board and if you want to tip extra to anyone you can jsu tdo that.

Assuming you are going on a 7 day cruise, your DSC is $420 for the lot of you.

Archived