Name some songs you've heard in the "dance clubs"

helenparr

Hello hello!

We're sailing the majesty on 2/18. I was looking at a compass from last year and saw "dance music with dj so-and-so" and was wondering what constitutes "dance music." when we sailed the enchantment in 2002 i think i heard "smooth" by santana (featuring rob thomas) in the VC during one of the dance nights, and, um, well, that's not dance music.

have things changed? name some songs you've heard lately? i looooove to get down and i'm looking forward to at least being able to shake it to rhianna's "only girl in the world" or usher's "dj got us fallin in love." i'm not expecting french indie electronica of course...i wonder if these guys have ever heard of deadmau5? getting my hopes up i think. :p

thank you all.

Hello hello!

We're sailing the majesty on 2/18. I was looking at a compass from last year and saw "dance music with dj so-and-so" and was wondering what constitutes "dance music." when we sailed the enchantment in 2002 i think i heard "smooth" by santana (featuring rob thomas) in the VC during one of the dance nights, and, um, well, that's not dance music.

have things changed? name some songs you've heard lately? i looooove to get down and i'm looking forward to at least being able to shake it to rhianna's "only girl in the world" or usher's "dj got us fallin in love." i'm not expecting french indie electronica of course...i wonder if these guys have ever heard of deadmau5? getting my hopes up i think. :p

thank you all.

I'm very much like you. In my experience, the DJ caters to the crowd. If the majority of the crowd enjoys 70's music, that's what he'll play. However, the music usually gets younger as the night gets older. Starting about 11 he'll start with some Usher and Rihanna and by 1 am it'll be very hip hop oriented. Also, they will take requests, but as I said, the more current music usually starts a little later in the evening.

Enjoy!

Royal Caribbean for some strange reason use DJs from The Scratch Acadamy, most of whom do not seem to know what a scratch DJ actually is, thank god.

Although very few of them would actually get empoyed in the clubs I operate, they are.... now what is the word I am looking for...of yes "rubbish".

They seem to play for their own enjoyment regardless of the effect on the dance floor or with any variance depending on the clientele at the time.

Also alot of ships mow use DJs for the so called "sail away party" , this is a shame as they fail to create any kind of party atmosphere at all. I have passed this comment many times on the end of cruise comment cards, as yet to no avail.

Hello hello!

thank you all.

LOL yes, they played this in the nightclub all the time on the AOS in Europe last November as it was in the charts at the time. :) I think by "dance music" they mean top 40 with a few oldies thrown in, sometimes a bit of rock, and hip-hop stuff the average person doesn't know.

I agree with some of the others, the music gets more "current" later in the evening, especially after midnight, but the DJ's also fail to pick up on what people are enjoying and continue to play complete rubbish despite the fact that everyone has left the dancefloor. :rolleyes:

Based on my experience the DJ will typically play your requests. There are a couple of Bob Sinclair dance songs we always request and we have had no problems getting them plated.

The songs I remember most from our cruise on the Serenade a couple of weeks ago are "The Time (Dirty Bit)" by the Black Eyed Peas and "We No Speak Americano" by Jolanda Be Cool and Dcup. I do recall some Rianna being played so you probably won't have a problem hearing the songs you like. If you don't hear it go ahead and request it.

In my "Disco" experience on various ships, it all depends on the particular DJ! Some always take requests, have a large song list, and keep the crowd dancing!

Others have been arrogant and totally ignore requests! (An Egyptian DJ on Freedom, who shall remain nameless, comes to mind!):o

I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Conrad from India on Grandeur...think he might be on Jewel these days...who IMHO, by far and away, was the best DJ I've ever heard on a RCCL Ship, and I've sailed a few of them! ;)

Conrad mentioned that a lot of PAX ask the DJ to play a song from their own Ipod or CD, but RCCL forbids this practice for obvious reasons.

Popular songs I remember from my last few sailings were:

"I gotta feeling"

"Blame it on the alcohol"

"OMG"

"Cotton Eyed Joe" (for the Southern folks!)

Any song by Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Drake, Jason Derulo, Sean Kingston, etc.

I gotta feeling...your cruise's gonna be a good cruise!!!! Happy sailing!!!

P.S.U. As a final thought, you'll probably hear "Cupid Shuffle" way too many times on your cruise!!! :cool:

Archived