The truth about Bare Minerals....please!!!!

Bargeo

Have never used this make-up and am curious. Is it everything they say it is? Good coverage? If you tried it....do you continue to use it? If so....why? If not .....why? Tell me all about it.......the truth......please!!!!!!!

I have it and I LOVE it, so does my mom. It covers anything you want it to cover and it does it very well. It stays on longer and you can't even feel it on. It doesn't clog pores either. My skin looks so much better when I use it because it doesn't make me break out. I would highly recommend it.

I am one of the few who does not like bare minerals. I can't understand how people say it covers so well. I will admit I'm no artist at applying make up, but the only way I could get it to cover anything was to put a lot on and then it looked really cakey. Also, it tends to have a shine, which I don't like. I did find a way I kind of like to use up what I bought. I mix a little of the bare minerals foundation powder into my sunscreen and apply. It gives a little color. Then I use a translucent powder very lightly.

You will find most people just love this stuff, so I have to think I"m just not expert enough to apply it. But then, I don't really want to use a product that I have to be an expert to use.

Good luck if you decide to try it ! I think if you have a really good complexion to start with, it may be the product for you!

The truth lies in the mind of the beholder, I'm sure!

I bought a trial package of BareMinerals last fall and have been using it since then. My first impressions were that it does seem to stay put better than the liquid foundation I'd been using and I do feel that it provides a nice coverage when I use my concealer brush to apply over my imperfections before or after using the full coverage or kabuki brush.

I don't see the "shine" that others have complained about (not just on this thread) but if I look really closely in the mirror, I see a dryness or powdery look to it that I don't care for. Hopefully nobody is getting that close to me to notice this! It also tends to settle in fine wrinkles but does not migrate into areas of my face that crease when I smile, etc. if that makes sense.

I keep both BareMinerals and a liquid foundation in my cosmetic stash and generally find myself reaching for the BareMinerals, but there are a few days when I prefer the liquid.

My favorite thing about the BareMinerals is the coverage over spots and imperfections- the ability to use the same foundation for extra coverage is really nice. I found that cream concealers tend to wear away the moment I put on the liquid foundation over them or don't look right when applied on top of liquid foundation.

Just so you know, if you have a Sephora or Ulta store in your area, they generally carry BareMinerals, so you can go in and try them out then probably buy a trial pack which includes two foundation shades, "Warmth", a couple of brushes, etc. and that's a nice way to get started and the sizes that come with it are perfect for travel! I now buy my refills from DermStore.com because I use a coupon code for a discount.

Good luck!

I bought some Bare Minerals foundation, and also decided to buy some blush too. I got mine through QVC. I hate, absolutely hate, wearing makeup. I have health problems that give me rotten skin to start with, so I thought I'd use the Bare Minerals because it seemed like less fuss, and would be just enough coverage to make me feel as if I was dressed up a bit.

I've only used it twice so far (don't want to use it all up before I cruise next month), and I have to say that I don't hate it as much as my regular style foundation, which would cake on my skin and accentuate my flaws. I don't think the Bare Minerals does that, and it feels light, like "nothing", actually, which I love. I don't think it really looks as though I'm wearing make up at all.... I kind of wish it looked a bit more made up, really. :rolleyes: But, I'd much rather wear just the minimum and be comfortable rather than have people stare at me because I'm overly made up.

If I had lovely porcelain skin, long eyelashes, and full lips, I'm sure I'd absolutely adore Bare Minerals. But, I'm workin' with what I have.... LOL! :D

My daughter (16 years old), and I are considering this for her.

The reasons:

1. My daughter has very sensitive skin. She gets raw from almost anything she puts on face.

It is weird how she is the only one in the house (4 teenage daughters) who has perfect skin and does nothing, but wash it with water. LOL

2.She is very pale & her cheecks are always a bit red too. She used baby powder some times to tone it down, but then she looks like Casper.

3. No makeup works for her because it makes her raw, and we have tried soooo many.

4. Her skin can get a bit on the dry side too.

Do you think she BM could work for her?

Thanks for any help!

Teresa,

Does your daughter use a moisturizing lotion? If she's found one she can tolerate, she should definitely apply that under the BareMinerals because the minerals are very dry as it is.

If she is not used to wearing a lot of make-up and is just trying to tone down the redness, she might try starting with just Mineral Veil. It is very light and sheer but provides a little bit of neutralizing, IMO. I've even tried it over a red spot or two (at first by accident, thinking I was using my BareMinerals Foundation color!) and it tones that down.

I think it's worth a try but if I were in your position, I'd be leery of a large investment, which starting with all new make-up can be! Try just one thing like the Mineral Veil and see if she has any reaction to it before moving on.

TeresaJenkins,

I don't understand why a 16 year old with perfect skin would wear foundation.

My 21 year old neice, who has gorgeous skin wears some blush, lipstick and eyemake-up when she goes out. She probably won't need any foundation til she's close to 30.

I have good skin and didn't need any foundation until I was in my late 20's. Even then, I really didn't need it and just wore it at night for a more sophisticated look.

Bargeo,

I got a brand similiar to BE, the difference is that it doesn't have the mica that BE contains (hence, no shine). However, 2 friends said it made my pores visible (and I have small pores) so I've stopped using it. It does provide excellent coverage however.

Jane

I absolutely positively love Bare Minerals and I have far from perfect skin (read aging, dry to combination, large pores). Like previous posters, I was frustrated with liquid foundations that never went on smoothly and melted off my face by the afternoon. BE does not cover the same way a liquid foundation does. What it does, however, is even out skin tone and gives a more "glowing", translucent appearance. Shine can be minimized with different BE products. The products themselves are versatile and lend themselves to experimentation for the individual user. For example, applying them wet vs. dry, gives a completely different coverage and look. They can be expensive (especially if you discover you LIKE them! :rolleyes: ), but no more so than any other quality makeup. Ebay has numerous sellers who sell sample sizes of the various products, which is a great way to try them without a big investment. The one thing I would recommend investing in, however, is the kabuki brush. In my opinion, it is what "makes or breaks" the success of the foundation. :)

Teresa,

Does your daughter use a moisturizing lotion? If she's found one she can tolerate, she should definitely apply that under the BareMinerals because the minerals are very dry as it is.

If she is not used to wearing a lot of make-up and is just trying to tone down the redness, she might try starting with just Mineral Veil. It is very light and sheer but provides a little bit of neutralizing, IMO. I've even tried it over a red spot or two (at first by accident, thinking I was using my BareMinerals Foundation color!) and it tones that down.

I think it's worth a try but if I were in your position, I'd be leery of a large investment, which starting with all new make-up can be! Try just one thing like the Mineral Veil and see if she has any reaction to it before moving on.

Perfect advice. Thank you a million!

We will do exactly that. Save money in case it doesn't work out, plus it will tone down the red if it does. Perfect solution.:)

BTW, she used Prescriptive's(sp?) moisturizer. It is the only thing that we could find to work for her. It costs a way too much. LOL

TeresaJenkins,

I don't understand why a 16 year old with perfect skin would wear foundation.

My 21 year old neice, who has gorgeous skin wears some blush, lipstick and eyemake-up when she goes out. She probably won't need any foundation til she's close to 30.

I have good skin and didn't need any foundation until I was in my late 20's. Even then, I really didn't need it and just wore it at night for a more sophisticated look.

Jane

Her skin is very very pale, and her checks are quite red. Her lips are very red too, but she wears a pale lipstick to tone those down with no problem. Oh, if she exercises at all the redness is off the chart.

The redness makes her feel bad. It is a girl thing, and a big deal for a 16 year old. I'm glad I'm over those days. I was a mess as a teen. LOL

We took her to the Dr. because of the redness and he found nothing wrong with her. A dermatologist said the same thing, plus they both thought she had red blush or lipstick on. LOL

So the hunt was on for a product she could wear to tone down the red, but had no success without making her raw.

The Mineral Veil that LandLockedInAZ suggestedsounds like a perfect solution. I'll let you guys know how it works out for her.

Thanks again!

Teresa,

I didn't mean to sound judgemental, but you said "perfect skin". Now I understand that she's trying to cover a flaw and it sounds like Bare Essentails might be the perfect solution.

Any idea why her cheeks are so red? Sounds like roseacea (spelling?). For that, IPL (intensive pulse laser) is the best solution.

No one will know if they like Bare Minerals until they try it for themselves. I tried it after watching the commercial on TV. The testimonials swear that Bare Minerals feels like you are wearing nothing. Whereas, liquid foundation feels like you are wearing a faceful of gunk. My number one problem with BE was that I could not get a perfect color match for me, no matter how may shades I mixed. My other complaint, the "glow" that was talked about, I consider an unnatural greyish, shiny, metallic finish. In defense of BE I found it very fast to apply, once I had mastered the technique. And to this day if I am in a hurry, and just running to the store, I will dig it out and swirl, tap and buff. Would I buy it again? No! Do I think it covers like the ad say? no! Is it so pure that you can sleep in it? I doubt it! I love the concept and I think that minerals will become more and more popular as they are refined. But for now I will stick with my liquid Bobbi Brown and Lancome foundations.

I have a slight case of rosacea (sp?) and I can swear that almost anything makes my skin turn red. Usually, it is cleansers and moisturisers that irritate it more than anything, the biggest culprit being sunscreen. The best thing to do is to find the right products that keep the red from showing up in the first place, rather than covering it up.

See a dermatologist, or a good esthetician to help with your problem. Otherwise, you will end up with a drawer full of useless makeup and skin care products. I hid my redness, thinking it was normal, for years before finding the products that help my skin, now, I don't use foundation at all. I just use a bit of coverup on a few spots and a bit of pressed powder. It feels wonderful to have clean skin without all the goo.

The Mineral Veil that LandLockedInAZ suggestedsounds like a perfect solution. I'll let you guys know how it works out for her.

Thanks again!

I hope it helps! You sound like a great mom- concern for your daughter's self-esteem at such a difficult age!

Update

I took my daughter to Ulta today and she loves the stuff. It covered her redness perfectly. We would have bought the stuff, but they were out of her kit. Next week they said they "may" have another.

Should we wait and hope or do you guys think I could should the "FAIR" KIT from another place on line?

To the 1st poster:

BE really is as good as everyone says it is.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

I just ordered a Bare Minerals starter kit from their website. They say it takes 3 - 4 weeks for delivery, why so long??? Anyways, I can't wait to get it. I hope that is as good as most people say!!!

i have never liked wearing allot of make-up. When i used foundation it was minimal. I am 50 and have some blotching in my complexion, some small spider veins...I tried the bare minerals and i love it.

With foundation if women arent careful it will show a "line", the minerals do not. I use a good brush, it takes moments to apply and looks so realistic. Covers the imperfections.without clotting the pores.

I especially love the "cover up" ( cant remember the name )

My 23 year old daughter uses it and loves it. she has beautiful skin and the minerals just enhance her complexion

I hope you enjoy it

Thanks for all your replies. My couputer has been down for a few days. I would like to try BareMinerals but don't want to put a lot of money into it if I don't like it, so I think I will take Jane's advise and try to find someplace I can try it first. I have mature (60ish) skin, larger pores than I like, and the normal aging flaws. (other than that, I'm perfect...lol). It probably won't do much for me, but worth a try. I have used Clinique's stay-true makeup for years, and always go back to it after trying something new. I love this forum. You gals have been a tremendous help to me with dress and makeup, and I'd like to thank you.

I ordered some BE after reading about it on another thread. I had used it for a few days, and was not excited about the results. Then I went out of town to visit family who I hadn't seen in a few months, and they all raved about how great my skin looked. When I looked in the mirror at their place, I did look great (relatively...), and they all ended up ordering some for themselves. Anyway, after getting home, I realized what horrible lighting I have in my bathroom!! And now that I'm looking at myself under a more true light, I do really like the makeup.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recieved my BM starter kit Monday. I love it. Easy to apply, although it does take alittle longer than my old routine, but not much. It looks very natural, not "made up". It takes amazingly little of the product to do the job. I was very skeptical of this product. But now that I have tried it, I am very pleased!!

Does the mineral veil go over or under the bare minerals?

My only complaint about BE was that it made my pores look larger and someone suggested I use the mineral veil for that problem. Today I received it but forgot how I'm supposed to use it. (duh!)

Jane

Does the mineral veil go over or under the bare minerals?

My only complaint about BE was that it made my pores look larger and someone suggested I use the mineral veil for that problem. Today I received it but forgot how I'm supposed to use it. (duh!)

Jane

Jane,

I believe you're referring to my suggestion which is to make the "mineral veil sandwhich". It is touted for use over the foundation to soften the appearance, but applying a layer of mineral veil first, then the foundation, then the mineral veil again creates the appearance of smoother pores. It works for me.

Joyce

Archived