Snorkling: Coki vs St Johns

westmich

Hi,

We will be in St. Thomas in April and can't decide between Coki and St. Johns for Snorkling. While we have been to both, it has been about 8 years.... We do not mind seeing areas that are not "touristy" as we feel that is part of the culture of each area.....

If we go to St. John, where is a good spot? Should we stick with Trunk Bay?

It will be my DH, myself, and two DS, 12/14.

We have been to all 3 locations. We saw the most fish at Coki, but St. John Trunk Bay is so beautiful. We will have to try Sapphire Beach again, because it rained when we were there and we didn't see much due to the rain.

I just got back from a 10 day trip to both St John & St Thomas. St John hands down. No question. Any of the reefs on St John beat Saphire and Coki doesn't even come close.

If you want real and not touristy then definatly take the time to get to St. John. It is well worth it.

I just got back from a 10 day trip to both St John & St Thomas. St John hands down. No question. Any of the reefs on St John beat Saphire and Coki doesn't even come close.

If you want real and not touristy then definatly take the time to get to St. John. It is well worth it.

Totally agreed! St. John is amazing. We had our honeymoon there.

Cinnamon Bay is fantastic! Go there if you can!

• 1 month later...

We were lucky enough to visit all the beaches on the north side of the island while in St John. Our favorite spot to snorkel was Waterlemon Cay - much better than Trunk Bay. It is a little tricky to get to and if you are doing this as a day trip while on a cruise you might not be able to do it. Maho Bay is also just wonderful - there were sea turtles and huge star fish there as well as other typical fish while snorkeling. Hope you have a wonderful time!

I can't speak for St. Johns but I had and excellent day last week at Coki.

Ok, so I guess I was in a fog last July, but just read about the horrible shooting at Coki and subsequently the condition of Coki. (that it is run down, no security, facilities are bad, drug dealers etc). I can't imagine you going there PD if it didn't appear in better condition. I really want to snorkel here, but because we are going to be with other people that won't necessarily be in the water all the time, I'd like it to be a pleasant experience. Any help is appreciated.

Archived