Barbados/Turtles on our own?

ike97756

From what I can find it sounds like Paynes Bay is the place to go. My wife and I took a Cat excursion last time and while we had a great time and did see turtles we have our children (13,11 good swimmers) with us this time and don't want to spend the money for an excursion. Any tips on exactly where to go, how far to swim, snorkel equipment available to rent at Paynes Bay?

We just returned from a cruise which included a day in Barbados. We booked a guide named "Kayak Jack", and he picked us up at the port, took us to Carlisle Bay. We had a leisurely kayak activity as beginners, then kayaked to the turtles area, where we donned snorkel gear (provided) and had a fabulous time seeing turtles. Jack had "bait" (cut up fish pieces) which brought the turtles up close and personal. Short swim back to the beach. We then kayaked some more (short distance) to a shipwreck and snorkeled to see this, along with millions of tropical fish here. He provided a variety of drinks, and a local pastry snack, then drove us back to the port. We were with him about 5 hours total.

He now charges $50 per person, according to his website. (We paid a little less because we booked before he raised prices.) I highly recommend his services. However, if you can get to Carlisle Beach on your own, it is very possible to swim to the turtles with no kayak. Snorkel gear enhances the enjoyment. The catamarans are there in the bay and you will know where the turtles are.

Hope this helps! Sherry

We just returned from a cruise which included a day in Barbados. We booked a guide named "Kayak Jack", and he picked us up at the port, took us to Carlisle Bay. We had a leisurely kayak activity as beginners, then kayaked to the turtles area, where we donned snorkel gear (provided) and had a fabulous time seeing turtles. Jack had "bait" (cut up fish pieces) which brought the turtles up close and personal. Short swim back to the beach. We then kayaked some more (short distance) to a shipwreck and snorkeled to see this, along with millions of tropical fish here. He provided a variety of drinks, and a local pastry snack, then drove us back to the port. We were with him about 5 hours total.

He now charges $50 per person, according to his website. (We paid a little less because we booked before he raised prices.) I highly recommend his services. However, if you can get to Carlisle Beach on your own, it is very possible to swim to the turtles with no kayak. Snorkel gear enhances the enjoyment. The catamarans are there in the bay and you will know where the turtles are.

Hope this helps! Sherry

We also wanted to make some other "custom stops" on Barbados which is why we were thinking of just getting a cab for the day and doing our thing. Would this be a feasible option with "Capt. Jack" ? Get in our turtle/snorkel as well as the other places we wanted to go.

Archived