sea sick

wine night

i need help, i get sick trying to read in a car ,even looking at ride spinning can make me start to feel sick. My doctor has ordered patches to wear behind my ear and change every three days but i am afraid to use them ? but at the same point i am not sure if dramine or bonine will work or the braclets ? please anyone share your wisdom.

Wine night, I too get a little sea sick or sea nervous maybe!

We used the patch for our first cruise years ago, it seemed to work but the only side effect we had was a very dry mouth.

For Alaska I used the wrist bands and Dramine, my only trouble was laying down to go to bed, that is when I felt it the most plus I usually had a few too many glasses of wine before bed so it might have just been the wine!

For Hawaii I am just planning on the same, dramine and wrist bands if needed

I just returned last week from our cruise in Hawaii. I suffer from motion sickness :) Can't ride in the back seat of a car, can't read in the car and etc.

My Dr. told me to NEVER use the patch it has to many side affects. Please go to your DR. and tell them you want something prescibed for an upset stomach, I use Promethazine 25 MG. plus the Bonine. They will make you somewhat sleepy so I halve everything and took them 2 times a day morning and night unless I was going out on the ocean for an excursion then I would take a third dose.

I never felt sick on the ship at all this time but EVERY sea excursion we went on I felt icky and had to sip on Ginger Ale. The seas were rough out on those small boats this time.

Those pateches made my vision blurry and gave me extremely dry mouth!

I too get sick just riding in the car. I have been on many cruises and have tried many different things for sea sickness. The bands didn't work, bonine worked a little (not much though), the patches were awful!!! Try them at home first to test the side effects. I am soooo glad I did that becuase the side effects were worse than being sea sick!! The last 3 cruises I have found exactly what works for me. I take bonine and a ginger root capsule every morning and evening starting 1 week before cruise and throughout cruise. Works like a charm!! No more seasickness!! BTW, I also usually take some phenagren with me just in case I do get sick, it works wonders but does make me sleepy. Good luck!

Why are you afraid of using the patches? :confused:

So many people use it, it can't be that bad.

A friend of ours swears by it. As suggested already: whatever you decide on, try it out at home first.

I was given the patches by two Doctors that sat at our table on my first cruise in 2005.

these were just my reactions to them.

double vision, loss of memory, and very dry mouth. I kid you not I do not remember a thing about this cruise what so ever.

When I got home I seen my Doctor and was told, DO NOT use those patches, the meds. that are on those patches is meds. that was used many years ago on pregnant women in labor to help them forget about their labor. Now grant you some meds. will react in different ways with different people! I would suggest trying them out before you leave to see just how your body reacts to them. It's a big NO for me!

Why are you afraid of using the patches?

So many people use it, it can't be that bad.

A friend of ours swears by it. As suggested already: whatever you decide on, try it out at home first.

It's not that it's "that bad" and it also doesn't matter that "so many" people use it. Many people use many different medications, but what works for one person is not necessarily appropriate for others. The patch is a prescription medication that can have serious side effects. Your friend swears by it and that's great, but wine night has legitimate concerns about its effects and side effects.

i need help, i get sick trying to read in a car ,even looking at ride spinning can make me start to feel sick. My doctor has ordered patches to wear behind my ear and change every three days but i am afraid to use them ? but at the same point i am not sure if dramine or bonine will work or the braclets ? please anyone share your wisdom.

I also get motion sickness when I try to read in a car and I don't/can't do spinning rides. I do not feel sick when I look at spinning rides though and I rarely get carsick. I don't usually have trouble on cruises unless the conditions are very rough. Even so, I usually take a meclazine (generic Bonine) at night starting the night before the cruise. Last cruise, I forgot a couple of nights and certainly didn't need them.

You could take the patch with you and use it if other measures don't work. Remember that Dramamine makes most people very sleepy. Bonine usually much less so, but not always. Some swear by the wrist bands, but we've not tried them; we don't like the idea of wearing something on our wrists all the time.

Some will tell you that you "must" use something before you start to feel queasy or it "won't work." That's actually not true. What is true is that it will take longer to work and you could feel lousy for a while before it fully helps.

I hope you have no problems with motion sickness at all!

beachchick

i was going to try the patch ahead of time to see what happens BUT if i am not on a boat will i have the same reactions from just walking around my house and driving ?

The suggestion to try out out on land first is to see it you experience any side affects. Perhaps you should also try reading in a car while using it to see if it makes a difference. :)

I used the patches last March for my 14 days carribbean cruise. I had no problem with it besides the minimal vision problem but I didn't bother me. At first I thought my blur vision was due to the alcohol drinks :)

Use something if you pron to motion sickness ! Last March, I put a new patch on and accidently lost it when I scuba. I didn't want to put my last one on as I still have another 5-6 days on the cruise....bad decision. I got seasick that night, I threw up in the bedroom bucket. Oh boy, don't ever do that, try to make it to the toilet or sink, because you can't really empty the trash can yourself. The crew came in a hazmat suit just to clean the trash can, and they have to report to the medical about the pilking incident. The nurse called me and I explained to her that it's just a sickness because have forgotten to put a patch on. She said if I still throwing up tomorrow I "must" stay in the room. Well, at least i threw up in my room, someone else threw up infront of the Harizon court, I didn't see it but you could totally smell it for the next two days.

Just make sure you switch location behind your ears, my ears got really dry and itchy from the patch. Don't put on the exact same location twice.

I get motion sickness easily now too. I wrote up some tips on preventing sea sickness on my blog here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/108/

Personally, I take the generic Bonine every morning. I wear Sea Bands at night if I need them. I also carry ginger pills everywhere I go in port and pop one if I start to feel queasy. On the ship itself, I am fine with Bonine & Sea Bands but smaller boats like when we went on the snorkel cruise in Kona, it was hard. You can read about it here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/561/

Something to be aware of if you plan on booking an excursion like that.

Archived