Anyone bag lunches or snacks from the ship's offerings to take on excursions?

The most I will bring off the ship with me is a pre packaged and sealed granola bar type thing, and then only if Im on a tour that doesnt include lunch, or have time to check out a local restaurant. I love island/Caribbean food and look forward to trying something local. And I have enjoyed the local food in Cozumel many times and also Costa Maya twice as well as many other Caribbean ports of call, and have never gotten ill from it. So the last thing I would want to do bring food off the ship. Also it would sit in your backpack or tote bag in that heat all day, so all around not a good idea. JMHO:)

One of my faves is in Ocho Rios. I don't even know the name of the place but it's located right outside the fence at the port. On the right, there is an old fence that runs along the sidewalk...about 9/10 feet tall. Just a dozen or so paces, there is a entryway..you ucan see a umbrella-table. It's a jerk place....a local has his grill fired up and is serving jerk pork and chicken, rice and peas. The BEST jerk chicken I ever ate for under 10.00..and you get half a chicken...and 2.00 icy cold Red Stripe beer.

The view from the terrace is just beautiful. A great place to spend a couple hours...

Once when I was there, business was slow...the "chef" pulled out a box guitar and provided some interesting island music....and played Ska...which many don't anymore.

Our dinner table mates stopped at one of those stands when we were in Ochos Rios. They didn't make it to dinner that night because they were puking their guts out from the jerk. Hah! :p ;)

I love ethic food as much as everyone else. Heck, some of the best rolls I've ever eaten where baked from hand-milled flour in Haiti. I could see the sweat dripping off of the locals into the flour as they pushed the press around and around (mission trip).

We just aren't willing to take that kind of chance right now...not with a three-year-old, and my DH is immunosupressed. :(

Oh, well...enough about bag lunches, etc. There doesn't seem to be any real good tidbits available. Wish I could close the thread.

-pitterpatter

One of my faves is in Ocho Rios. I don't even know the name of the place but it's located right outside the fence at the port. On the right' date=' there is an old fence that runs along the sidewalk...about 9/10 feet tall. Just a dozen or so paces, there is a entryway..you ucan see a umbrella-table. It's a jerk place....a local has his grill fired up and is serving jerk pork and chicken, rice and peas. The BEST jerk chicken I ever ate for under 10.00..and you get half a chicken...and 2.00 icy cold Red Stripe beer.

The view from the terrace is just beautiful. A great place to spend a couple hours...

Once when I was there, business was slow...the "chef" pulled out a box guitar and provided some interesting island music....and played Ska...which many don't anymore.[/quote']

What about if you're cruising the Hawaiian Islands ? We'll be boarding Carnival Spirit in Honolulu and stopping at several other Hawaiian Islands, therefore, all in the United States. Would the same logic and rules apply ? I know on the POA, they actually set up an area for you to make sandwiches, etc to take off the ship for shore excursions.

Thats one of the reasons I do travel...to sample local fare! Ive already got my food places lined up for my cruise in Sept! :D

Totally agree as well, DEBnGAB. :)

I'm hoping you'll share here what 'special finds' you've located for your upcoming September sailing. Perhaps some things on your list others of us can 'borrow'. Thanks in advance. :)

. . . As an interesting side note, when we sailed in May from Baltimore our first port was Port Canaveral - going from one U.S. port to another. There were still HUGE signs and amnesty bins for fruits and we were asked several times by agriculture agents in the port building if we had fruits or vegetables. It didn't matter to them if we'd come from a U.S. port - we were on a foreign flagged ship that had been in international waters so they still didn't allow anything off.

Also possibly of interest . . . that produce had been in international waters (and visited other countries) during seven days on that ship. You might have noticed that morning when arriving in Port Canaveral that bananas, if they were still present, on the breakfast buffet were looking kinda brown, soft, and icky. It's because Carnival Pride loads those (as well as a lot of the food/beverage items) in Florida instead of Maryland. That's why the next morning for your Nassau day, all the onboard produce looked so nice and fresh. :)

Tell you for a fact we saw a lady stopped last week in the little canvas covered hut going into port and the guy checked her bag. He was shaking his head and did not look fiendlt when she handed over an apple and a bannana.

What about if you're cruising the Hawaiian Islands ? We'll be boarding Carnival Spirit in Honolulu and stopping at several other Hawaiian Islands, therefore, all in the United States. Would the same logic and rules apply ? I know on the POA, they actually set up an area for you to make sandwiches, etc to take off the ship for shore excursions.

I can't speak for within Hawaii on a cruise, but there are restrictions on what can go between Hawaii and mainland U.S. We had to fill out a form on the plane that declared if we had certain items or not (we didn't) and when departing Hawaii you have to clear an agriculture inspection of your luggage prior to going through regular security at the airport. There a pretty big list of plants, fruits, and veggies that you can't bring home from Hawaii - although pineapple isn't one of them. :D

I always bring zip lock bags for the off the ship snack. Nothing like a pastrami on rye on the shores of a beach that has no clue of what you're eating. I've actually had a local ask me "what the heck are you eating, it smells so good". As for infesting the islands with bugs and critters, if you were a bug and could survive a pastrami sangwich, more power to the bug. The truth is , there's never any evidence to support the crime, except for an empty zip lock.

So....I guess cruiselines are exempt when they bring a ton of their food from the ship to their private islands? Carnival, Disney and RCCL do it, but we can't.

Niiiiice...

what commerce, agriculture. or livestock are on those islands?

what commerce, agriculture. or livestock are on those islands?

The private beach area, Labadee, visited by RCCL is part of the island of Hispaniola (the second largest in the Caribbean) which contains the sovereign states of Haiti & the Dominican Republic. There is commerce, agriculture, and livestock throughout the island.

Half Moon Cay (aka Little San Salvador Island) is only partially developed, with the majority left untouched for wildlife preservation. Within the developed portion used by regular cruise passengers, there is a well-maintained horse stable.

825609201_tbvzc-M.jpg

Archived