Diving in Costa Maya or Cozumel - Worth it? Who with?

nicoleslaw

Hi everyone,

Okay, I'm a newbie here. I'm an experienced traveller, but am going on my first cruise ever next week (Feb 6-11). I'll be on the Barenaked Ladies hosted Ships & Dip cruise (it's a NCL boat, but run by Sixthman).

Anyway, the cruise goes to Costa Maya and Cozumel for the two port days. I'm debating whether or not to dive (and which port, or both), and if I do, who to do it with.

I haven't done any diving in over a year (it's been about 18 months) so if I go with the ship I'm looking at needing to go get a "refresher" at home sometime this week (like $120 I think. ugh). And it seems pretty expensive to do the excursions through the ship. To go through the ship it looks like I'm going to end up spending $350+ for 4 tanks. Yikes.

Ideally if I dive I'd like to go with a company that can do my refresher as part of my first dive so I'm not paying an insane amt of money to do that.

So I'm trying to decide: a. If it's worth diving in either/both spots, and b. if I dive, who to dive with. (I will not be bringing my own equipment if that makes a difference in recommendations).

For background, I have my advanced PADI and have dove Fiji, the Poor Knight Islands (New Zealand), Utila (Honduras) and Dahab (Egypt).

Any insight into how the diving is and operator recommendations is important. Price (and flexiblity to work with cruise passengers, as well as equpiment), as well as a company that would incorporate my "refresher" into the first dive is a consideration. I'd also prefer a small group if possible.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!! :)

- Nicole

For Costa Maya I usually use Nomad Divers, very professional open that caters to cruise divers. For Cozumel I usually use Scuba with Alison, but if she is booked, you can look into Aldora, Blue Angel, & Blue XT.

In all reality you would need to contact each open that you might be interested in diving with and see if they can accommodate you with your refresher needs, arrival times, and get you back on time.

Given a choice, Cozumel hands down. Costa Maya pales by comparison. Are you sure you need a "refresher" course after 18 months. Not sure how many dives you have total, but before you leave review some of the original class material if you're hazy on it, get a tank and gear up at a local pool and get comfortable with your setup and you should be good to go.

2 tank dives in coz will cost you anywhere from ~$60 to $100. Don't go with the ships excursion there unless you have a very short port time and missing the ship is an issue.

Blue Magic, Aldora, Blue Xtsea, Deep Blue and many others would make your day.

Have a great time

Rich

Thanks Rich!

I actually don't feel like I need a refresher at all. If I went through the ship it was going to be required, but none of the local shops were going to make me do it (all said that with an advanced 2 years is fine, and that they can just quickly go over anything if I feel hazy).

I'm all booked at Nomad in Costa Maya and Blue Magic in Cozumel. Yayy!

Thanks again for your help :). If anybody has any dive site recommendations I'd love to hear them. Not sure if either will take requests, but it can't hurt to ask!

Hi everyone,

Okay, I'm a newbie here. I'm an experienced traveller, but am going on my first cruise ever next week (Feb 6-11). I'll be on the Barenaked Ladies hosted Ships & Dip cruise (it's a NCL boat, but run by Sixthman).

Anyway, the cruise goes to Costa Maya and Cozumel for the two port days. I'm debating whether or not to dive (and which port, or both), and if I do, who to do it with.

I haven't done any diving in over a year (it's been about 18 months) so if I go with the ship I'm looking at needing to go get a "refresher" at home sometime this week (like $120 I think. ugh). And it seems pretty expensive to do the excursions through the ship. To go through the ship it looks like I'm going to end up spending $350+ for 4 tanks. Yikes.

Ideally if I dive I'd like to go with a company that can do my refresher as part of my first dive so I'm not paying an insane amt of money to do that.

So I'm trying to decide: a. If it's worth diving in either/both spots, and b. if I dive, who to dive with. (I will not be bringing my own equipment if that makes a difference in recommendations).

For background, I have my advanced PADI and have dove Fiji, the Poor Knight Islands (New Zealand), Utila (Honduras) and Dahab (Egypt).

Any insight into how the diving is and operator recommendations is important. Price (and flexiblity to work with cruise passengers, as well as equpiment), as well as a company that would incorporate my "refresher" into the first dive is a consideration. I'd also prefer a small group if possible.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!!! :)

- Nicole

In Cozumel there is a great small company called Dive with Cristina. Luis and Cristina are both dive masters and they are great. The dive boat Nena is clean and well maintained. They only take small groups. I have done over 100 dives all over the world and Luis is hands down the best dive master I have ever has the pleasure to dive with - anywhere. He has some special PADI dive master certification that only a handful of people in the world have (can't remember what it is called). Their prices are great, especially considering that they give you drinks and lunch. I have dove with them twice and had an really great experience both times.

Diving is Costa Maya is not that great. The reef is in bad shape. I have used two dive shops there and cannot recommend either (sorry that I don't remember the name of either).

Nicole,

Have a great time. All the "Boutique" operators in Cozumel will give the customers input on dive site choices every day. But given you are a one day visitor the choice will be driven more by the multi day vacation stay divers you most likely will be diving with. Either way almost all the potential dive sites are very comparable and also very good. You really can't go wrong.

When you go out with Blue Magic please say hello to our friends there, Joyce the owner and Sandro & Gabriel two of the dive masters you hopefully will dive with. Tell them Rich & Pam from San Diego say hey, and we hope to get down there in May or June for some diving.

Enjoy you cruise and the dives.

Rich

It's been a while so I can't remember the name of the outfitter, but I did a private dive (just me and the dive master) in Costa Maya for only a hundred bucks that I put up there with the best dives I have ever been on in my life. Much less crowded than Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note as we just got back from Costa Maya last week.

We contacted Selma at Nomad divers and had a Great dive. She takes only 6 divers max. My wife and I were her only customers on our day at Costa Maya. She knows the reefs and the best dive spots. We seen plenty of fish, turtles, 6 lobsters. A great day. Nothing like having your own personal tour guide.

We just got back from Costa Maya and dove with Selma at Nomad divers. She takes only 6 divers max. My wife and I were her only customers on our day at Costa Maya. She knows the reefs and the best dive spots. We seen plenty of fish, turtles, 6 lobsters. A great day. Nothing like having your own personal tour guide.

Archived