Platinum Insurance - Has Anyone Else Had Problems Collecting?

kjn

So let me see if I understand this.

If two passengers pay $642 each, and get the $99 insurance, together they pay $1,482 in total. Then if both passengers cancel they would each only get back $354 for a total of $708. That's less than half.

If only one cancels, then the one who cancels gets back $354 and the one who doesn't cancel gets charged another $296. When it's all done, the total amount of the $1,482 they get back is $58. And if the single supplement is more than 50% of the dual-occupancy fare, then they could actually end up paying pay more than the original $1,482 if only one cancels.

Something doesn't seem right with this. How can they advertise this is cancellation protection?

Here is an update for those of you that have contributed to or have followed this thread.

About three weeks ago, our canceling passenger sent a certified letter to HAL requesting the reimbursable amounts. Although HAL never gave a written response to her letter, she did receive a charge card credit of $354, which was about 55% of the $642 in fare she paid. I'm not sure what HAL used to calculate the 90 percent of reimbursable amounts, but needless to say, our canceling passenger was not thrilled with her 55% reimbursement, and can now be classified as someone who had 6 cruises with HAL and will never have a 7th.

Interestingly, when you add the $288 HAL did not reimburse, plus the $99 insurance payment, HAL ended up keeping $387 of the total amount our canceling passenger paid. As the single supplement for this cabin was only $296, HAL has to this point already netted more from this booking than it received for a similar cabin booked at a single-occupancy rate. It now gets more interesting......

I thought this might be the end of the issue, but HAL decided it will pursue additional collection. Yesterday afternoon, a HAL representative called our travel agent demanding that he collect the single supplement from the traveling passenger. Our TA refused to authorize the additional billing. We aren't sure if the amount HAL seeks is the $296 supplement in effect at the time of booking, or the $592 supplement in effect at the time of cancellation. I guess we will find out when HAL sends a letter to our traveling passenger.

I have no idea how this will resolve, but I'll will keep you apprised of what happens as things develop.

The canceling passenger needs to contact HAL and find out how they came up with the calculation as it sounds like a credit error. There is an accounts department they can contact. The taxes and port fees should have been calculated separately, and than 90% of the fare paid (plus the taxes and port fees) reimbursed. The $99.00 protection plan is not refundable.

Does the $642.00 include the port fees and taxes?

I would think the supplement would be the percentage amount due on the day of cancellation, maybe 150%?

• 7 months later...

Archived