Captain's Party, Past Guest Party

millerboy88

Have an upcoming 7 day cruise. I haven't cruised in 2 years now, so some things may have changed. Does Carnival still have the Past Guest Party and the Captain's Party? Used to be a "Sail Away" party or something too I think? They used to serve free drinks and appetizers. I was just wondering if they still did this.:D

They still have the parties but the drinks are discounted, I believe, not free. There are free drinks at the last party of the week, maybe called the 'farewell' party or something like that. It was not advertised and the only mention of the party was a small line in the Fun Times :)

There is a Sailaway party but last less than 30 minutes and only involves some line dancing on the Lido deck.

Captain's Reception (Elegant Night) is where the ship's staff gathers on the Promenade or in the Atrium to greet people. $1 off drinks. The Captain's party of one hour of free drinks is history.

Past Guest Party is still going on for 5-night or longer cruises. One hour of free drinks.

Farewell Party (bean counters greatest moment) is on the last seaday from 5pm-6pm. It is poorly attended as folks are packing or getting ready for dinner. One hour of free drinks. Briefly mentioned in the Funtimes.

Dave

On the Legend last week, we had a Captain's party with a dollar off drinks, it was on one of our Cruise Elegant nights. Then there was a return guest party with free drinks and food on Wednesday. It lasted 45 minutes. It was not one of our Cruise Elegant nights. But the invitation asked people to wear Cruise Casual attire. On the second Cruise Elegant night - Friday night of our cruise, there was no party, but most people did dress up beautifully.

On the Legend last week, we had a Captain's party with a dollar off drinks, it was on one of our Cruise Elegant nights. Then there was a return guest party with free drinks and food on Wednesday. It lasted 45 minutes. It was not one of our Cruise Elegant nights. But the invitation asked people to wear Cruise Casual attire. On the second Cruise Elegant night - Friday night of our cruise, there was no party, but most people did dress up beautifully.

On a 5 night Elation cruise, when would the past guest party normally be? Should past guest get a personal invitation?

There is a Sailaway party but last less than 30 minutes and only involves some line dancing on the Lido deck.

Captain's Reception (Elegant Night) is where the ship's staff gathers on the Promenade or in the Atrium to greet people. $1 off drinks. The Captain's party of one hour of free drinks is history.

Past Guest Party is still going on for 5-night or longer cruises. One hour of free drinks.

Farewell Party (bean counters greatest moment) is on the last seaday from 5pm-6pm. It is poorly attended as folks are packing or getting ready for dinner. One hour of free drinks. Briefly mentioned in the Funtimes.

Dave

There is definitely a Farewell party? Someone who posted here recently said there wasn't one on the Spirit & they were looking for it. I read the Funtimes they posted & couldn't find it either. If it's not advertised, how would I find it?

There is definitely a Farewell party? Someone who posted here recently said there wasn't one on the Spirit & they were looking for it. I read the Funtimes they posted & couldn't find it either. If it's not advertised, how would I find it?

I think it is 'hidden' in the fun times - not on the 'full pages' as for other events but possibly in the 'food/dining' area of the fun times (e.g. where they post the restaurant/buffet times, theme of the day etc). I think many people don't attend cuz they are unaware of it (altho I believe in some cases the cruise director does mention it at the Welcome Aboard show many people forget all about it by the last day!)

I think it is 'hidden' in the fun times - not on the 'full pages' as for other events but possibly in the 'food/dining' area of the fun times (e.g. where they post the restaurant/buffet times, theme of the day etc). I think many people don't attend cuz they are unaware of it (altho I believe in some cases the cruise director does mention it at the Welcome Aboard show many people forget all about it by the last day!)

Thank you so much! I'll look for it there.

On our last cruise it was a one line mention days before it was scheduled, but it was a great party. They had live music and lots of drinks and everyone had fun!

It was at 5 PM on the last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Not clearly indicated on the Destiny - just got back from a back to back cruise - there was a slight mention of it on 1st day - but then if you don't remember too bad for you.

On both cruises it was listed in the fun times on the 'tear off' section only - all it said was Fun Farewell along with the location. No mention of free drinks or entertainment.

The fun times also had a list of top 10 things to do that day - and you guessed it the Fun Farewell party was not listed at all. And to top it off the CD, Brent, would be on the PA system in the late afternoon mentioning the upcoming activities/events all over the ship and somehow would again 'forget' to mention the free drinks and the fun farewell party?

So no wonder both times it was very poorly attended with maybe 30 -40 people in attendance. The poor waiters were standing around with trays of drinks waiting for people to show up - and as soon as my rum punch was finished another appeared....

I think Carnival is not advertising these at all in hopes of saving $$ with less people being aware of this and showing up to enjoy the free drinks! :(

Dave

On the Fascination last week, maybe only 150 peeps were there---we had PLENTY of drinks lol.

On the miracle last week the CD mentioned it early in the cruise and there was one line about it in the fun times.

Poorly attended but lots of drinks. We know about it and told some friends but amazing how few people.

Capt's party is a shell of itself with very people there.

Captains Party is a joke. On our recent B2B2B on the Destiny, it basically revolved around the captain, a few officers, some of the entertainment staff, and the cruise director standing around in a small group talking amongst themselves. We decided not to introduce ourselves as they seemed like they weren't really interested in meeting guests. Those thas did approach had a hard time getting noticed.

I'm not really sure, but I think they move from place to place. All I know is that in three cruises, we never saw them introduced or even spoke with any of them--including the cruise director (who was the absolute worst, IMHO). I honestly could not point out the captain if I were asked. Seems to me that Elegant night has become more about selling photographs than anything else.

Farewell party was fun, but certainly not well attended--maybe 100 people? We never ran out of drinks.

Not to give Carnival any ideas, but I can see both of these "parties" being removed in the future. Sadly, I think that most Carnival cruisers won't even notice when these events disappear.

The fun times also had a list of top 10 things to do that day - and you guessed it the Fun Farewell party was not listed at all. And to top it off the CD, Brent, would be on the PA system in the late afternoon mentioning the upcoming activities/events all over the ship and somehow would again 'forget' to mention the free drinks and the fun farewell party?

So no wonder both times it was very poorly attended with maybe 30 -40 people in attendance.

Was the exact same way during each of my three sailing onboard Carnival Destiny in 2010.

Froufie: if you still have your FunTimes, can you check to see if the Kids Talent Show was also still be scheduled at the same time as the Fun Farewell event?? I found that to be quite interesting, since it immediately negated those parents being able to attend the FF. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you are all upset that the Farewell party is not well attended. We've been to many, the music, the entertainment staff(with the CD and one time the captain) are there. All I know is it's easier to get drinks. I don't need a thousand people to be there to have a party. IMHO Lynda

The parties are what you make of them. On the Freedom in Jan we had a blast at both Met the Captain and his crew and had a great conversation so much so that later in the week as he strolled the decks, he spoke to us often. Farewell party was well attended but then our CD made sure we all knew about it. It was standing room only with live band, dancing and the drinks were always present.

It is a free party so no matter what you think, it is a good party. Free is good.

At the capt's party I look for an officer standing around by himself or herself and ask if they are as bored by this as we are.

Generally they say yes and have had some interesting conversations with officers with whom we would generally have no contact.

I don't know why you are all upset that the Farewell party is not well attended. We've been to many, the music, the entertainment staff(with the CD and one time the captain) are there.

Not on the Destiny. The only staff at the party, besides the drink servers, were the band and a singer. No other crew were there. I think our CD spent most of his time hanging out in his cabin. We only saw him when he absolutely had to be on stage.

I'm not at all upset that the farewell party is not well attended. We had a wonderful time! As you said, it's more free drinks for me. However, I expect this will also be the reason it will be ended in the future.

Archived