Carnival Paradise Questions

nevadabadgirl

Through many a planned and cancelled cruise, we have finally decided to take a 4 day "test" cruise. Carnival Paradise, LA to Catalina Island to Ensenada. This will be our first, but if we like it, I am ready to book a 15 day to Hawaii in December (please please let us like it!)

We (my 21 year old son and I) are getting an inside cabin (I know, very small, but it's only 4 days...If we do the longer one, I'll spring for the balcony or maybe a suite), and won't be spending anything on shore excursions (been there done that on both ports).

Here are the questions I have:

1. Does the Paradise have a specialty restaurant? We are hoping to do the Chef's Table one night, but if we can't, I would like to have one "fancy" meal besides elegant night.

2. I know we can take our 2 bottles of champagne on, and a 12 pack each of non alcoholic drinks, and buy at Bon Voyage. If for some amazing reason, if we would like to buy another bottle of wine or booze, is it possible? Or more sodas in port and carry on for our room?

3. Has anyone stayed on the Queen Mary before hand? I will be driving in from Vegas, and will probably do it the day before. I think that my son would enjoy the history of this ship, but would like to make sure there is some "bang for the buck". Otherwise I'll go with one of the "Park and Cruise" specials.

Any other miscellaneous information is always greatly appreciated! :)

Hi there...

1) Yes, they have the Chefs Table held in the Library off of the Atrium.

2) Yes, there are wine packages on board and bottles for purchase in the bars/dining rooms. No problem stocking up and carrying on soda at the ports.

3)Yep, stayed there at the QM and it was fun..neat! Felt historics..rooms with wood paneling, etc...nice to stroll around.

IS and OV cabins are the same size. Only difference will be a solid wall behind the drapes instead of a window. Not many cabins have balconies on the Paradise and those are all suites.

There is no speciality restaurant on the Paradise. You can buy wine and soda in either port. Soda they will let on. It's hit or miss whether they will collect your wine and hold it for you 'til the end of the cruise. Yes, wine in bottles are available for purchase. If you do not finish it they will hold it for you. Can't take it back to your room.

We've stayed at the Queen Mary, not before a cruise though. The cabins are small but beautiful. Check out the dip in the ceiling from one end of the hallway to the other. Then check the same thing in the Paradise. It's very different.

You have your answers...but we were just on the Paradise in early December.

We loved staying at the Queen Mary the night before, and spent all day and evening touring the ship, and did the museum the next morning while waiting to board the Paradise. Mon - Fri from 9:30 - 11:00 you can do early checkin at the Queen Mary then just walk over to the Paradise and board.

We didn't do the Chef's Table but we found the MDR food to be very, very good. In fact, there was nothing that we didn't care for. The buffet, Pizza, and Deli were good, too!

There are plenty of places in Port to buy what you need, also.

Ah geez and I forgot the big one. We will both be celebrating our birthdays on this cruise...do they do anything "special" for that? I don't mind a small fee. I just want to make it memorable for my son :D

They give you a piece of cake with a candle and sing Happy Birthday. Just like in the restaurants.

They did this last year for my sister even though it was 2 months before her birthday. It was the diet banana cake. We don't know why they did this but we went along with it.:rolleyes:

If you want, you can order a cake (6" or 9" round) thru Formalities (I think that is where you can when on the ship), or order it online on Carnival's website under 'Gifts & Services'.

Thank you for some answers. We will be doing her in oct 2011 and will be staying at the queen mary two day before sailing. How do make reservations for the chefs table? This will be our 3rd cruise with carnival. We have always gone to the west coast. But flying is getting so costly and I dont agree with the way they are doing things for getting on an airplane. At least taking the train I get dropped off right in front of the queen mary and same place when we return home. If someone knows the cost of the chefs table and if you tip I would appreciate it very much. Thank You

You already have your answers, but I'll chime in.

I just got of the Paradise Friday morning doing the same 4 day sailing. Second time for me on this same itinerary/ship. You will enjoy it. Don't sweat the interior room, you're never in there anyways. People make too much of cabin type.

No specialty restaurant, but they do have the Chef's Table available. They also have premium choices on the menu in the MDR for a feee.

For your birthday(s), either order a cake before hand on the CCL website or go to formalities on board and order it there. Your waitstaff will bring it to your table in the MDR and sing for you. Or, you can just tell your head waiter in the MDR it's your birthday and they will come and sing and bring whatever desert is on the menu that night with a candle it in. Lots of fun.

As for on the ship, here are some of my personal suggestions. Visit the comedy club. The Paradise has 2 comics on it, one of which is Lance Montalto. This guy is funny! Has clean and rated R shows...but even his rated R stuff isn't too bad. Not sure I have ever seen a funnier comic anywhere! If you like Beatles music, he also does an acoustic 12 string Beatles set on the last sea day in the main atrium. Even if you don't like Bealtes stuff, it's still worth checking out. I really enjoyed it.

The main shows are ok. The first one is a bit slow starting, rather outdated country/western, but the last 20 minutes are pretty good and worth sitting through the rest of it for. The second big show is also pretty good. Worth seeing.

Jeff Brrronson (yes, 3 r's) is a decent cruise director. Not the best I have had, but he's certainly far from the worst. His assistant CD, who I can't remember her real name, goes by the name 6-3, because she is, well..6'3". lol. She is rather funny and will make a great CD someday.

As stated, you can take your wine/soda on with you. You can buy a bottle of wine on the ship, but you can only drink it in the dining room, you can't take it back to your cabin. You can not buy a bottle of booze on the ship and drink it. (Well, I guess you could at the bar, but it would be awfully expensive). If you buy booze in the gift shop, you will not get it until the end of the cruise.

The food on the ship is excellent. The MDR has good choices for everyone. The other food options including the Pizza bar, Mongolian BBQ, deli, burgers/hot dogs...all great choices. The guy working the pizza bar on the Paradise is one of the best I have come across so far. He would make you anything you wanted. Try all of it....with the Mongolian BBQ, it always has a big line, but it really does go fast. they had 4 cooks working on it everyday.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. It's all still fresh in my mind.

Thank you for some answers. We will be doing her in oct 2011 and will be staying at the queen mary two day before sailing. How do make reservations for the chefs table? This will be our 3rd cruise with carnival. We have always gone to the west coast. But flying is getting so costly and I dont agree with the way they are doing things for getting on an airplane. At least taking the train I get dropped off right in front of the queen mary and same place when we return home. If someone knows the cost of the chefs table and if you tip I would appreciate it very much. Thank You

Ive never taken the train from Sac to Long Beach..how long is the ride?

You can make chef table reservations through John Healds blog or when you get on board right away. There is some contention right now as to whether or not the $75/pp includes tip or not. Right now its leaning towards yes, just like the steakhouse fee, it does include tip with the OPTION to leave more $$ if you want.

You already have your answers, but I'll chime in.

I just got of the Paradise Friday morning doing the same 4 day sailing. Second time for me on this same itinerary/ship. You will enjoy it. Don't sweat the interior room, you're never in there anyways. People make too much of cabin type.

No specialty restaurant, but they do have the Chef's Table available. They also have premium choices on the menu in the MDR for a feee.

For your birthday(s), either order a cake before hand on the CCL website or go to formalities on board and order it there. Your waitstaff will bring it to your table in the MDR and sing for you. Or, you can just tell your head waiter in the MDR it's your birthday and they will come and sing and bring whatever desert is on the menu that night with a candle it in. Lots of fun.

As for on the ship, here are some of my personal suggestions. Visit the comedy club. The Paradise has 2 comics on it, one of which is Lance Montalto. This guy is funny! Has clean and rated R shows...but even his rated R stuff isn't too bad. Not sure I have ever seen a funnier comic anywhere! If you like Beatles music, he also does an acoustic 12 string Beatles set on the last sea day in the main atrium. Even if you don't like Bealtes stuff, it's still worth checking out. I really enjoyed it.

The main shows are ok. The first one is a bit slow starting, rather outdated country/western, but the last 20 minutes are pretty good and worth sitting through the rest of it for. The second big show is also pretty good. Worth seeing.

Jeff Brrronson (yes, 3 r's) is a decent cruise director. Not the best I have had, but he's certainly far from the worst. His assistant CD, who I can't remember her real name, goes by the name 6-3, because she is, well..6'3". lol. She is rather funny and will make a great CD someday.

As stated, you can take your wine/soda on with you. You can buy a bottle of wine on the ship, but you can only drink it in the dining room, you can't take it back to your cabin. You can not buy a bottle of booze on the ship and drink it. (Well, I guess you could at the bar, but it would be awfully expensive). If you buy booze in the gift shop, you will not get it until the end of the cruise.

The food on the ship is excellent. The MDR has good choices for everyone. The other food options including the Pizza bar, Mongolian BBQ, deli, burgers/hot dogs...all great choices. The guy working the pizza bar on the Paradise is one of the best I have come across so far. He would make you anything you wanted. Try all of it....with the Mongolian BBQ, it always has a big line, but it really does go fast. they had 4 cooks working on it everyday.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me. It's all still fresh in my mind.

Tony T., thank you so much for all the information. I am not really worried about the inside cabin, I'd rather spend that money on something else. If I do decide to go on a longer cruise, then maybe the splurge would be worth it. Not for a 4 day though. At least that is my thought right now :D Is formal night the second night out? I have heard that and wondered if it still holds true? We are skipping the gown/tuxedo bit, but my son will wear a suit and I will wear my last New Years outfit (think sequins, it's Vegas you know :D). Sequined jacket and black slacks. Will this be too underdressed or overdressed?

Think I might save the $ and just get them to sing with the dessert of the night. And I'll be nice and only make them do it once instead of twice lol.

Is the water in the pool too cold for swimming this time of year? I see you live in the desert too and I can ask you. People from the wintery parts of the world think I am crazy when I say 75 is too cold :D

We are going on the April 11 sailing. That is right smack between our birthdays.

Sounds like a great trip and I really can't wait now!

If you don't mind not having a candle or singing waiters get a dessert at the Coffee Bar. They are MUCH better, IMHO.

Cruise Elegant Night will be your Catalina day, the second night. You will be one of the more dressed up couples onboard.:) This cruise is extremely casual. Seems that most men will wear a dress shirt and jacket OR a dress shirt and tie. DH fits right in with a nice Hawaiian shirt and a pair of new Dockers. He's on the 'lower' end of the scale. That being said there are usually a couple of tuxes and long gowns being worn.

The filtered sea water is not heated. For those of us in the hot states it will be cold.:p If the pool is open there will be people in it.

The two comedians are usually Lance and Seth Buchwald. They seem to do ALL the West Coast cruises! The shows are good the first and second time. By now our whole group can 'sing along' with both of them.:p Seth's Galilelo bit in the family show is always entertaining. Lance's R rated show is truly R rated with adult topics and not too many 'bad words'. If Lance's son is aboard he will do a bit or two. Seth's R rated show seems to be a PG rated show with lots of 'bad' words thrown in. Every once in a while Jerome does the comedy, we really enjoy his show because he changes it up a bit every time.

Great ship, and my first too!

Sure you don't want any excusions? I really liked Catalina, just walking along the beach and through the town of Avalon - Felt rather quaint with all the bikes and golf carts.

It's kind of chilly [or was when I went] so there'll be lots of deck chairs available!

The two comedians are usually Lance and Seth Buchwald.

TTz - Please tell me the other comedian was not Seth Buchwald! Lance OK, but not Seth!!:eek:

Ive never taken the train from Sac to Long Beach..how long is the ride?

You can make chef table reservations through John Healds blog or when you get on board right away. There is some contention right now as to whether or not the $75/pp includes tip or not. Right now its leaning towards yes, just like the steakhouse fee, it does include tip with the OPTION to leave more $$ if you want.

I believe my train leaves at 6 6:30 am and hop on the bus in bakersfield and arrive in longbeach at 4 pm. I love it I can sit on my computer or read or sleep.

Great ship, and my first too!

Sure you don't want any excusions? I really liked Catalina, just walking along the beach and through the town of Avalon - Felt rather quaint with all the bikes and golf carts.

It's kind of chilly [or was when I went] so there'll be lots of deck chairs available!

We will be going ashore, I am just not going to book any excursions...though I did see a couple that looked like they might be fun. I am one of those lucky people who had a friend who lived on Catalina back in the day and got to spend some time out there...But now my son is talking glass bottom boats and beach getaways, so we will see.

He's never been to Ensenada, we usually go further south (Cabo or PV) in our land vacations. I did Ensenada to death in my younger years :D

I am truly hoping we love cruising, the Hawaii trip is the one I really want to do. With 8 sea days I have to make sure we LOVE the ship's activities :D

Cruise elegant night will be on Tuesday night, Catalina port day. I think you will be just fine in your stated attire...I was actually surprised that so many people were as dressed up on a 4dayer. I wore shirt and tie, left the tux @ home. She wore a nice cocktail dress. Even had a bunch of military in their dress blues. Love that!

I agree on the save money and just have them sing to you with that nights dessert. Was my GF bday on the cruise and thats what we did. The cakes are good, but why spend the extra $?

You will not be able to get in the pool. lol. I wanted to do the slide, but put my hand in the water and my fingers instantly broke off. lol. hot tubs...have at it, we were in the hot tubs on serenity more than once. Nice stuff.

Just remember to make it want you want it to be. Cruising takes a different attitude. You are on a ship, so things can happen. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a good time!

Someone asked about the 2nd comic...it wasn't Seth on our sailing, it was Tom McGillen. But like I said...you must see Lance at least once.

I have all the Fun Times, if you want I'll scan them and email them too you. Just let me know.

Cruise elegant night will be on Tuesday night, Catalina port day. I think you will be just fine in your stated attire...I was actually surprised that so many people were as dressed up on a 4dayer. I wore shirt and tie, left the tux @ home. She wore a nice cocktail dress. Even had a bunch of military in their dress blues. Love that!

I agree on the save money and just have them sing to you with that nights dessert. Was my GF bday on the cruise and thats what we did. The cakes are good, but why spend the extra $?

You will not be able to get in the pool. lol. I wanted to do the slide, but put my hand in the water and my fingers instantly broke off. lol. hot tubs...have at it, we were in the hot tubs on serenity more than once. Nice stuff.

Just remember to make it want you want it to be. Cruising takes a different attitude. You are on a ship, so things can happen. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a good time!

Someone asked about the 2nd comic...it wasn't Seth on our sailing, it was Tom McGillen. But like I said...you must see Lance at least once.

I have all the Fun Times, if you want I'll scan them and email them too you. Just let me know.

I'd love the Fun Times and would genuinely appreciate it! You can email them to losingitinvegas (at) yahoo. com Thank you so much!

Figured the water would be too cold for us desert rats :D Hot tubs are more my cup of tea anyway....pool makes me think I should do something healthy like...swim laps lol

• 1 month later...

Would you PLEASE email me a copy of the Fun Times. alcrbl@aol.com THANKS!!!

Just off your itinerary this Friday. To answer your question about the pools... brrrrr! We were there in unusually cold weather though, so here's hoping yours is warmer. :)

Don't know if your looking for excursion information but we did them in both Catalina and Ensenada (as well as a weekend of goofy tourist stuff before we sailed...lol). Let me know if you want any info.

Keep in mind that the experience of a 4-day cruise is going to differ significantly from a Hawaiian cruise. The 4-day is going to be a busy party cruise while the longer Hawaii trip will be a newer ship with a more relaxed, less party vibe.

Archived