Fun in St. John and Halifax with a little one?

We are taking our daughter on a cruise in June - she will be 10 months old. We'll have an umbrella stroller and at least the Ergo (baby carrier) with us, possibly a mei tai as well. This is not our first cruise, but will be our first as parents and it will be our first family vacation. DH and I did this itinerary for our honeymoon in 2005 but did fairly active/adult excursions (kayaking in St. John, pub crawl in Halifax). DH had been to Halifax twice prior to that with his family.

In 2005 in Halifax we went to the Maritime Museum prior to our pub crawl (things are a little hazy :D ). In St. John, after kayaking we stopped at a bar and got a drink before getting back on the ship.

I know in Halifax there is plenty that we can do with the baby right there on the waterfront. St. John seemed a bit more sparse...have things changed since 2005? We weren't planning to bring a car seat for the baby because we're driving to/from the port, so anything involving a taxi is out of the question unless there's a compelling baby-friendly attraction in either port that would require a taxi ride (and thus require bringing her car seat on the cruise - it takes up space!).

Suggestions are welcome - even if it's just "Get off the ship and walk around for an hour."

As a life-long resident of Halifax, I can tell you that there is PLENTY to do within walking distance of the ship.

Try a Harbour-Hopper Tour - the are awesome.

http://www.mtcw.ca/harbourhopper/

Also, honestly just walking around downtown is fun. Check out Argyle Street for some great restaurants, walk up to Spring Garden Road for some shopping, Citadel Hill is close by and of course, there is always lots going on just right on the Waterfront in the summer. There is a Theodore Tugboat tour too - not super if 10 months is too young for that or not.

Anyways - have a great time and feel free to contact me with any questions!

My kids were older (youngest was 4) the first time we visited Saint John, but one suggestion I have is to do a walk along the Harbour Passage (right along the waterfront from the Hilton), then return and have lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants. Our favorites are Grannan's and Steamer's. They're both pretty family-friendly. And you and DH can still enjoy some local brew.;)

In Halifax there's a playground right along the boardwalk near the Maritime Museum. We found it to be a great place to enjoy some sodas or ice cream while the kids blew off some steam.

My kids were older (youngest was 4) the first time we visited Saint John, but one suggestion I have is to do a walk along the Harbour Passage (right along the waterfront from the Hilton), then return and have lunch at one of the waterfront restaurants. Our favorites are Grannan's and Steamer's. They're both pretty family-friendly. And you and DH can still enjoy some local brew.;)

In Halifax there's a playground right along the boardwalk near the Maritime Museum. We found it to be a great place to enjoy some sodas or ice cream while the kids blew off some steam.

Unfortunately, for last summer and again for this summer the walk along Harbour Passage is cut very short, as, due to repairs being done to the Harbour Bridge, and the danger of falling debris, walkers are not allowed to proceed under the bridge to the rest of the trail.

I was talking with one of the Meet and Greet volunteers at the port last summer during a visit onboard one of the cruiseships, and I asked her what they were doing about people who want to walk to Reversing Falls now that the passage is closed. She said they strongly discourage walking along the street over the overpass as it is too dangerous. I was very relieved to hear that as I would not do it myself for that reason, and I would hate to think of one of our tourists being injured trying to walk it.

• 2 months later...

Any other ideas for St. John since the walk along Harbour Passage sounds like a no-go? A few of the Carnival excursions are free for infants and involve either walking or a low-speed vehicle like a trolley or horse drawn carriage. However if there are things to do in St. John that are safely walkable from the pier we would prefer to go on our own rather than take an excursion.

Also - and this may sound absurd - in either port is there any hope of finding a border services office near the ship and asking nicely if they would stamp her passport? This will be our little traveler's first trip outside of the US and having the stamp in her passport would be a fun remembrance. :)

Any other ideas for St. John since the walk along Harbour Passage sounds like a no-go? A few of the Carnival excursions are free for infants and involve either walking or a low-speed vehicle like a trolley or horse drawn carriage. However if there are things to do in St. John that are safely walkable from the pier we would prefer to go on our own rather than take an excursion.

Also - and this may sound absurd - in either port is there any hope of finding a border services office near the ship and asking nicely if they would stamp her passport? This will be our little traveler's first trip outside of the US and having the stamp in her passport would be a fun remembrance. :)

In Saint John - Canadian Customs Border Service is located 1 block from cruise terminal. A greeter will point you in the right direction.

Archived