Stupid International question from Floridian

NewHere

Living in FL I never need airfare. At least I have't in years. I know in the 'olden' days, if you bought the air/cruise package the cruise line would handle the situation if your flight was delayed/canceled, etc.

With RCCL's 'new' method for purchasing air-do they still do that? Do you buy air through the cruise line or independantly?

If you book your own air' date=' you get to select your flights. If the cruiseline does it, you are at their mercy. I would do my homework and price it out both ways.[/quote']

What he said. Though to be honest, I've never found a better deal by letting the cruise line do the flights.

Here in the EU, if you purchase an air/sea package with the cruise line, you are protected by the EU Package Travel Directive and similar laws individually enacted in each EU country.

Among other issues, which always lead to a heated discussion on these boards because similar laws don't appear to exist in the United States, if your flight is cancelled and you cannot get to your cruise and therefore miss your cruise, the cruiseline (who is the "organizer" under this law), must give you a full refund in cash (air and cruise).

In the United States, the cruiseline tries to say that it only acts as an agent for booking the airline flights and does not take responsibility for the entire trip as a package. Because of this lack of consumer protection in the United States, you are urged to purchase travel insurance.

I hope this information helps,

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

New choices available through Choice Air allow you to select your own flights and dates and competitive rates. They are worth checking out. They also show a lot of connections and alternatives that some other sites do not show. Never hurts to comparison shop ;)

Living in FL I never need airfare. At least I have't in years. I know in the 'olden' days, if you bought the air/cruise package the cruise line would handle the situation if your flight was delayed/canceled, etc.

With RCCL's 'new' method for purchasing air-do they still do that? Do you buy air through the cruise line or independantly?

I think those 'olden' days are a very long time ago. In fact, while the cruise lines' say they will 'help' you, you're pretty much on your own if something goes wrong while travelling on cruise air. I wouldn't touch cruise air with a ten-foot pole, myself.

For a more detailed answer to your query, check out the sticky on the Cruise Air board.

you're pretty much on your own if something goes wrong while travelling on cruise air. I wouldn't touch cruise air with a ten-foot pole, myself.

From Choice Air (regardless of who you book cruise an flight with, I would recommend travel insurance):

While you travel

We'll continue to monitor flights to identify air travel disruptions that could jeopardize your timely arrival at the ship. If any flight disruptions or delays occur, we'll be prepared to assist you. In the event of a delay that causes you to miss your ship, we'll work with you and our airlines for 48 hours to find a reasonable alternative so you can meet up with your ship at the next port (when feasible). For complete peace of mind before – and during – your trip, consider CruiseCare, our vacation protection plan.

If there is a disruption to your cruise schedule that causes you to miss your return flight, we'll work with you and the airline to get you on another flight at no additional cost.

Archived