Grand Cayman in January - chance of cancellation?

psbfan01

I am hoping to go to Grand Cayman next January on Princess. For those of you with some experience, what chance is there of that port being cancelled due to bad weather (because tendering is not possible)? Has this ever happened to you in January?

TIA

There's always a chance of cancellations, but most of the chatter I've heard about it is during hurricane season. I think January tends to be fairly calm. It was absolutely perfect 2 weeks ago when we were there.

There's always a chance of cancellations, but most of the chatter I've heard about it is during hurricane season. I think January tends to be fairly calm. It was absolutely perfect 2 weeks ago when we were there.

No. Nope. Sorry.

While I am glad it was fairly calm for this cruiser, most of the cancellations actually are during the peak tourist season months of December through March.

Hurricanes can certainly cause ship re-routings but a simple cold front that drops down from the Gulf of Mexico and turn the winds to an unfavourable direction. When these nor'westers blow through then ships must either divert to our alternate tendering location at Spotts (limit three ships per day there) or else bypass the island altogether. There are a lot more cold fronts in a typical winter than there are hurricanes which affect Cayman.

We were in GC from mid-December to mid-January. Due to a cancelled flight, a couple staying at our hotel missed the beginning of their cruise leaving out of South Florida. So, they flew to GC hoping to get on the ship there. Unfortunately, the ship didn't end up stopping in GC because of the weather/rough seas. They stayed in GC and made the best of it---it was their honeymoon, so they'll eventually have an interesting story to tell their kids. I don't know how often this happens, but....

To put it in perspective, though, we were able to see the ships from our hotel and almost all of them were there as planned. There were a few days when the ships were routed to Spotts. So the odds of not getting there are probably low, but not impossible.

Archived