Help help help!!!

I need help planning what to do in Progreso. My parent have been and they did the ruins tour but we are just not into seeing that. My mom also says the beaches are not nearly as pretty as Cozumel and to do all beach activities in Cozumel. What is left to do in Progreso that will entertain age's 50, 40, and 2 30 somethings? We all like to have fun.

I always spend the day in Merida. Lots of history with bldgs dating back to the 1500s and the oldest cathedral of the Americas. Very safe and clean. I've also had three 2 wk vacations to the area using Merida as my base. Local bus is three bucks round trip. Keep reading this board and checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com, a very good visitor's guide.

We went to a relatively new beach resort called Silcer Beach Club that is geared towards cruise ship passengers & is only about 10 minutes away. It was $15 each for transportation to & from there & the use of the facilities.

We were impressed. For the $15 each we paid we got roundtrip transportation with vans leaving every 30 minutes, nice beach chairs, pool, VERY clean nice restrooms & showers, & the use of ocean kayaks.

They had an all-inclusive liquor package for $25 each or food & liquor for $35 or you can pay as you go. Beer was $3 each. We ordered chips & salsa that was very good. The salsa had lime in it giving it a different flavor. The service was EXCELLENT.

The beach was nice (it is not Barbados nice but much nicer than at the Reef or what we saw of the beach close to the pier (the seaweed was horrible the day we were there). We had a view of the ship from the beach. It is kind of quiet there though.

My DH & I took a long walk down the beach & met some really nice people that were wintering in Progreso in condos. We watched some locals out fishing & pulling their cart with their catch down the beach. It was really very quaint & not crowded at all! If you like to collect shells we saw TONS of beautiful shells on the beach while we were walking.

Massages were available & there was only one vendor there selling his wares & he only approached us once!

The man that told us about Silcer Beach Club, Cristobal Figueroa (he said everybody calls him Cris) showed up to make sure we were having a good time. I told him I wanted to post about the Silcer Beach Club on CC when I got back so he gave me a card. If anyone is interested his e-mail is criss.tours@live.com or his website is www.crisstours.webs.com

Juli

We went to a relatively new beach resort called Silcer Beach Club that is geared towards cruise ship passengers & is only about 10 minutes away. It was $15 each for transportation to & from there & the use of the facilities.

We were impressed. For the $15 each we paid we got roundtrip transportation with vans leaving every 30 minutes, nice beach chairs, pool, VERY clean nice restrooms & showers, & the use of ocean kayaks.

They had an all-inclusive liquor package for $25 each or food & liquor for $35 or you can pay as you go. Beer was $3 each. We ordered chips & salsa that was very good. The salsa had lime in it giving it a different flavor. The service was EXCELLENT.

The beach was nice (it is not Barbados nice but much nicer than at the Reef or what we saw of the beach close to the pier (the seaweed was horrible the day we were there). We had a view of the ship from the beach. It is kind of quiet there though.

My DH & I took a long walk down the beach & met some really nice people that were wintering in Progreso in condos. We watched some locals out fishing & pulling their cart with their catch down the beach. It was really very quaint & not crowded at all! If you like to collect shells we saw TONS of beautiful shells on the beach while we were walking.

Massages were available & there was only one vendor there selling his wares & he only approached us once!

The man that told us about Silcer Beach Club, Cristobal Figueroa (he said everybody calls him Cris) showed up to make sure we were having a good time. I told him I wanted to post about the Silcer Beach Club on CC when I got back so he gave me a card. If anyone is interested his e-mail is criss.tours@live.com or his website is www.crisstours.webs.com

Juli[/size

Did you have this set up before you went or did you just see a vendor selling excursions off the pier. How did you hear about this is my question. I put this on my list thank you very much!

Did you have this set up before you went or did you just see a vendor selling excursions off the pier. How did you hear about this is my question. I put this on my list thank you very much!

Click on my Elation review & there is more info & pics. It was not as nice a beach as in Cozumel but we went to the Reef last time we were in Progreso & although the pool there is great we didn't care for the beach. We thought the beach at Silcer was nicer & the service was excellent.

We went to ride the double decker bus to start our day in Progreso & the man there told us about the Silcer Beach Club. He had pics & all & what really sold us on going there was he said the seaweed was not as bad there as around the pier. We had planned to hang out at the beach around the pier but the smell was too bad! The day we were there seaweed had washed in & the smell around the pier was horrible. Our cabin on the ship even smelled fishy!

Also, I had read about how bad the vendors are at the beach by the pier & we didn't have any problems at Silcer. We had a great day there so I am glad we experienced the problem with the seaweed or we might not have found Silcer!

Juli

Juli you sold me. I am 99% sure we will go to Slicer. I have been emailing back and forth today and I can reserve for a small fee. The prices have seemed to have gone up a little but not much and it is still very well priced.

Thank you for letting me know about this. Since we are not doing Nachi in Cozumel and opted for a Dune Buggy ride the beach break in Progreso will have to make up for that.

How did you find the e-mail for Slicer? This one sounds good to us because we want the beach and the drinks but also want water sports. Did they have jet skis by chance?

Juli introduced me to it and if you look there is an email in one of her responses. I am not sure about jet skis he didn't say in the email today???

Juli you sold me. I am 99% sure we will go to Slicer. I have been emailing back and forth today and I can reserve for a small fee. The prices have seemed to have gone up a little but not much and it is still very well priced.

Thank you for letting me know about this. Since we are not doing Nachi in Cozumel and opted for a Dune Buggy ride the beach break in Progreso will have to make up for that.

I hope you have a good day at Silcer. We did. Like I said it is not the greatest beach (like Barbados) I have ever been to but it was nice & the facilities & the service were excellent. It was very quiet the day we were there. There was only one vendor & he only approached us once.

I had been to Progreso once before but my DH had not. I was surprised when he said he would like to go back for a land trip. It really is quaint & the people are very nice.

I am surprised the prices went up. We were just there three weeks ago. I don't think you would have to reserve it but sometimes it is better to have something definite.

Post when you get back & let us know how your day was.

Juli

How did you find the e-mail for Slicer? This one sounds good to us because we want the beach and the drinks but also want water sports. Did they have jet skis by chance?

I didn't see any jet-skis or other water sports besides the ocean kayaks that are included in the price to get in.

It was really very quiet there. Very quaint. We went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel so we knew we were going to a more lively place the next day.

We really enjoyed both days though.

Juli

Open Bar $30.00 usd per person:

includes:

Full Service + Open Bar

All inclusive $ 45.00 usd per person

includes:

full service +open bar + meals

Full service is still $15.

That is from the email from Criss yesterday

Even your picture in front of the prices show different than what he quoted me. I bet they are getting more popular now.

Open Bar $30.00 usd per person:

includes:

Full Service + Open Bar

All inclusive $ 45.00 usd per person

includes:

full service +open bar + meals

Full service is still $15.

That is from the email from Criss yesterday

Even your picture in front of the prices show different than what he quoted me. I bet they are getting more popular now.

We paid the $15 to get there & use the facilities but I think it was going to be an additional $25 for the all-inclusive drinks or an additional $35 for the all-inclusive drinks & food so I think those prices are in addition to the original $15 but I am not sure so you might want to check. Hope I didn't make that more confusing.

We just paid as we went because we didn't plan on staying that long but we had such a good time there we didn't want to leave when it was time to go! I think it was a good deal either way. We saw a family that was definitely getting there monies worth there and they had a waiter practically at their beck & call!

Juli

We paid the $15 to get there & use the facilities but I think it was going to be an additional $25 for the all-inclusive drinks or an additional $35 for the all-inclusive drinks & food so I think those prices are in addition to the original $15 but I am not sure so you might want to check. Hope I didn't make that more confusing.

We just paid as we went because we didn't plan on staying that long but we had such a good time there we didn't want to leave when it was time to go! I think it was a good deal either way. We saw a family that was definitely getting there monies worth there and they had a waiter practically at their beck & call!

Juli

OK, I understand now. Well anyway, great prices either way. And we will be the family getting our monies worth, LOL.

Archived