Dress Code Poll

Can'tstopcruising

I vote #3. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual (nicely!) in all public locations except the top deck.

We live in a country club neighborhood. Yes, it's in the country, but on a golf course. No overalls and straw hats for us (although our home backs up to a pasture with cows and beautiful horses.) :D Anyway, while the dress code at our club used to be on the dressy side (men would wear sports jackets and women would wear dresses/pantsuits to dinner) the dress code has even changed for the club. Whereas jeans were once forbidden all together, jeans are now restricted to the bar/lounge area for dining. Some members are even getting away with wearing them in the formal dining room. The dining room is now more casual with men in sweaters, dress shirts or even golf shirts. Women now wear pants and Capri's. I am fine with these changes. I like to be comfortable, also. ;) However, when a dinner or event is called FORMAL, then you should dress the part, or at least wear suits/ties for men, dressy pants and tops for women (that's what we now wear on formal nights.)

Speaking of Formal nights, how many nights are there on an 11 night cruise to the Mediterranean?

let's get this straight. Please choose one option.

On formal nights:

1. I think each and every passenger should dress formally' date=' the entire evening and in all public locations except the top deck.

2. I think each and every passenger should dress formally in the dining room only.

3. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual (nicely!) in all public locations except the top deck.

4. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual in the dining room only.

5. I think each and every passenger should dress how he/she prefers, anywhere, any time, including shorts, flip flops, t-shirts, whatever.

I checked off "poll" but it may not work!

Also, in replies, would those of you who choose country club casual (or smart casual) please describe exactly what you mean. I think these terms may mean different things to different people.[/quote']

:)

Speaking of Formal nights, how many nights are there on an 11 night cruise to the Mediterranean?

There should be 2 formal nights on your 11 night cruise. That's in Celebrity's FAQ.

I also vote for #3. I'm in my thirties, and I still feel that one should dress up a bit on cruise, especially if it originates on the East Coast. If it originates in Galveston (RCCL not Celebrity) or California, then #4 is acceptable.

Shoes should be loafers or dress sandals, and unless it's a blazing summer day and the event is outdoors, you should wear nice socks.

Sorry retiredldo, I have profound respect for Marine vets, but this Navy vet will NOT wear socks with dress sandals, or any other kind of sandals, for that matter.

Semper Fi! :)

I think #3 would be acceptable. On our cruise January 15 on Mercury, I saw more than a fw people in sweats. Celebrity should either enforce or relax the standards to #3. I would rather not bring a tux, a sport coat is fine however.

There should be 2 formal nights on your 11 night cruise. That's in Celebrity's FAQ.

I also vote for #3. I'm in my thirties, and I still feel that one should dress up a bit on cruise, especially if it originates on the East Coast. If it originates in Galveston (RCCL not Celebrity) or California, then #4 is acceptable.

Thanks! The last cruise where we sailed for longer than 10 days, we had 3 Formal nights. Two is enough for me. I'd really be happy with just one. :)

Sorry retiredldo, I have profound respect for Marine vets, but this Navy vet will NOT wear socks with dress sandals, or any other kind of sandals, for that matter.

Semper Fi! :)

No socks for my DH unless it is Formal night. Oh, and he does not wear sandals. :D

3. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual (nicely!) in all public locations except the top deck. Would like no. 1 but that is unrealistic in these times.

Smart Casual is exactly what celebrity says it is. No jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc. As many have said in past posts concerning dress code, if you want to dress down then go to Carnival Cruises.

Smart Casual is exactly what celebrity says it is. No jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc. As many have said in past posts concerning dress code, if you want to dress down then go to Carnival Cruises.

While I would normally agree with you based on our second Carnival cruise (during Spring Break 2006, and out of Orlando). We saw all types of dress, including hats, tank tops and shorts in the dining room. :( However, our very first cruise on Carnival (2001 out of Miami) - around the second week in December - everyone dressed up for dinner.

Now, lets go to our last Carnival cruise (this past November, out of Charleston, SC.) I do not recall seeing many, if any, bad dressers. In fact, I was prepared for the "dress down" and didn't take anything very Formal. Perhaps it was the clientele for this particular cruise (a one time stop for the Glory) but we were pleasantly surprised with the clientele, the service and the food! :)

While I would normally agree with you based on our second Carnival cruise (during Spring Break 2006, and out of Orlando). We saw all types of dress, including hats, tank tops and shorts in the dining room. :( However, our very first cruise on Carnival (2001 out of Miami) - around the second week in December - everyone dressed up for dinner.

Now, lets go to our last Carnival cruise (this past November, out of Charleston, SC.) I do not recall seeing many, if any, bad dressers. In fact, I was prepared for the "dress down" and didn't take anything very Formal. Perhaps it was the clientele for this particular cruise (a one time stop for the Glory) but we were pleasantly surprised with the clientele, the service and the food! :)

We had the same experience on the Carnival Freedom in 2008. This was an eastern Mediterranean cruise. People were decently dressed, service was wonderful, and the food was MUCH better than the food on RCI. Went expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. This was NOT a party cruise.

3. I think each and every passenger should dress either formally or country club casual (nicely!) in all public locations except the top deck. Would like no. 1 but that is unrealistic in these times.

The dress code for Celebrity has changed in that they now allow jeans in the dining room on smart casual nights as long as they are without holes or rips.

Archived