Help me choose between 2 NCL cruises (xposted)

ama223

Me, DH (30's) and our 2 boys - (will be 5.5 and a little over 3) are planning on cruising the end of March 2012.

Right now, it's between these two cruises, both sailing March 24, 2012. The main reason we're leaning towards the Eastern vs. Western is because I've done the Western before.. and am interested in visiting the Eastern locations.

I guess it really comes down to, which ship will be better for us? We aren't big partiers, drinkers on a cruise even without kids. We want relaxation, a good kids club, and nice meals while we're on the ship. We also want things we can enjoy with our boys. We don't shop, we probably wouldn't gamble much.. we'll see a show or 2, but it's not our main thing to do. So we don't need the "newest and best" ship...

And also, which ports? Like I said, we have no interest in shopping more than picking up a souvenier coffee mug. We like to see the sites, visit beaches, try some local foods. The only place that DH & I have been out of all of these islands was Nassau and we did a day-pass to Atlantis which was super fun.

Any advice?

Ship: Norwegian Sun

Departs: Roundtrip from Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral)

Ports of Call: Orlando & Beaches (Port Canaveral), Nassau, San Juan, St. Thomas, Great Stirrup Cay

Ship: Norwegian Epic

Departs: Roundtrip from Miami

Ports of Call: Miami, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Nassau

I would do the Sun just because of the size of the Epic. A lot of the great things about the Epic, your kids wouldn't care about. I myself want to do the Epic, but not with the kids. I'm even wondering if the Magic will be too large for my kids.

Either way, have a great cruise.

Nancy

I would tend toward the Sun just because of the itinerary... and what I imagine is the cost difference. You might be able to swing a nice room, or even a suite for the Sun at the same price as a family balcony on the Epic, for example. If you can do a suite, I highly recommend it... the perks were awesome for travelling with kids!!

Also, I'd pick an itinerary with Great Stirrup Cay- I love the private island ports, and NCL's is lovely- plus there is a $20 million renovation going on there adding all sorts of things like a sting ray pool, a new tender dock, kayak trails through the mangroves, more bar areas, a massage area, etc. The beach there is awesome... very nice sandy bottom, and great snorkeling if you're interested in that. My kids love beach days, and it's so convenient to have one all set up for you!

We have been on both the Pride of Aloha / Sky (same layout as Sun) and the Epic. If you are comparing the kids clubs the Sun has one of the oldest & smallest; the Epic has the largest & newest. The kids club on the Sun is forward within the bow with one large room split into thirds by dividers. The kids pool is no more than a splash / wading pool. On the Epic the kids club is mid-ship upper level with a wall of windows. There is ball cage and a theater within the club. On the pool deck is a splash pool, 3 water slides, a rock wall, a rappelling wall, and a climbing cage.

You might also want to consider the Pearl on 3/25; which has many of the amenities of the Epic at a lower cost. NCL lists the cruise as western, but it is more a central Caribbean cruise. The Pearl goes to Great Stirrup Cay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

Archived