Balcony ? on Zuiderdam

mj

We are looking to book our first cruise on HAL and want to go to Alaska in 2012. We were looking at a balcony that appeared to be over lifeboats. We were looking to book on the fifth deck like room 5092 or 5094. Is there any obstruction? Also, if we book at the front of the ship, are there doors that lead out to the front of the ship or are they locked?

If it was a caribbean trip it would not matter as much, but we want to make sure that we have a good balcony and pay extra if necessary. Any tips or advice for booking a balcony on the Zuiderdam for Alaska. Thanks.

There are no obstructed balconies to my knowledge, however, the most forward balconies have opaque metal panels under the railing rather than the usual transparent panels.

Passenger are granted access to the ship's bow and also the outdoor forward-looking walkways when near a port or observing a glacier in calm waters. Anybody can access these forward outdoor walkways (I have done so), regardless of their cabin location.

igraf

We are looking to book our first cruise on HAL and want to go to Alaska in 2012. We were looking at a balcony that appeared to be over lifeboats. We were looking to book on the fifth deck like room 5092 or 5094. Is there any obstruction? Also, if we book at the front of the ship, are there doors that lead out to the front of the ship or are they locked?

If it was a caribbean trip it would not matter as much, but we want to make sure that we have a good balcony and pay extra if necessary. Any tips or advice for booking a balcony on the Zuiderdam for Alaska. Thanks.

... appeared to be over lifeboats. We were looking to book on the fifth deck like room 5092 or 5094. Is there any obstruction?
The lifeboats would block your view only when trying to look steeply down. You wouldn't be able to see the ship waterline. The main disadvantage of the deck 5 VE and VF is that the balcony is only 4.5 ft deep.
... Also, if we book at the front of the ship, are there doors that lead out to the front of the ship or are they locked?
I've never fould the deck 5 forward doors to be locked, but it is very windy out on that deck when the ship is underway. There's no loungers or chairs out there, and not someplace where I would spend much time except when viewing glaciers.

There are no obstructed balconies to my knowledge, however, the most forward balconies have opaque metal panels under the railing rather than the usual transparent panels.

That's only true on deck 4, cabins 4001 to 4042.

We are looking to book our first cruise on HAL and want to go to Alaska in 2012.

If it was a caribbean trip it would not matter as much, but we want to make sure that we have a good balcony and

pay extra if necessary. Any tips or advice for booking a balcony on the Zuiderdam for Alaska. Thanks.

Our thinking was like yours when we booked for Alaska last year.

We chose an SC aft wrap-around balcony cabin. As the fully covered ones on deck five were taken,

we chose 6177 on deck six.

The view extends 270 degrees (from forward on the side ,

around the back all the way across the stern to the other

side of the ship) and it was that view we wanted for Alaska.

See photo ...

GBBALCONY_0292.jpg

The 5000 level (Verandah) balconies have transparent panels, it was the level below us (4000's) that had the metal panels.

I didn't realize this until I was on the ship (two weeks ago). At first we were bummed that the folks below us had larger balconies, until we realized that (a) they had the metal panel and therefore couldn't see out while seated and (b) because we were above them and set back a bit, we were looking down on them.

The 5000 level (Verandah) balconies have transparent panels, it was the level below us (4000's) that had the metal panels.

I didn't realize this until I was on the ship (two weeks ago). At first we were bummed that the folks below us had larger balconies, until we realized that (a) they had the metal panel and therefore couldn't see out while seated and (b) because we were above them and set back a bit, we were looking down on them.

Not all the balconies on Deck 4 have metal railings: only VH and VF cabins (up to 4041/4042) have it; the VD cabins have nice deep balconies and plexiglass railings. :D

On the Eurodam - VF left, VD right:

2889069070102790654S600x600Q85.jpg

Our thinking was like yours when we booked for Alaska last year.

We chose an SC aft wrap-around balcony cabin. As the fully covered ones on deck five were taken,

we chose 6177 on deck six.

The view extends 270 degrees (from forward on the side ,

around the back all the way across the stern to the other

side of the ship) and it was that view we wanted for Alaska.

See photo ...

GBBALCONY_0292.jpg

That balcony looks like a winner to me. We are strongly considering upgrading to that since this is an Alaskan cruise. Right now it will be category VC or SC.

Thanks

MJ,

Forgot to mention: While the ship is moving, there is a wind-chill factor on the side balconies. (15-20 knot ship speed = 15-20 knot wind on the sides of it)

The stern balconies or stern part of the aft-wrap will not have this issue or at least not nearly as much.

While this is a non-issue on warm-weather cruises, in Alaska it can be a problem. While we were lucky to have sunny weather, many Alaska cruisers do not.:)

Archived