Southeast Sea's Kayak/Flight combo?

Cherylc2

Hello

I'm looking at Southeast Sea Kayak in Ketchikan (which I found out about through this board). On their web site, they list a 5-hour Orcas Cove Kayaking and Misty Fjords Seaplane Adventure.

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/mistyfjord_flightseeing.html

I've only found one reference to this on this website. Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you think? How long was the flight and how was the pilot/plane?

Second question: I'm not a cruise person and my husband and I are rather athletic 30-somethings. Part of the appeal of the kayaking would be that it would let us get some exercise and stretch out, but I must admit that I've never done it. Are the people on these side trips mostly all experienced kayakers so I'll be the 'weakest link'?

Thanks!

Cheryl

We had a great tour with Southeast Sea Kayak in Ketchikan last May. Orca cove was beautiful -- the highlight was a close encounter with a friendly group of sea lions! Didn't do the flightseeing, but If we return, I would do this tour without any hesitation. We Kayaked with our 3 children (then ages 13, 11, and 5) in 2 kayaks -- one double and one triple. Although we are regular kayakers, they still ran through the basic instructions with us, so I'm sure you will have no problems at all. They will also adjust the pace of the trip to match the group, and there was so much to see along the way that we paused frequently. Make sure you bring a waterproof camera along!

My husband and I have also booked this combination trip for June. I was worried too. DH is strong, but I am a couch potato (and an *indoor girl*). I figured what the heck, it is a double kayak so if I get tired DH can paddle me everywhere. We have never kayaked before. I'm willing to give it a shot--it sounds fun, or hilarious at least! :D

We didn't get drenched, but did get splashed from time to time, and this was on a calm and sunny day. They do provide rain slickers and dry bags for your gear, so you will not get wet personally, but if you plan to take some photos while paddling (for example, when that sea lion pops up right next to the boat!), a waterproof camera would be safer.

We did this excursion last summer and it was wonderful. Our ship was late getting into port and SE Sea Kayaks was great about rescheduling us so we could get both the kayaking and flightseeing in. It was just us and the guide so we had our own personal tour of Orcas Cove. Didn't have too much luck with wildlife but we did see lots of eagles, jellyfish, and sea stars. After we got back onboard the boat, they had set out a nice spread of crackers, salmon, and fixings for us. Then the floatplane landed right at the back of the boat and we hopped on and took off. Both landing and taking off were very smooth. The pilot was great. I think you'll be very happy with this tour.

Many thanks! I decided to book, and was SOOOO disappointed when I logged on and saw that there were no opening after 9AM (which is when my boat comes in). So I e-mailed and asked to let me know if anything pops up.

Wouldn't you know, it felt like less than a couple minutes and they e-mailed back to say they added an 11:00 with the float plane!!

Yippee!!

(Sure did make me realize that we have to figure out Skagway and Juneau ASAP!!)

CC

Archived