Question about OBC

nevadabadgirl

I finally did it! Booked my first cruise, we'll be going in May instead of April. Did this to get the ES rate and a porthole room, and trip insurance for less than an upper/lower in April. Also, by then it might be warm enough for us desert rats to actually utilize the pool!

I understand that if the price drops, I can get an OBC. Is this only after the final payment date? (I know it's only after I pay the cruise in full). As the prices fluctuate, I will definitely keep an eye on them. I am also going to send some cash to cover my on board expenses as much as possible before the cruise. I want this to be as close to an all inclusive as I can. :D

Now my question is, the onboard account. I plan on doing it in cash and prepaying as much as possible (bon voyage, drink coupons, etc). At the end of the cruise, if I have a balance left, how do I go about getting my cash back?

I finally did it! Booked my first cruise, we'll be going in May instead of April. Did this to get the ES rate and a porthole room, and trip insurance for less than an upper/lower in April. Also, by then it might be warm enough for us desert rats to actually utilize the pool!

I understand that if the price drops, I can get an OBC. Is this only after the final payment date? (I know it's only after I pay the cruise in full). As the prices fluctuate, I will definitely keep an eye on them. I am also going to send some cash to cover my on board expenses as much as possible before the cruise. I want this to be as close to an all inclusive as I can. :D

Now my question is, the onboard account. I plan on doing it in cash and prepaying as much as possible (bon voyage, drink coupons, etc). At the end of the cruise, if I have a balance left, how do I go about getting my cash back?

Congrats!! If the price drops, you'll complete the online ES form. If you are not yet paid in full, your cruise balance due will decrease. If you are paid in full, you will get OBC.

Soemtimes we pre-pay alot ourselves, such as pre-paid gratuities, bon voyage, "buying" OBC, etc. If there is any left over (LOL), you will get a refund check the last night (morning) of your cruise.

I am not too concerned about "leftovers" lol But was just curious about how that "worked" lol. If I did have some leftover, it would be the first of many many vacations!

I'll try to tell my son to remember we need gas money to get home. Let's see if he saves any money that way :D It doesn't work when I tell myself that :D

Ok one last quick question. If the on board account is cash based, how much do they require to be in there for a 4 day cruise (I did prepay gratuities)? Also, if you have that full amount, do they still make you put up a credit card/debit card? I'd prefer not to. If you start spending too much, can you add a credit/debit card later in the cruise?

Sorry for all the questions. I probably won't need to know all this but I'd rather be prepared for all possibilities.

Congrats on booking!

I understand that if the price drops, I can get an OBC. Is this only after the final payment date? (I know it's only after I pay the cruise in full).

You will get OBC if your cruise is paid in full - prior to that you receive the rate you found - instead of what you booked at

As the prices fluctuate, I will definitely keep an eye on them. I am also going to send some cash to cover my on board expenses as much as possible before the cruise. I want this to be as close to an all inclusive as I can. :D

My first carnival cruise I got the photo coupons, etc. This last cruise I did Fun dollars. I didn't like the coupons - but the Fun Dollars worked out GREAT!! If you don't spend it all they will give you a check in the middle of the night before you disembark. I like the Fun Dollars cause you can spend it any way you want.

When you say you are sending cash, I'm confused as to what you mean. Normally, if you are gonna put cash into your sail and sign account, that's only done after you board the cruise ship and head over to Guest Services. Some more seasoned cruisers on here can help me out, but to my knowledge, you can't go ahead and create a S&S account online with Carnival to have ready for when you board.

And as the poster stated above, even if you haven't made final payment, keep watching for price drops and submit the form. You will get the difference taken off your remaining balance!:D

Have a great cruise!

Archived