Ruby Princess Wedding Review

Hello Everyone! I just wanted to write a quick review of our ceremony on the Ruby Princess January 25, 2011.

We got married the first day at sea with the plan to get married on the Sabatini's deck. We had been shown the location on embarkation day and it is absolutely beautiful. As you all know, things don't always go as planned and our wedding day was the only day with rain and insane winds, so our ceremony was moved indoors. I'm not a huge fan of the chapel, so they accomodated us and held the ceremony in the Adagio bar, which is inside right next to the outside Terrace we would have had the ceremony on had the weather cooperated. The sea was restless and wavy (much like my tummy) and it was hard to stand up without toppling over, but I have no regrets with our decision to get married at sea. It was absolutely fantastic. The coordinators were extremely helpful and accomadating. I changed my entire vows at the last minute (we wrote our own) and they were completely ok with that. They even printed out copies of both of our vows, so we could have a reference in case we forgot them (which we did). The captain was extremely charming and it was so special to be married by him.

There were many areas that far exceeded my expectation: I had my hair done by Olga in the Lotus Salon and Spa and she was amazing. I only hope to find someone so talented near my home. Our photographer Craig was not your average ship photographer. He was so talented and fun. We ordered an extra hour of photography and he took over 300 photos in 2 hours. Because we heard the photos could be pricey weren't planning on buying many, but he did such an amazing job we bought them all. Luckily, the rain stopped during the ceremony and the sun came out, so we were able to take many photos outside with the ocean as our backdrop and they turned out beautifully. As I said, Craig is not your average wedding photographer, on his next sabbatical from the ship he will be photographing apes in the Congo. The videographer also did a fantastic job and we got all our photographs and the DVD before the cruise ended. We've already watched the DVD and it is hilarious to see me clomping down the aisle trying my darndest not to fall over from the bumpy and rolling ship. As funny as it was, it also made me tear up as Nathan the videographer caught many moments between my husband and I that I didn't know he was filming. That DVD is such a great gift. The other amazing part of the day was our dinner at Sabatini's. We had 16 people in our group and they sectioned off a semi-private area for us. They brought us EVERY dish on the menu. We were soooo full, but it was by far the most amazing food I have ever had. The matre'd and staff truly made us feel special and treated our party like royalty. Last, but not least the cake...was...unbelievable. I really wasn't expecting much from the cake, but not only was it beautiful, but so moist, fresh and delcious. We were so stuffed by the time the cake came, but we all managed to shove some in. We had more than enough and asked them to serve the leftovers to the staff and remaining Sabatini diners.

I really only have two complaints and with how amazing everything else was they are minimal. 1) They screwed up my flowers. I ordered 2 dozen roses for my bouquet and 1 dozen for my maid of honor. Instead they gave me 3 one dozen bouqets. It really was no problem and I gave the extra bouquet to a good friend who helped me with my makeup that day. 2) The music got messed up. It started and stopped a few times in the processional before they got it figured out (it was a CD) and then they didn't fade it out once I reached the alter, so we just stood around staring at each other til we verbally told the sound tech he could fade it out. Again, no big deal and it adds character to the ceremony and DVD as we are both standing there laughing wondering if they the music would ever end.

While the ceremony didn't exactly go without a hitch, I wouldn't change a thing. It was everything I wanted and reflected my husband and I perfectly. The best part is that we have amazing pictures and a video to always remind us of our perfect day.

Anyway, that is all and please feel free to ask me any questions. I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Oh! And last, but not least, here is a link to our favorite pictures from the photographer http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/19202710/1/Wedding%20Photos?h=591587 There are a few silly ones in there towards then (like the groom and best man looking like they are about to kiss)...it's just the kind of awesome day we were having!

Adrianne

Thanks for the review. We're getting married on the Ruby in April, it was nice to see a review of that specific ship.

Did you like the Adagio Lounge? Any downsides? We've chosen a lounge instead of the chapel and we have about the same size party, so I'm wondering if that's the lounge they'd put us in.

Thanks for the review. We're getting married on the Ruby in April, it was nice to see a review of that specific ship.

Did you like the Adagio Lounge? Any downsides? We've chosen a lounge instead of the chapel and we have about the same size party, so I'm wondering if that's the lounge they'd put us in.

The Adagio was very nice. I really don't have any complaints. One side is all windows looking out onto the terrace and ocean. Our photographer said he prefers photographing there as opposed to the chapel because of the natural light and size.

Good luck! Your wedding will be perfect! Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Thanks hun, good to know. I didn't like the decor of the chapel which is why we've chosen a lounge.

Totally random question, but do you think we'll get the same photographer? Did he mention when his contract is up? Also I've read that the captain is a British gentleman......is that correct? Can't remember his name right now.

I've been trying to get an answer from TWE about upgrading my flowers, but it's been 3 weeks, and multiple emails from me, and still no response. After reading your review I'm tempted to just go with the standard options and not run the risk of a screw up.

Thanks hun, good to know. I didn't like the decor of the chapel which is why we've chosen a lounge.

Totally random question, but do you think we'll get the same photographer? Did he mention when his contract is up? Also I've read that the captain is a British gentleman......is that correct? Can't remember his name right now.

I've been trying to get an answer from TWE about upgrading my flowers, but it's been 3 weeks, and multiple emails from me, and still no response. After reading your review I'm tempted to just go with the standard options and not run the risk of a screw up.

I felt the same way about the chapel, which is why we had planned on doing the ceremony outside, but you can't ever count on the weather. All the lounges I saw on the ship were beautiful and tasteful, so even if you aren't in the Adagio, you'll be fine. The Ruby is their newest ship and it is beautifully decorated.

You may get the same photographer, I don't think his contract is up til June or July. I know he's going to the Congo in July, so it's gotta be around then. His name is Craig, he's from New Zealand.

The captain's name is Captain Tony Yeoman and he is British and very charming. He was very sweet and I am so glad he was our officiant. You'll love him.

I also had issues getting a hold of TWE. I finally found that if you email the general email address instead of an individual person you are more likely to get a hold of someone. As for the flowers, don't be afraid to upgrade. Just make sure you go over the details with your ship coordinator when you meet them. I assumed everything was clear enough in the contract they had, but it would have been better if I had verbally clarified it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently trying to put together a wedding on the Ruby for next March. The current price is $2250 including the marriage license. (plus the cruise fare of course).This fee seems to be required to be paid the day you book the wedding. Would it be rude to ask how much extra above this that your wedding cost? I'm just not sure how much my fiance and I can afford and I don't want to get myself into something that kills my budget. I already have about 16 family and friends who have confirmed that they want to come with us. It seems that the more who come, the more it will cost us.

We are getting married on the Ruby Princess on 4/3/11 while in Port Everglades. Anyone hade an experience with the Panache' salon that comes to the hotel to do hair and makeup? Our coordinator has been Alxandria and she has been pretty good about responding. We are waiting on the final details now......

Our reception is booked in Skywalkers. I hope we get the same photographer as discussed above.

When in April are you getting married. My daughter is getting married on the Ruby April 5 2011

I am currently trying to put together a wedding on the Ruby for next March. The current price is $2250 including the marriage license. (plus the cruise fare of course).This fee seems to be required to be paid the day you book the wedding. Would it be rude to ask how much extra above this that your wedding cost? I'm just not sure how much my fiance and I can afford and I don't want to get myself into something that kills my budget. I already have about 16 family and friends who have confirmed that they want to come with us. It seems that the more who come, the more it will cost us.

The price will only increase if you need any upgrade. The only way the price will increase the more people you invite is if you have a reception or a dinner in a speciality restaurant. If you choose to have the dinner in the main dining room you will have no additional charge as far as I know.

Here are the additional charges we incurred regarding upgrades. The package only comes with one bouquet and boutinniere, so any additional ones for the wedding party or parents are additional (Bridesmaid bouquet $120, boutinnieres $15 a piece and corsages $25 a piece) . We also upgraded to a larger cake ($120), which was not needed (we had 16 people total). The original size would have been plenty and included in the package price. We added an additional hour of photograph ($50) and a manicure ($29) was paid for before we left as opposed to when we got on the boat. I had my hair done on the boat ($50). Lastly, we had our dinner at Sabatini's, which was a $20 per person charge. Our additional charges came to $826, but again, this is just because of the above upgrades. If you choose to stick with just what is included in the package, you will not have any additional charges. Remember, though, you will want more pictures/video than are included in the package. Make sure to add that to your budget as that was probably our biggest expense outside of the wedding package. Good luck and congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hun

If you're still checking the boards. TWE is asking if I want to upgrade my cake so everyone can have some. I have 17 of us, that's including the bride and groom, do you think we need to upgrade? I had heard that the "cake for two" was plenty big enough.

thanks

Hey Hun

If you're still checking the boards. TWE is asking if I want to upgrade my cake so everyone can have some. I have 17 of us, that's including the bride and groom, do you think we need to upgrade? I had heard that the "cake for two" was plenty big enough.

thanks

I was told the cake will serve about 10 people. Also, you can't add a tier to that cake. Any additional cake will have to be an entirely separate cake which I didn't like at all... now I have to have two cakes! (wow I just said cake a lot lol)

Oh well I'll just leave it. I'm sure we can squeeze 17 small pieces out of it. There are so many "free" tasty treats on board I am not willing to put out more money.

I know what you mean! I am having 70 wedding guests so when I called about the cakes, they said "don't forget you'll have the cake that comes with the package!" I was like... wait... I can't just add that to the cake I am getting? That totally changed my plans. So I changed the flavors so they would be totally different. Seemed pointless to have two vanilla cakes... one is vanilla/buttercream/fondant, the other is chocolate/chocolate/fondant.

I paid just under $550 for the cake that i ordered special. they wouldnt refund me any money for the package cake so once on board I asked to get the cake 2 days later in the evening....it was 2 people in my groups birthday so we had birthday cake :p:D

Archived