Covered Balcony on Mid Ship Aloha Deck Coral Princess??

bunyababy

Please Help!!

We are interested in the Mid ship Bumped out mini suite rooms on the Aloha Deck....OR.....the Baja.

It is very hard to figure out whether the Aloha Deck room A416 is a covered balcony or not? According to the web site that is often posted here, the Aloha Deck Balcony IS covered...but....if you look at the picture it does not appear that way?

middle-bumpoutjpgw560h352.jpg

"Above photo shows the middle bump out section. The Aloha, Baja, Caribe balconies are fully covered. The Dolphin deck balconies here are partially covered. There are no Emerald deck balconies here because of the life boats."

416jpgw300h361.jpg

Cabin A416 does not appear to be covered?

Have any of you ever stayed specifically in this cabin?

We are also thinking of cabin B416 or B504 because they are covered, but they look like they might not be as private?

Decisions, Decisions??? I have tried to research this by using the "search" feature but unfortunately did not have any luck finding the correct information.

Thanks Everyone

Smiles, Connie

Yes Rick, I have to agree with you!

I think the Baja deck would be a much better choice.

The balcony size is sure a lot smaller on these cabins.

On Aloha and Baja and Caribe they are 8'10" x 3' 11" as opposed to Dophin balconies which are 8'10" x 6'7".

That is the sacrifice for amazing views.

Oh well :rolleyes::D

Smiles,Connie

:)Bunyababy, you might want to check the wonderful site where all of the balconies of the Coral/Island are shown - whether covered, uncovered, etc. We used it in selecting our cabin for of 12/30 Coral cruise. Site is:http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id4.html

:)Bunyababy, you might want to check the wonderful site where all of the balconies of the Coral/Island are shown - whether covered, uncovered, etc. We used it in selecting our cabin for of 12/30 Coral cruise. Site is:http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/id4.html

Thank you Princess Elite. Yes, this web site is a very helpful tool when visualizing the cabins locations, appearances etc. If you scroll further down this thread you will see that these pictures are in fact from that web site.

It is helpful, but not 100% accurate. He states that the Aloha Deck Balconies are fully covered. He also states the same information in his drawn diagram of Aloha Deck.

I was really hoping for some feedback from someone who actually stayed in the bump out cabins on the Aloha Deck or at least has seen it first hand.:(

I do agree with Rick that they look partially covered but by "partially" I would say "practically not"!

Still unsure!

Smiles, Connie

We booked B416 because after doing research I am 98 percent sure that A416 is partially covered and not that much.

Someone did point out to me as a side note that as a corner balcony, even though covered you have more exposure to sun/wind/rain just by having no divider. Something to keep in mind.

I received a response to an e-mail I had sent to Tom. He had not been in one of mid-ship bump out cabins but relied upon input from a recent cruiser in one of those cabins who assured him that the balconies were completely covered. He has additional photos from that cruiser taken from a different angle that show much more coverage (>50%) but probably not totally covered.

I received a response to an e-mail I had sent to Tom. He had not been in one of mid-ship bump out cabins but relied upon input from a recent cruiser in one of those cabins who assured him that the balconies were completely covered. He has additional photos from that cruiser taken from a different angle that show much more coverage (>50%) but probably not totally covered.

Very helpful....but.....still confusing :confused:

"Completely covered or probably greater than 50%" HELP!! Ha, Ha.!!

I guess even it is greater than 50% coverage....that is still not enough coverage when a balcony is only 3'11" wide. I guess that means at best maybe 2' or so would be covered? That would not be a problem if it were a standard balcony at 6'7" .....then at least you could still sit outside and be protected from sun or rain.

I have to thank you again IECalCruiser for taking the time to email your friend.

I guess I better stick with my plan of attack and stay with the B504 room that I currently have on hold! It is still an AA category but it is on the Baja deck mid ship bump out but the end cabin towards the stern. We figured we can look back at where we have been and say our goodbyes! Ha.Ha. We also thought maybe it would have more protection from the wind.

I wish all of life's decisions were this hard (or maybe I should say "this fun")

:D

Connie

Please Help!!

We are interested in the Mid ship Bumped out mini suite rooms on the Aloha Deck....OR.....the Baja."

We are booked on the Coral, Feb 2012, LA to FLL. I prefer a mini for the extra room and the bathtub--especially for 14 days. And, as I easily get sea sick, I want a midship cabin too. (picky aren't I?) However, after checking out the pictures on the website cited above, I decided no--due to the extreme lack of privacy as the mini's are only on the pop-out corners and the curving balcony. It appears from the pictures, like most ships mini suites, they aren't covered (or perhaps only a foot from the pictures). We are now booked in a mid-ship Caribe balcony--partially covered. Saved lots of money too!

We are booked on the Coral, Feb 2012, LA to FLL. I prefer a mini for the extra room and the bathtub--especially for 14 days. And, as I easily get sea sick, I want a midship cabin too. (picky aren't I?) However, after checking out the pictures on the website cited above, I decided no--due to the extreme lack of privacy as the mini's are only on the pop-out corners and the curving balcony. It appears from the pictures, like most ships mini suites, they aren't covered (or perhaps only a foot from the pictures). We are now booked in a mid-ship Caribe balcony--partially covered. Saved lots of money too!

Yes I am sure you are saving some money booking a balcony cabin rather than a mini-suite. I have read that the balconies on the Caribe deck are an excellent size!;)

Yes, Aloha mini-suites cabins appear to barely be covered...but.....the Baja and Caribe are most definitely fully covered!

I am on the other end of the spectrum from you.

We really want the larger room. Especially the bathtub/shower. I can also see us using the couch quite a bit. For this we will have to sacrifice the balcony size. I am not worried about the privacy issue though. When you look at the pictures....cabin B416 is more private than assumed.

A414 and B414 would have a difficult time seeing into cabin B416 because they are recessed quite far back.

C414 and D414 are far more exposed than B416 simply because everyone is looking down at them when looking our on the balcony. Everyone on Caribe and Dolphin would have to be purposely looking up to see us in B416.

Also being that all the bump out balconies on the Aloha, Baja, and Caribe are identical in size....that will eliminate the ability for them to look down into each others cabin.

I was told by the Princess rep that all balconies on the bump out on the Aloha deck can be looked down on from the lido deck.

416jpgw300h361.jpg

Ok......I know...clear as mud and OCD! Yep, that is me! Ha,Ha.

Smiles, Connie

Actually you pretty much nailed why we chose B416.

The only concern is the wind tunnel effect when the ship is underway...

Yes I am sure you are saving some money booking a balcony cabin rather than a mini-suite. I have read that the balconies on the Caribe deck are an excellent size!;)

Yes, Aloha mini-suites cabins appear to barely be covered...but.....the Baja and Caribe are most definitely fully covered!

I am on the other end of the spectrum from you.

We really want the larger room. Especially the bathtub/shower. I can also see us using the couch quite a bit. For this we will have to sacrifice the balcony size. I am not worried about the privacy issue though. When you look at the pictures....cabin B416 is more private than assumed.

A414 and B414 would have a difficult time seeing into cabin B416 because they are recessed quite far back.

C414 and D414 are far more exposed than B416 simply because everyone is looking down at them when looking our on the balcony. Everyone on Caribe and Dolphin would have to be purposely looking up to see us in B416.

Also being that all the bump out balconies on the Aloha, Baja, and Caribe are identical in size....that will eliminate the ability for them to look down into each others cabin.

I was told by the Princess rep that all balconies on the bump out on the Aloha deck can be looked down on from the lido deck.

416jpgw300h361.jpg

Ok......I know...clear as mud and OCD! Yep, that is me! Ha,Ha.

Smiles, Connie

Actually you pretty much nailed why we chose B416.

The only concern is the wind tunnel effect when the ship is underway...

Yep....that is why we decided on B504. The wind hits the front of the bump out and goes around the remaining outsides of the balcony. The partition also protects from the incoming wind created by the ship moving forward.

504jpgw300h365.jpg

Smiles,Connie

Connie--May regret our decision--the extra space, the couch, the bathtub--it was a lot to give up--I just didn't like the look of those corner popouts. If only we had the money for a suite! Pat

Pat, have you considered maybe looking at these mini suites which are mid ship and have a large balcony.

island-coral-d.jpg Cabins D416, D504, D417 and D503 are all minisuites and partially covered balconies. They are 8' 10" x 6' 7". The balconies above them are the 8' 10" x 3' 11". That would cover more than half of your deck.

Here is a great picture showing how little exposure you would have in these cabins. Maybe one or at the most two cabins will be able to see you and that is only if you are more in the front of your balcony and apparently standing up.

photoi.jpg

Just a thought? :D;)

Smiles, Connie

Pat....I hope I am not overstepping my bounds here...but:

If you research the cost of your cruise the BA category ( which I assume you have booked being that you wanted Caribe and mid ship ).....is $250 less per person than the AD cat mini suite. But...here is the kicker,

If you have an American Express Platinum Card then one of the members benefits is a complimentary 2 category upgrade within the same category!

And.....if you really wanted to jump up you would pay the same price to go from an AD to an AB OR even better from an AC to an AA...and the AD, AC price is the same. So, the AA would be available too if you chose to book that instead.

Also another Cruise Privilege Program Benefit is along with the 2 category upgrade you get a free bottle of champagne and dinner for two at Sabatinis

(the first night on the cruise only)

We took advantage of this offer. You guys who live in the U.S. get even better benefits than us Canadians. For us, because we travel quite a bit, the savings in insurance, hotels...blah, blah, blah....makes is worth it.

Anyway, here I go again with my OCD showing itself again! Ha.Ha. :D

I know whatever you decide, like us, you will have a wonderful time. After all, we are cruising to the Panama Canal!! YIPPEE!!

Smiles,Connie

Very helpful....but.....still confusing :confused:

"Completely covered or probably greater than 50%" HELP!! Ha, Ha.!! The photo shows the balcony is about 50% covered which is only about 2' in the bump out area - the "covered description is incorrect. Many of the "cover" balconies on the Coral would not "feel" covered as on the Grand class ships IMHO.

I guess even it is greater than 50% coverage....that is still not enough coverage when a balcony is only 3'11" wide. I guess that means at best maybe 2' or so would be covered? That would not be a problem if it were a standard balcony at 6'7" .....then at least you could still sit outside and be protected from sun or rain.

I have to thank you again IECalCruiser for taking the time to email your friend. Tom is not my friend, just another helpful CC'er.

I guess I better stick with my plan of attack and stay with the B504 room that I currently have on hold! It is still an AA category but it is on the Baja deck mid ship bump out but the end cabin towards the stern. We figured we can look back at where we have been and say our goodbyes! Ha.Ha. We also thought maybe it would have more protection from the wind. If it were my choice I would go with an AB aft on Caribe or an AC aft on Dolphin as they have regular mini-suite balconies and are cheaper. We had an aft Dolphin deck cabin on our Panama Canal cruise and thoroughly enjoyed the room.

I wish all of life's decisions were this hard (or maybe I should say "this fun")

:D

Connie

Just goes to show how difficult it is to choose an Coral/Island balcony.

Pat....I hope I am not overstepping my bounds here...but:

If you research the cost of your cruise the BA category ( which I assume you have booked being that you wanted Caribe and mid ship ).....is $250 less per person than the AD cat mini suite. But...here is the kicker,

If you have an American Express Platinum Card then one of the members benefits is a complimentary 2 category upgrade within the same category!

And.....if you really wanted to jump up you would pay the same price to go from an AD to an AB OR even better from an AC to an AA...and the AD, AC price is the same. So, the AA would be available too if you chose to book that instead.

Also another Cruise Privilege Program Benefit is along with the 2 category upgrade you get a free bottle of champagne and dinner for two at Sabatinis

(the first night on the cruise only)

We took advantage of this offer. You guys who live in the U.S. get even better benefits than us Canadians. For us, because we travel quite a bit, the savings in insurance, hotels...blah, blah, blah....makes is worth it.

Anyway, here I go again with my OCD showing itself again! Ha.Ha. :D

I know whatever you decide, like us, you will have a wonderful time. After all, we are cruising to the Panama Canal!! YIPPEE!!

Smiles,Connie

Well--stupid me on this. I looked at the AA minis, all were on the bump out corners--now I realize that the AB minis on the Dolphin deck are what we really want. Guess I will be calling our travel agent tomorrow. This would be our third change from South America (decided 8 days at sea without a guarantee landing at Falkland was too much), to panama canal, aa, to ba, to possibly ab.

I will also check out the American Express offer.

Thank you so much for all the info--I am usually better prepared than this--but too busy thinking about my trip to Paris in June!

Well--stupid me on this. I looked at the AA minis, all were on the bump out corners--now I realize that the AB minis on the Dolphin deck are what we really want. Guess I will be calling our travel agent tomorrow. This would be our third change from South America (decided 8 days at sea without a guarantee landing at Falkland was too much), to panama canal, aa, to ba, to possibly ab.

I will also check out the American Express offer.

Thank you so much for all the info--I am usually better prepared than this--but too busy thinking about my trip to Paris in June!

Pat, you are so welcome! :D My gosh, you have a busy travel schedule.

You if anyone should be using the Platinum Amex Benefits!!

Remember Pat that the only mid ship mini suites on Dolphin that have covered balconies are Cabins D416, D504, D417 and D503. Otherwise there are 18 covered balcony mini suites at the aft of the ship on Dolphin Deck.

Still has more motion than the mid ship but definitely less than forward ship.

Have fun in Paris.....I am so jealous. Paris is beautiful and has so many things to do and see.

Smiles,Connie

As I understand it, its not too bad except when you open the balcony door while underway, at which time all loose items in the cabin need to be secured. I like the forward looking viewpoint for our canal day so we'll see how it goes!

Yep....that is why we decided on B504. The wind hits the front of the bump out and goes around the remaining outsides of the balcony. The partition also protects from the incoming wind created by the ship moving forward.

504jpgw300h365.jpg

Smiles,Connie

As I understand it, its not too bad except when you open the balcony door while underway, at which time all loose items in the cabin need to be secured. I like the forward looking viewpoint for our canal day so we'll see how it goes!

Yes, we would prefer to be on the balcony and facing the direction the ship is moving, but we will have to be happy watching where we have been and let where we are going be a suprise! Ha,Ha!!

Yes, we noticed that a huge wind tunnel is created when you open the balcony door and the stateroom door at the same time! I was not aware of the wind being a problem when you open just the balcony door? It must be something that happens just in the bump out cabins.....or is it just the front cabins of the bump outs?

Smiles, Connie

Archived