Disability issues on the Dream

nausetms

DH and I were on the 2/3/11 Dream cruise to the Bahamas. First time cruise for DH. First time for me with accessibility issues. We chose Disney because Disney is known for sensitivity to accessibility issues. DH uses a scooter (ECV) - a GoGo. We had an accessible family cabin with veranda on deck 8. The cabin was great - lots of room for the scooter, ramps into the head and the veranda. Tons of grab bars. The shower design was fabulous. The only issue was that there's only one place to plug the scooter in and that was across the room from the bed, so DH had to walk from scooter to bed. Not a deal breaker, but difficult.

Dinner the first night was in the Royal Palace. There are steps up to entrance. DH went to guest services to inquire how to get in. Guest services had to call someone else to find out. Guest services then showed DH to an unmarked side door, opened it, and said that that was the handicapped entrance to the restaurant. So we waited and when the main entrance was opened for seating we opened the unmarked door to which we had been shown. NOPE! It was a crew only office and the door we opened was a fire door. We were then shown to the real handicapped entrance farther down the hall where 200 people were lined up to go in and were being denied entrance because they were not handicapped. Signage needs to be improved.

So as we were being shown to our table, the waiter went up a step???? I said, Huh? And he said, can't he drive up the step? We then found another way to get to the table.

Lovely dinner. The scooter could be parked near the table. No problem.

The show in the Disney theater was fine - lots of handicapped seating in the back - all with an obstructed view.

Nassau - DH had hired a handicapped van to take us around the island. When we tried to leave the ship, we were told that the ramp could not be fully extended and that there would be a step at the top so it would be a "little bumpy" going down. The reason given was that the tide was high. DH was asked if he could walk. He said he'd try it if someone could carry the scooter down the steps. I explained that we could take it apart into pieces that even I could carry if necessary. Instead a crew member tried to push it down the ramp with the stair at the top because " I don't want to get my whites dirty" I intervened, took it apart and got it down the ramp.

There was no problem getting back to the ship. Apparently the tide was low enough to extend the ramp.

The next day trying to get off at Castaway Cay was a hoot. No one knew where to exit the ship. In Nassau it was Deck 2. So we got off at Deck 2. We were told that we had to go to Deck 1 and were directed to the stairs. When we explained that we couldn't use the stairs we were told that we had to go to the aft elevator. We were told to access the aft elevator through the Enchanted Garden. We tried to do that and the Enchanted Garden people said that was wrong and showed us a corrider to use to get to the aft elevator. We started down that corridor and were turned back by a cabin attendant who said no we had to go to Deck 4 and then to the aft elevator and then down to Deck 1. By then we were frustrated and took the midships elevator down to deck 1 and the normal escape route. There we were turned back by the crew helping people disembark. BUT - when I started to cry in frustration - and mind you we now had several handicapped people in wheelchairs following us - a very nice crew member accompanied us up to Deck 4 through the District, down the aft elevator to Deck 1, through crew areas and out through the crew exit which HAS A RAMP!!!! and probably did in Nassau as well. Oh, by the way. We stopped at guest services on Deck 3 in the midst of this drama to ask them how to exit the ship and they got it wrong, too, not realizing that the person asking for directions couldn't take the stairs.

Once on Castaway Cay we were fine. Nothing at Serenty Bay was accessible without using a beach wheelchair. The trams can accommodate the scooter.

The passageways on the Dream are wide enough to get by the housekeeping carts. Getting on the elevators was difficult during peak times, but we learned to take the elevators in the opposite direction from the crowd and them turn around and go in the other direction. For example, if we wanted to go from Deck 4 to Deck 11, we'd go down to 1 and then up.

While on the whole Disney does a good job with handicapped accessibility, improved signage, and sensitivity training for the staff would make the experience less fraught. This was a trial cruise for us hoping that we could cruise to Alaska. I doubt that going to happen given the difficulties with exiting the ship we encountered on this trip.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I think you should still try the Alaska cruise...I've been reading posts that a lot of the crew on the Dream are new, so maybe that is why no one really knew a whole lot. Still, that is no excuse for the lack of sensitivity. My mom is on 24 hour oxygen which makes it a little tricky to get around, although not quite as difficult as a scooter or wheelchair would be. We've found in our past cruises, some guests are more insensitive: (You know, when everyone is waiting for an elevator and it's like a mob scene getting pushed out of the way.)

BTW...I was going to post this, but maybe you can answer: Is there some type of special embarkation on DCL for people with disabilities? (Sometimes it's hard for my mom to wait in a long line with the oxygen tank.) We've been on Carnival, NCL and RCCL and they all have priority embarkation for guests with special needs. It is nice not to worry about that part.

Thanks for your encouragement re: Alaska cruise.

There was no priority embarkation for HC people at the Port Canaveral cruise terminal.

There was, however, someone stationed at the midship elevators as we boarded to make sure that getting on the elevators was orderly. As we disembarked, someone was doing the same at the terminal elevator.

Disney does waive the parking garage fee for people with HC placards.

It may be that the Disney Dream crew was unseasoned. DH had a problem both mornings when he went to breakfast by himself. It is impossible for him to drive the scooter and manage a tray at a buffet. Eventually, on both mornings, he was able to find a crew member to assist.

still do the alaskan cruise! I wouldn't let this one experiance ruin that. I did Alaska last year and loved it! I'm a fulltime wheelchair user and did my Alaska trip with NCL and had no issues accessible wise. Everytime a crew member saw me in food line they rushed over to grab my plate and help. Only issue was food was not very good

Disney does waive the parking garage fee for people with HC placards.

Before too many folks get excited (like I did when I read this), the above is not exactly accurate.

The parking garage and open lots are operated by the Canaveral Port Authority, not by Disney. Their website shows the following:

Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:

1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or

2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

Just having a handicapped hangtag or license plates will not exempt you from the parking fees. The vehicle must have the special features listed, or you must hold the exemption permit - information here.

above is true as mentioned. we paid port canaveral lot fees $15 daily. we have california issued disabled plaque. attendant explained florida has exempt tag only after vehicle is applied and registered with florida ... no problem.. disabled plaques mostly get closer parking in lots and free from coin operated meters but lot fees still apply. ..fyi

Sorry about the misinformation re: parking. I did not understand the policy, only that we were exempted from the fee.

Not a problem at all; it just got my curiosity up because we have H/C hangtags and have had to pay every time. Judging from the fact that your DH has a scooter, I'm guessing your vehicle is equipped with a ramp or a rear rack for transporting it, thus making you eligible for the free parking.

I sent my original post with additional comments to DCL and received, today, what I (and my DH) felt was an appropriate apology along with a commitment that the Disney organization would continue to work to improve the experience of travelers with disabilities.

The letter also suggested that the design of the Wonder will make cruising Alaska easier for the disabled. Thoughts?

;)

still do the alaskan cruise! I wouldn't let this one experiance ruin that. I did Alaska last year and loved it! I'm a fulltime wheelchair user and did my Alaska trip with NCL and had no issues accessible wise. Everytime a crew member saw me in food line they rushed over to grab my plate and help. Only issue was food was not very good

My dad is mobility impaired - not quite enough to require a HC cabin, though. He uses a rolling walker. (He can walk moderate distances okay, but can't do stairs and needs help standing.) He and Mom just returned from B2B cruises on the Carnival Dream (Western Caribbean) followed by the NCL Star (Panama Canal.) These were their 7th and 8th cruises. They really felt that NCL did a great job accomodating Dad.

He had the same experience as you at the buffet; the crew were a great help in carrying Dad's food for him. (I also experienced this service 2 years ago when I was aboard NCL in a wheelchair due to an injury.) Mom was also pleased with the availability of tables reserved for those with wheelchairs. (Dad's rollator has a seat that he uses. It's taller, so he can stand up from it on his own.) They also appreciated the reserved seating in the theater. Dad needs to have his bed a little higher in order to get out on his own. His room steward topped his bed with a second matress and it worked out fine. They really felt that the NCL crew went the extra mile to take care of them and make them feel welcomed.

Perhaps the OP can try cruising on NCL. They do seem to be HC-friendly. We're all going to Alaska in July aboard Princess. I just hope they come close to NCL in this regard.

I am sorry that you ran into so many issues with the Dream. We have cruised the Magic 2x and the Wonder 1 time. We are currently booked on the Wonder for an Alaskan cruise this August. My Mom uses a wheelchair for boarding, excursions and disembarkation (sometimes on board) because she has balance and stamina issues. We have not encountered any problems when she uses it. In fact on embarkation day when we were tying to get an elevator, people kept going in front of us and we couldnt get in, waited for about 15 mins. out of the blue a crew member came, said he saw we had been waiting and that people werent letting us on. He did something, got us an elevator, stood there to let us in first and said have a nice cruise. I hope you think about giving the Alaskan cruise a try.

Archived