Booze prices exorbitant

Boatingmom

you lose it. And that price might not include gratuity either.

Can you explain how this works? I thought a drink coupon, you bought from CCL and it was like having a prepaid drink. Or is it a set amount and you would pay the difference if the drink was more expensive or lose the money left if the drink less expensive?

Can you explain how this works? I thought a drink coupon, you bought from CCL and it was like having a prepaid drink. Or is it a set amount and you would pay the difference if the drink was more expensive or lose the money left if the drink less expensive?

You pay (or lose) the difference. It is a coupon, so it reduces the cost of the drink by the amount of the coupon. It would not be fair or good business practice to let customers pre-purchase coupons for $5.50 to receive drinks valued at $10 without paying the difference. Then everyone would be doing it and Carnival would be out a large amount of revenues. Alcohol sales are their bread and butter.

I would love to see these coupons eliminated in favor of another method. They just cause too much confusion and bartenders and servers receive a lower tip when coupons are used.

this is why I'm just going to do fun ship dollars and buy them each pay period. And bon voyage. some friends bought me coupons and they were great but wtih the price changes since that cruise, it's just easier to pre-pay for some OBC to the S&S account :-)

You pay (or lose) the difference. It is a coupon, so it reduces the cost of the drink by the amount of the coupon. It would not be fair or good business practice to let customers pre-purchase coupons for $5.50 to receive drinks valued at $10 without paying the difference. Then everyone would be doing it and Carnival would be out a large amount of revenues. Alcohol sales are their bread and butter.

I would love to see these coupons eliminated in favor of another method. They just cause too much confusion and bartenders and servers receive a lower tip when coupons are used.

Thanks for the clairification. First time using them and the last.....What is the benefit ?Especially if you lose money? Carnvial charges you the difference if their price is greater yet takes your money if your drink price is lower? Sounds Typical !

Charleyann

it's not like you're really losing anything though. Because the beer price is 4.95, right? Add on the mandatory 15% tip and you're close to the value of the coupon. But I agree, I think the coupons are not the way for me to go...

Why eliminate them..........they were never implemented to save money.....they are in the "gift" section......the same as funship dollars.......really no confusion at all.....

Soda is soda water or seltzer when bartending....It is clear and unflavored where as Coke/Pepsi/Cola is flavored and brown...If you are going give a recipe at least give the proper ingredients....:p:rolleyes:

A lot of older people from the Northern part of the U.S. refer to cokes, pepsis, etc. as "sodas", which is short for "soda pop" Similarly, a lot of people from the South refer to those same beverages, regardless of brand name, as "cokes". Any bartender, though, knows that "soda" as a component in a drink is exactly as you, dear Jeffie, have described it. :D

Oh sister (brother?) you read WAY too much into that!! I am talking about what people are saying they pay for a drink in a local bar in the various cities. I was not talking about cruising at all. I don't associate "the bar scene" with cruising, more, "going out and partying" while on land, i.e. "What are we doing tonight?" "We're going out partying, what else?" And it's just me, I could care less if someone wants to drink til they're 90, I just happened to outgrow the need to "party" to have a good time. Doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

You did it again, Little Missy. :rolleyes::D Your boast that you have "outgrown the need to 'party' " strongly implies that those who haven't :"outgrown" having a good time with friends are immature and have yet failed to reach the level of maturation that you, in all your exalted self-absorbed glory, have attained.

And, once again, you are wrong. I was pointing out why a lot of people tend to "party" more on a cruise ship than they might at home. And since "cruising" is what CC is all about, it seemed appropriate to mention it in a cruising context.

Many of us who love to "party" never get drunk, never have headaches or hangovers, and are extremely mature members of society. And the phrase "partying" refers to a state of mind and doesn't necessarily have to include alcohol. You should not try to force your generalized biases upon other people. Especially when your generalized biases are inaccurate. :D

I guess I don't understand why it would reduce the tip? Isn't the 15% tip based on the price of the drink, not the drink after the coupon is taken off?

I know this is changing the subject, maybe I should start a new thread (or I am sure some are going to say do a search); I don't want to because the discussion has started on this thread and I am too lazy:rolleyes:

What is the difference between drink coupons and funship dollars? How and when can you do a prepay to the S&S?

What is the difference between drink coupons and funship dollars? How and when can you do a prepay to the S&S?

Fun ship dollars can be purchased in $25 increments (I think) and can be used for anything you use your S&S card for. Drink coupons only allow you to use them for drinks.

Someone else will have to answer on specifically how you get fun ship dollars because I haven't done it but I plan to do so for my next cruise.

I guess I don't understand why it would reduce the tip? Isn't the 15% tip based on the price of the drink, not the drink after the coupon is taken off?

No, the 15% gratuity is based on the price of the drink after the coupon is applied.

For example, with no bar coupon, a classic cocktail is $8.75, add 15% gratuity of $1.32, for a total of $10.07. With a bar coupon, the classic cocktail is $3.25 ($8.75 less $5.50 credit), 15% gratuity of $0.49, for a total of $3.74.

Only reason I know this is because I started a thread after using bar coupons during my first cruise last year. I got a weird vibe from the servers when I would present one. I knew from my receipts that the gratuity was calculated after the coupon was applied. I questioned if the bartenders receive a smaller gratuity when a coupon is used versus no coupon. They do receive a much smaller gratuity when a coupon is used.

Fun ship dollars can be purchased in $25 increments (I think) and can be used for anything you use your S&S card for. Drink coupons only allow you to use them for drinks.

Someone else will have to answer on specifically how you get fun ship dollars because I haven't done it but I plan to do so for my next cruise.

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=giftcertificates&pid=FSD

You can buy them online, but the easiest way to order them and have them immediately applied as OBC is to call & order them & tell them that you want it applied as on board credit. From their website:

"Our knowledgeable Fun Ship Dollar representatives are available to answer your questions about our products, help you make a selection, and take your credit card order. You can reach our Special Programs and Promotions department by telephone; toll free, at 1-800-906-7603 during the following hours:

Monday - Saturday 8:00am - 8:30pm, Eastern Time

Phone orders are accepted up to one week prior to sailing. Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network and American Express accepted."

That makes absolutely no sense. :rolleyes:

Of course it does. Soda refers to many things' date=' not just soda water. :rolleyes:

and, according to your "logic", that would be no more expensive than a Scotch and water or a Scotch and soda. :rolleyes:

Not my logic - someone else said the mix was included in the price. :p:rolleyes:

No, the 15% gratuity is based on the price of the drink after the coupon is applied.

For example, with no bar coupon, a classic cocktail is $8.75, add 15% gratuity of $1.32, for a total of $10.07. With a bar coupon, the classic cocktail is $3.25 ($8.75 less $5.50 credit), 15% gratuity of $0.49, for a total of $3.74.

Only reason I know this is because I started a thread after using bar coupons during my first cruise last year. I got a weird vibe from the servers when I would present one. I knew from my receipts that the gratuity was calculated after the coupon was applied. I questioned if the bartenders receive a smaller gratuity when a coupon is used versus no coupon. They do receive a much smaller gratuity when a coupon is used.

That's too bad. I won't be using the coupons then (or if I get some, I will make sure to make up the tip). I don't tip above the 15%, until I find a specific bartender/server, but I do believe they (the majority at least) should get the 15%.

Hate to see them shorted.

Just got back from Valor cruise 1/16-1/23. Alchol was outragoeuos! A bucket of beer (which is 4) was $22.00.

Classic cocktails: $8.25 (mai tai, margarita, mojitos, sex on beach)

Capt and coke: $9.00

Drink of day $7.50

plus 15% grats on each one of those!

Capt and coke was $9.00? I assume that was for a double/large glass type drink (14-16 ozs.)?

When you go out to a restaurant on L.I. don't you paid about the same price or more?

Seriously!

Just got off a cruise, spent one day post cruise in Miami and WISHED I was back on the ship, paying ship prices for drinks.

Archived