cave tubing with major tom

jaspup

I loved being able to use this board before our trip. I wanted to post that using Major Tom for our cave tubing experience was AWFUL!

I was really dissappointed because lots of people had said that they liked him.

3 main things made it terrible:

1. The guide told my 9 year old DD not to let her butt touch the water because fish would bite her. She got so freaked out about it that she barely would do the tour at all. We had to try to hitch her around the tube so her body wouldn't touch the water. Ridiculous. The tour guide said later he was kidding.......NOT FUNNY.

2. When we were all hooked up legs-under-arms style as is common for cave tubing, instead of putting my children in front of my husband and I and linking up, they made us hold them on our side!!! Really? I can't begin to describe how enormously sore we were having to hold on to their tube with one arm THE ENTIRE TRIP.

We absolutely hated this trip with a passion.

3. When we got off the ship, Major Tom was nowhere in sight. Finally someone else asked us (we were looking lost) and he called Tom who was still back at his office. We waited all alone at some vacant outdoor bar area that had picnic tables for 30 minutes waiting for him to come. He was NOT standing with a sign as his email to us stated.

Altogether an unprofessional day with cavetubing.net.

DON'T USE THIS COMPANY.

As it happens.. Someone I know was on that little run and his description of events is not at all the same as yours.

He described a rather unpleasant individual who seemed to think he was better than the guides and was "bullying" towards them. Hmm....

Those little details put your tale in a bit of doubt.

In truth you should have had sense enough to tell that the guide was kidding about the fish from the word go.

Secondly, nobody does that side to side thing as it would make it nearly impossible for the guides to maneuver the "tube trains".

As for Tom not being around, his son or one of the other guides was surely there somewhere. Always hang out near the tender docks, because that's where they'll be.

I have traveled with Tom and crew before (and will again) and what you describe is nowhere near the way they roll.

So politely, I will disagree with you and quite cheerfully continue to "use this company."

This will be my only comment on this thread.

We had our family cruise on the Carnival Valor in January, with 37 of us using Major and Minor Tom tours.

25 did the zip lines, it was a great time. a little more work than I thought. But now I can cross this off my Bucket List.

31 Did the cave tubing this was our second time, the water was a little low, however it was still wonderful. Great Guides, it was a nice time in the river.

6 went to the Mayan ruins. Very knowledgeable guides about the ruins, the flora, and animals and birds. It was a fabulous day.

I would Highly Recommend Major Tom and Minor Tom for the tours in Belize.

Plus they got us back to the cruise ship terminal in time to get the ferry to the ship.

GREAT JOB Thanks

I knew that a lot of people liked this vendor. And maybe he was having an off day. But, we DID have some issues and just wanted to tell my story as well.

By the way, when I went on this tour, it was only my family and another couple (friends of ours) that went together. So, your buddy wasn't in our group. I am glad he had a good time.

Major Tom was called by another vendor that WAS standing right at the pier. This vendor looked around for us to see if we were just not seeing him. That is why he called Tom. Tom wasn't there and told the vendor to let us know he would be there shortly (which was about 30 minutes later).

Overall, Major Tom and his crew just unfortunately didn't take care of our little group the way he must usually do for many others. I hope that if these companies look at these forums occasionally it keeps their customer service high. Hoping he learns from some constructive criticism.

I knew that a lot of people liked this vendor. And maybe he was having an off day. But, we DID have some issues and just wanted to tell my story as well.

By the way, when I went on this tour, it was only my family and another couple (friends of ours) that went together. So, your buddy wasn't in our group. I am glad he had a good time.

Major Tom was called by another vendor that WAS standing right at the pier. This vendor looked around for us to see if we were just not seeing him. That is why he called Tom. Tom wasn't there and told the vendor to let us know he would be there shortly (which was about 30 minutes later).

Overall, Major Tom and his crew just unfortunately didn't take care of our little group the way he must usually do for many others. I hope that if these companies look at these forums occasionally it keeps their customer service high. Hoping he learns from some constructive criticism.

Perhaps his "buddy" was one of the guides. ;)

Boy, I am so glad I did not read your comments before visiting Belize. It is very unfortunate you had such a TERRIBLE time with Major Tom. As for me and my family, we loved it. We took this tour in June 2010 and my kids are still talking about it. My daughter asked me last month is there anywhere else we can try cave tubing because she enjoyed it very much. We were greeted by Major Tom's son and two other workers and we always felt safe with them. I will definitely use him as a vendor again.

I did NOT use Major Tom on my cave-tubing tour, but I will mention that my experiences were similar to the OPs, but we had an enjoyable time.

My 4 year old was told by our operator about the fish "kisses", but understood it was a joke after reassuring her (and we all did get a nice chuckle out of her reaction)... on the same line of thinking, my 6 year old was disappointed he did not get a butt massage when he failed to move his behind when "Butts UP!" was called out.

When we tubed together, the children were strapped next to us in a group no more than 8 people... I don't think they would have appreciated an adult's feet under their arms for the ride. Our operator linked our tubes together with extra life jackets, so we really didn't have to hold onto our kids' tubes.

As far as I remember, I don't think the Belize gov't allows tube trains to exceed 8 people (ever since the fatal accident back in 2008(9?)

I also think all the tour operators must use the same jokes... from what I've read here in CruiseCritic.

We really enjoyed our cave-tubing adventure. I've mentioned our operator here several times, but I've also read excellent reviews of Major Tom's outfit. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience... but I can share pictures from ours!

11434_1246172883599_1507726387_30674460_1230704_n.jpg

11434_1246172923600_1507726387_30674461_7683952_n.jpg

As it happens.. Someone I know was on that little run and his description of events is not at all the same as yours.

He described a rather unpleasant individual who seemed to think he was better than the guides and was "bullying" towards them. Hmm....

Those little details put your tale in a bit of doubt.

In truth you should have had sense enough to tell that the guide was kidding about the fish from the word go.

Secondly, nobody does that side to side thing as it would make it nearly impossible for the guides to maneuver the "tube trains".

As for Tom not being around, his son or one of the other guides was surely there somewhere. Always hang out near the tender docks, because that's where they'll be.

I have traveled with Tom and crew before (and will again) and what you describe is nowhere near the way they roll.

So politely, I will disagree with you and quite cheerfully continue to "use this company."

This will be my only comment on this thread.

We have been with Major Tom 3 times and had great experiences. That being said, the last time we visited Belize he never showed up at the dock at all and we had to use someone else. I spoke to him afterward and he told me it was because of the time change. (Strange how the other tour guides managed to show up on time.) The time before that we took our 10-year-old grandson and yes, he was to our side and not part of the 'train'. It is very awkward and does hurt your arm. I also feel that it is more dangerous done that way than if he were a part of the 'train'. He did have a good time and we will probably use Major Tom again when we return to Belize in September.

I understand your position. A few years back I used a very popular tour company in Calica who "had a bad day". Our group had a great day due to all of the activities we had planned, but the service and attitude was nothing like what others had reported as their experience. I didn't come on CruiseCritic and say "Dont use this guide",;) but I did share our experience.

Before someone blames us, we were a group of 7 that had fun all day amongst ourselves, so we were not exactly sending out negative vibes. If Major Tom has a pattern of not showing up, I'd like to know, I have him booked in 2 weeks and I've talked several from our RollCall into joining in. If he doesnt show on time we'll just take the water taxi to Caye Caulker, then share our experience here. :)

Yeah. I guess I may have been harsh saying "never use them again". I was frustrated over a bad experience.

Having read a bunch of reviews of his operation, he obviously does well the majority of the time.

Having used TripAdvisor many, many times in the past, I know that occasionally someone would end up with a bad experience with a hotel or something that 50 other people had given a big thumbs up to.

I guess I was just venting over an unfortunate "bad day".

Plus, assuming that the vendors may occasionally review the boards, perhaps a bad experience from one or two people keeps them sharp and ever improving.

One of the posters said that they were told about "fish kisses" or "butt massages"!! :) Cute. Our guide had called the fish "pirhannas" that would bite their butt. :eek: So, that might be something that different cave tubing vendors may take note on.

Well, thanks for listening. And Happy Cruising Everyone!:D

we were unable to make the trip that we had a deposit put on because of health challenges. Our deposit was refunded-- in full.. a pleasant surprise. Major and Minor Tom took the time to answer a bunch of tour questions prior to us booking the trip and then gave us a full refund. That shows integrity :)

I had to miss the trip planned with Major Tom in January due to ship not docking and it was one of the things I most looked forward to.

I have left several Emails about a refund from him starting from the ship shortly after being told we were not going to Belize and have yet to hear back. Before the trip I had great communication from his company but now nothing. For such a highly rated company it is disapointing.

I had to miss the trip planned with Major Tom in January due to ship not docking and it was one of the things I most looked forward to.

I have left several Emails about a refund from him starting from the ship shortly after being told we were not going to Belize and have yet to hear back. Before the trip I had great communication from his company but now nothing. For such a highly rated company it is disapointing.

Did you put down the 10% deposit, or did you pay him in full in advance? (..and yeah, I'm with you and would at least appreciate an acknowlegement of my refund request. )

His website says:

What about refunds if the ship changes course, itinerary, or simply does not sail? What about refunds if weather cancels the trip?

We offer our guests three flexible payment options: prepay, prepay 10% or pay while in Belize. Should your ship or Mother Nature postpone your trip, we fully refund the cost of your trip through the U.S based PayPal system within the typical two month period, no problem. (After 60 days of your reservation date we still fully refund you minus PayPal's .03%) We hope you will be able to enjoy the tour soon

Sorry to say but they don't have just one bad day. Our experience was a mixed bag to tricks. Entertaining on the way out, oh yes and did find someone easily in port. Trekking through the jungle wasn't bad except the accepted very young children an infant and a man with two artificial legs and did go too fast for them. Now the tubing was okay until the shallow water and I think our guide was inexperienced an several of us "displaced" too much water and I really almost got hurt by a foot in the middle of my chest and having to get up on slippery rock. Truck inner tubes sink in too far and you can get stuck even if you don't weigh that much the yellow tubes other companies use dont. Also could not hear our guide in the caves, was never told when or where to get lunch didn't eat a cold unappealing lunch and they partied in the front of the bus on the way back including stopping to buy one group a box of beer and I think one of the guides drank one. So needless to say major tom needs to watch his associates he wasn't at the tubing and seems to try to run a tight ship. I wouldn't use them again and several others who got left in the cave also agreed. We were on the NCL pearl sailing and were there I think feb 2nd.

Sorry to say but they don't have just one bad day. Our experience was a mixed bag to tricks. Entertaining on the way out, oh yes and did find someone easily in port. Trekking through the jungle wasn't bad except the accepted very young children an infant and a man with two artificial legs and did go too fast for them. Now the tubing was okay until the shallow water and I think our guide was inexperienced an several of us "displaced" too much water and I really almost got hurt by a foot in the middle of my chest and having to get up on slippery rock. Truck inner tubes sink in too far and you can get stuck even if you don't weigh that much the yellow tubes other companies use dont. Also could not hear our guide in the caves, was never told when or where to get lunch didn't eat a cold unappealing lunch and they partied in the front of the bus on the way back including stopping to buy one group a box of beer and I think one of the guides drank one. So needless to say major tom needs to watch his associates he wasn't at the tubing and seems to try to run a tight ship. I wouldn't use them again and several others who got left in the cave also agreed. We were on the NCL pearl sailing and were there I think feb 2nd.

Thanks for that report, and as long as the driver wasn't partying, I would've enjoyed at least that aspect. I'll be there in few days to experience it myself. :)

• 2 years later...

Used Major Tom's tour for Cave Tubing and Zipline Feb. 2013.

WONDERFUL TIME!

We had a little hang up as Major Tom had a van problem but it was never an issue. Two of his terrific employees drove us out to town where we were introduced to Major Tom and then we continued on to the tubing and Zip line area. Major Tom assured me we would be back in time for the ship to sail. We beat all the crowds, only 4 others on our tubing trip. Our guide was so nice, intelligent, funny and Strong! Even saw and heard a howler monkey! After tubing and zipline Major Tom treated us a wonderful lunch. My son and I have wonderful memories to last forever. ( I even double tipped them as I was so impressed) We definitely recommend Major Tom! :)

• 3 months later...

My wife and I went tubing in 2008 with Major Tom and had such a great time that we came back last week (July 2013) with our teenage sons. But - I misread the docking time in Belize and got off the cruise ship two hours later than I should have. Having to tender only added to the time delay. I thought for sure that my oversight was going to turn this shore excursion into a disaster. We hoped for the best and went ashore anyway. Once on land we began looking among the numerous tour guides for a Major Tom sign. It didn't take us long to see one of Major Tom's sons holding up a sign. As we approached (and my heart started to beat again) he greeted me by name and after my multiple apologies said that everything was fine and he'd take us to his older brother Minor Tom who would take us to the river. I later learned that Major/Minor Tom will wait until the last tender has arrived to make sure that nobody misses out on their cave tubing shore excursion (Something that the cruise line would never do). After that it was all smooth sailing (or should I say tubing!). Minor Tom was our private tour guide and did a fantastic job describing Belize and our boys really enjoyed talking with him. Once at the river he had us wait until the mega-tubing groups passed so that we weren't jammed together. He told us all about the cave history and steered us all the way through the lazy twists and turns. Once out of the river we had time to shop. On the way back to the ship we ate and relaxed. Minor Tom even stopped at a stand selling mangos which everyone ate and really enjoyed. We arrived at the dock/tender with plenty of time to spare. What I thought was going to be a complete disaster because of my mistake turned out to be a better shore excursion than we could have hoped for. Thank you Minor Tom for all that you did for us. You really saved us (me!). For you folks contemplating a Belize cave tubing excursion and are unsure if you should go off the beaten path and go with a non-cruise tour take it from me, a repeat customer to Major Tom's cave tubing - not only will you be safe and get to and from on time but you'll have a great time from beginning to end!

Archived