Chanakaab or Dzul Ha

CoffeeMed

We have a group of 6. 3 are bringing snokel equipment and 3 just want to float in the water and lie on the beach. Which beach would be better for all of us. We also want the best snokeling we can get, but go on our own. Has anybody been to both that can give a recomendation. I'm personally leaning towards Dzul Ha, if so is there anything to do within walking distance. (E.g. shopping, bike ride, kayaks, etc.)

I agree with Sally. There don't appear to be much for non-snorkelers near Dzul Ha. It isn't that Chankanaab snorkeling is bad and there is lots to do besides snorkel there, but the admission charge is $12 per adult, so unless I was going to spend most of the day there, I'd go to Dzul Ha for snorkeling first, then to a beach club for lunch and such. Which beach club would depend on who made up the group. With kids I'd go to PB or Mr. Sancho's. Without kids, Playa Palancar or maybe Nachi Cocom.

How does one get to Dzul Ha, and then to Chankanaab Park? We are scheduled for a dolphin swim at the park at 3:00, but would like some good snorkeling, too. I thought it was supposed to be good IN the park. Is that not so?

We had a great time snorkeling at Chankanaab; saw lots of fish; the water was very clear.

Where did you snorkel? That is what I would prefer - staying in one place. I think all we need to do is see fish (not sand), and we'll both be happy.

We snorkeled in the "snorkeling area". It is in front of the long, sandy "beach" where the lounges/palapas are. You can't miss it. You enter and exit the water using rock steps. All ages were able to do this; unless it's REALLY choppy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Chankanaab is really beautiful. We didn't do the dolphin swim/encounter and still had a full day there. We snorkeled, relaxed, walked through the nature trail/replica mayan ruins, played mini-golf (small course, but fun for kids). The bathrooms were clean and there were no vendors on the beach to bother you.

Since you are going there for the dolphin swim, I would recommend spending the day there. It's peaceful and relaxing.

At Chakanaab, it's all very easy to get to. If you walk in the entrance, follow the path and go straight (middle) when the path forks three-ways (about 100 yards from the entrance). This will take you right up to Dolphin Discovery. If you go left in front of Dolphin Discovery, you will go down a path that will open up with the kids lagoon immediately on your right (just past DD). On the far side of the little lagoon beach is La Laguna restaurant. On the other side of La Laguna is the long stretch of beach where you'll find the booths to rent snorkeling and other equipment and also the steps down into the water to snorkel. With the beach on your right, the Chakanaab lagoon will be on your left. Just past the lagoon (and a bar) is the miniature golf course, then some changing rooms and showers (the lockers are actually back in front of DD).

Note, if you come in and turn left at the three-way fork, then you will go right onto the path that goes between the beach and Chakanaab lagoon. Everything is easy walking distance and convenient. We did the dolphin swim in the late morning, ate at La Laguna then spent time on the beach. DW took a nap on the beach while I walked around the restaurant and went snorkeling. A nice full day and we didn't even visit the ruins and the mini-golf course.

Archived