Tradition

Bridge Maven

There is one cruising tradition that I miss and that is when the main dining room was the only place aboard a ship to eat meals. On our very first cruise there wasn't even a buffet, with the exception of the midnight buffet. All three meals were served at our assigned table in the dining room. It appears that when there weren't other options for meals, there was more focus on the quality and service of cuisine that was included in your cruise fare.

I agree although I think the quality and service dropped more as a cost cutting means than because of the other venues. This isn't a popular opinion judging by what I read on the boards, but I prefer the days of old when there were fancy buffets every night and formal night was formal and the dining room meant elegant first class meals. Sure the buffets were a total waste of food and sure I understand the cruise lines had to cut back on expenses and sure I understand that some people prefer it more casual. I get all that. It's not that I like to dress up but I thought that kind of set cruising apart from other types of vacations, making it more of something special.

I enjoy dinner in the dining room, but prefer to have a light breakfast and lunch, so do not want to sit and be waited on to have coffee and a croissant or a small salad. If I ate three sit down meals each day, I would be off loaded as cargo at the end of the cruise.

I remember those days. There was sometimes a special themed lunch buffet by the pool, but the dining room was usually your only choice. But if you were hungry at night, there was always the midnight buffet! :cool:

Does anyone remember when they used to have early/late seating for breakfast and lunch instead of open seating? It wasn't so long ago - I remember it in the late 90s on X. That was nice. You got to know your waitstaff very well and it felt like the dining room was just for you. But considering how empty the dining room was during the seatings, I can see why they got rid of it. :eek:

Don't get me wrong; I love the buffet breakfast and lunch. I just prefer the formality of the dining room for dinner. There's something special on the second evening when a good waiter already knows that I like ice water while my husband likes iced tea. I remember the early/late breakfast and lunch schedules too. I'm still cruising even though things have changed and I realize probably most people prefer it this way; I just miss some of the old traditional things.

Archived