Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

Your a girl after my own heart!

Wow! Dillard's sale...and in today's mail - Talbot's is having a 65% off (70% w/ Talbot's card!). Could be a good day for CCFs:).

I read a short article in Southern Lady magazine about starting a garden - but could easily be a guide for planning outfits.

1. Get all structure in place before starting

CCF: Get all clothes and accessories in one place before starting

2. Incorporate different colors and textures into your garden

CCF: Incorporate different colors and textures into your outfits

3. Key to Success: Maintenance and Upkeep

CCF: Ditto!:cool:

On every cruise I've been on, I find myself people watching and saying:

"Oh that's a cute outfit"

"I wonder where she got that!"

"What awesome shoes!"

It is a fashion show for me. haha

I do the same thing. I love to people watch!

The women who say that they never look at what others wear just don't seem believable.

The women who say that they never look at what others wear just don't seem believable.

Lol....so glad you said this. I have wanted to say this soooo many times to people, but did not want to come off as being rude....but whenever I read someone saying they do not notice what others are wearing, I think to myself, YES YOU DO. Women dress for women. Period.:o

There are several regular posters who spend time on this thread. And every week there are newbies who join the conversation. We are a Sisterhood of CCFs:):cool:.

Thank you Serendipity50, LostAlice, Scrapnana, and islandhopping fool for adding your comments.

We continue to believe that looking our best is a worthwhile priority!

Here's a photo of a Formal Night outfit. Again, the one-shoulder dress. It's black with a bit of dark maroon in the flower and trim. Best part: dress is from TJ Maxx...under $20;).

232323232%7Ffp%3B56%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3A%3C%3A%3A2335nu0mrj

I've talked about the matching tops all 10 of us had. Minneapolis DS designed our family logo and all the tops were embroidered. Here's a photo of the girl tops (from Garnet Hill) and the guy golf shirts (Land's End). We wore them one evening and heard several nice comments.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3A%3C%3A57335nu0mrj

There are several regular posters who spend time on this thread. And every week there are newbies who join the conversation. We are a Sisterhood of CCFs:):cool:.

Thank you Serendipity50, LostAlice, Scrapnana, and islandhopping fool for adding your comments.

Here's a photo of a Formal Night outfit. Again, the one-shoulder dress. It's black with a bit of dark maroon in the flower and trim. Best part: dress is from TJ Maxx...under $20;).

232323232%7Ffp%3B56%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3A%3C%3A%3A2335nu0mrj

I've talked about the matching tops all 10 of us had. Minneapolis DS designed our family logo and all the tops were embroidered. Here's a photo of the girl tops (from Garnet Hill) and the guy golf shirts (Land's End). We wore them one evening and heard several nice comments.

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A%3B%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3A%3C%3A57335nu0mrj

Indiana, I just LOVE that formal night dress. Can't believe you just paid $20 for it. I'm partial to bows and just think this dress is elegant.

And the family shirts are great. High end and low key but still fun! So glad you had a nice time with your family.

Your one shoulder dress is beautiful. I think it is a great style for you. do you have a close up photo of the tee-shirts?

Thanks for all the compliments on my TJ Maxx dress:). I don't have a photo w/ everyone in our Family Shirts that can be posted. We had a professional picture taken but you know how ship photographers are - they don't allow personal cameras:(.

Here's another fun outfit - yellow shorts are from TJ Maxx and the top is an old favorite - at least 15 years old and still Cruise Worthy;). The silver sandals are Naots...I had 4 pairs packed and they were all favorites.

232323232%7Ffp%3B46%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3B39%3B7335nu0mrj

Same outfit...but it's so much fun doing silly poses (while playing Mini Golf w/ grandkids!)

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3B%3A73%3A335nu0mrj

CrabbyQ: The 3 mom tops are from Garnet Hill. The 4 kids T-shirts and 3 dad golf shirts are from Land's End. I was pleased that all the "Cobalt Blue" was the same.

Our DS in Minneapolis designed the Family Logo and our local DS had them all embroidered by the man who does his business logos.

Sadly, it will probably be a year before all 10 of us are together again:(.

Blonde1981

I just went on my smart phone and found an app called Stylish Girl. It is free and it is so cool. I just take a pic with my cell when I'm in the app, it saves and I pick a few details (and I can even use my voice to text to "say" what the designer is,etc. which makes it so super easy"

Debbie

Thanks for this tip. Just downloaded the app. This just might make packing for my Oct. cruise easier and faster. Haven't used it yet but I'm wondering if it might cut down on overbuying too. I have many plain tees for summer and cruise wear but I could use less pink and more of other colors. If I can look at what I have when I'm in the store i might make better selections.:)

Thanks for this tip. Just downloaded the app. This just might make packing for my Oct. cruise easier and faster. Haven't used it yet but I'm wondering if it might cut down on overbuying too. I have many plain tees for summer and cruise wear but I could use less pink and more of other colors. If I can look at what I have when I'm in the store i might make better selections.:)

Smiling Cruiser - I hope it works for you! I was so excited when I found it. It even has a suitcase and after you make up and save your favorite "outfits", you can load them or any other individual pieces into the suitcase. So cool!

Debbie

sunnydaygirl: That style of water shoe is very popular. DH and both sons wore them. So did 1 grandson. Lots of women had them on, too.

The LBD that sparkles AND doesn't wrinkle should be in every CCFs suitcase:):cool:!

I had one outfit that didn't get worn. But - we hadn't decided when to wear our matching Family Cruise tops; and we wore them to dinner when photographers were available. That meant my Talbot's yellow & white skirt will have to wait till the Next Cruise.

Here's a Go To outfit for daytime. I like that everything coordinates: white Coldwater Creek Capris, Talbot's top, Naot sandals and Dooney & B Crossbody. The necklace is vintage - white and silver.

232323232%7Ffp%3B82%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3B3992335nu0mrj

I'm in the center of this photo...Don't know if this dress is all that flattering...I love the one shoulder look and the easy-care knit. The dress has a drawstring belt that apparently didn't get cinched.

This is one of those outfits that IMHO looked better in the Cruise Room mirror. I'll wear it again - but as a cover-up...BTW - it's knee-length.

Opinions please!

232323232%7Ffp%3B99%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D36326%3B39%3A6335nu0mrj

Indiana71-is the dress from Banana Republic? If so I have the same one, that I bought last year for my cruise and never wore. So I will be taking it on my August cruise. I didn't read the whole thread, but it's been a great and fun read. I am definitely a "fashionista" all of my friends want me to shop for them. I just pulled out my suitcase last night and starting throwing stuff in there. But I have been planning and shopping since Feburary, lol.

Edited by crunchy05

So happy you had a great cruise. Can't wait to on day have a family cruise:) Looking forward to planning for Dec. cruise and Jan. Gotta get a lot of Christmas stuff done ahead of time. Love all of your outfits! Keep saying i am gonna upload and always have problems...def gonna try to solve this issue this time!!!

I am also enjoying everyone's outfits. Love the Bob Voyage dress.I agree some short leggings would do the trick...even for this ol gal:)

I have to say that I've read this thread but not completely. Mom and I just booked another cruise. Our first thought was a list of everything that we need to research or get. Our second thought was that we need new clothes for evening! We tend to take lots of pictures at night and we need to change them up :)

Is it too soon to start my day by day packing list? ;)

I have to say that I've read this thread but not completely. Mom and I just booked another cruise. Our first thought was a list of everything that we need to research or get. Our second thought was that we need new clothes for evening! We tend to take lots of pictures at night and we need to change them up :)

Is it too soon to start my day by day packing list? ;)

Never too soom to make your packing list. That is part of the fun of taking a cruise.

crunchy05: Yes, dress is from Banana Republic. I'm going to try it on again - just not satisfied w/ how it looks on me in the photo...It's a happy print, one-shoulder style and easy-care fabric. I don't want to take it out of the Cruise Clothes Rotation!

With all the family activities, there weren't as many Cruise Clothes Photos as I had hoped.

Note to Self: Take photos when trying on outfits at home!

Ehpride: geocruiser took the words out of my mouth: "It's never too early to start a Packing List!";) You make A List thinking it's all done - then a little shopping brings an item (or 2, or 3...) and the list changes. By the time packing begins, The List has morphed several times!

Edited by indiana71

crunchy05: Yes, dress is from Banana Republic. I'm going to try it on again - just not satisfied w/ how it looks on me in the photo...It's a happy print, one-shoulder style and easy-care fabric. I don't want to take it out of the Cruise Clothes Rotation!

With all the family activities, there weren't as many Cruise Clothes Photos as I had hoped.

Note to Self: Take photos when trying on outfits at home!

Ehpride: geocruiser took the words out of my mouth: "It's never too early to start a Packing List!";) You make A List thinking it's all done - then a little shopping brings an item (or 2, or 3...) and the list changes. By the time packing begins, The List has morphed several times!

I think I am a bit taller than you, 5"10- so its not really knee length on me. I think what I loved most was the print. It might work better as a swim cover-up, I was actually debating on that myself. But since I have a million + 1 of those I nixed that idea.

Oh, my list always evolves. Mom and I already devided we need mew formals so that's TBA.

I'm a swimsuit and sundress girl during the day, preferably with a floppy hat :)

And I always dress up at night. Last cruise, we met a woman in an elevator on a casual night who asked us if it was elegant night!

Lol....so glad you said this. I have wanted to say this soooo many times to people, but did not want to come off as being rude....but whenever I read someone saying they do not notice what others are wearing, I think to myself, YES YOU DO. Women dress for women. Period.:o

This perspective is interesting to me. I think those of us who are very visually oriented can't imagine that everyone else is not so, but I have learned that everyone else is not so! You can tell by how some people (OK, well, we're talking about women here) -- by how some women dress that they don't really look at what others wear -- they don't really even look at what they themselves wear! How could they? The clothes they put on prove that they do not really have a clue about how they actually look!

We all know women who consistently wear sloppy, baggy, shapeless, ill-fitting, unflattering or otherwise inappropriate clothing and it is obvious that they are simply covering their bodies with whatever "caught their eye," fit over their heads, and was in the budget. They do not have a sense of "style" -- it is not on their radar -- and may not even own a mirror. They are often perfectly lovely, sweet, friendly, well-meaning people (many are my very best friends!) but they just do not think in the same terms we on this thread do! This does not take away from their value as human beings in the least -- they just don't have this visual bent -- it's not their gift.

Some of these women do look at others, and they do see and appreciate that others look good, but they may not be able to analyze why they look good, and most likely could not (or believe they could not) ever get themselves to look good in the same way as the person they are looking at. They do not have a natural inclination toward this kind of visual analysis, and they are are "untrained", as well. So they are clueless.

Many on this thread probably watch "What Not to Wear" or other style shows, and know how unaware some women are. But we also know that most can learn to see what they are not naturally gifted to see.

My favorite folks are the ones who read all the fashion magazines, and watch all the shows, are constantly shopping, and are always paying attention to how others look, talking about clothes, style, etc., and paying compliments to those who look good. But somehow, they still tend to make the "wrong" (less than ideal) choices for themselves, often getting stuck in old habits and "favorites" (like colors or hem lengths, for example) that really aren't best for them, but they like them, and they just can't see that a change would improve their looks. These are the sweetest and most endearing cases, in my opinion -- and one of them is my very best friend!

We all have differing gifts -- that is what makes life interesting.

I definitely think that women dress for women, in the same way that artists create for other people who are artistic and appreciate art. But we women dress for our men, too -- right? ;) It is just easier, in general, to dress for men than for women -- men are by and large less critical, less discerning, and are mostly admiring their lady's outfit with the undercurrent of what she will look like with it off! :D

SeagoingMom: Your post RE perspective is very thought-provoking. Thank you for giving us something to think about!

Many of us form a first impression by how a person is dressed and that isn't always a true reading. Some beautifully dressed women (and men) can be horrible, thoughtless people.

And, on the other hand, a lady/man in sweatpants and t-shirt can be caring and well-mannered.

On a cruise, we sit and people-watch so there isn't an opportunity to get to know those we're critiquing - it's just a fun activity. (I'm much more likely to strike up a conversation with someone dressed "appropriately".) But when we go home, we need to be a little slower at passing judgment, especially with folks we see more often.

As CCFs, we, of course, are upstanding, caring, fun-loving...and along with all the positive attributes, also give time and attention to how we look:cool:.

I also like your comment: "We all have different gifts - that's what makes life interesting."