W. Carib recos for execursions w/ 23 month old

valuv2travel

I'm a first time cruiser going on a large family cruise this Spring. It's a Western Carib and ports are Rotan, Cozumel, Belize and Grand Cayman. I've been starting to do some research on activities that would be interesting in port for our 23 month old. Please share your experience w/ toddlers in these ports. Also, I'm trying to figure out if we'd be able to use a car seat in these ports. I know several island taxis I've been in (pre kids) didn't even have seatbelts. Would hate to lug around a car seat and not be able to use it.

Thanks for your help!

In grand Cayman, sea grape beach is nice so is the turtle farm. In Cozumel paradise beach is nice for toddlers with a covered restaurant, beach and pool area and full changing/shower facilities. In Belize we just walked around and shopped so not sure and havent been to Raotan yet. I have a 2yr old too so my suggestion is bring a pail and shovel and go anywhere there is a beach area. My DS had a blast in St Maarten this last cruise at the beach. He played for hours in the sand. He was 24 mo at the time.

We went to Cozumel and Grand Cayman when DS was almost 1. In cozumel we went to Nachi Cocum (sp?). Reserved in advance and took a taxi, we left the car seat on the ship, we were in a suburban but I don't think the seat belts worked, we just held DS on our lap. I loved it! It was such a nice place and the staff was great, I think under 3 are free. We had shade and a lounge chair for each person. The beach was great and they kept it very clean, there was also a nice pool. Food was great, I think it would be great for a 2 year old (DS is almost 2 now and I know he would enjoy it).

In GC we did a private catamaran sting ray/snorkel tour. I think it was capt. bryans. DS was free and we took our jogging stroller. We were planning to take turns at the 2 snorkel stops (4 adults) and hold DS in the shallow water at sting ray city. He ended up falling asleep in the stroller that we put in the cabin part of the boat, he slept the whole time. One of us just stayed on the boat the whole time and it was fine. But if he had been awake I would have held him in the shallow water at sting ray city, there were plenty of shallow areas to stand where there were no sting rays. If I were to go with him now I'd stand next to him and let him swim around in his puddle jumper, he would like it.

Roatan, depending on which cruiseline you're on, there is a small (if a tad commercialized and fake) beach just a few minutes' walk off the ship (Mahogany Bay). I'm not sure what other lines dock there other than Carnival.

Cozumel you'll probably want a carseat of some kind (have you seen the travel specific, portable ones?) and I'd recommend Chankanaab. It's like part zoo, part playground, part beach. We loved it there. Short maybe under 10 minute cab ride.

Belize I'd honestly just stay on the ship. The tender ride takes 20+ minutes and can be rocky and there's really nothing to do that's worth the hassle there. I'd treat that as a day at sea and take advantage of the less crowded ship while everyone else is gone.

Grand Cayman, 7 Mile Beach is OK. Also a short cab ride. We went to Royal Palms, it was OK. No shade though, although I'm sure umbrellas would be for rent somewhere in that vacinity.

Cozumel, I would also recommend Chakunaab, quick cab ride, the Dolphin swim thing is there, and the baby would be able to experience it for free.

When we went, our youngest was about 3 and a half. The ship excursion desk doesn't allow kids under 8 to sign up, but we booked directly through dolphindiscovery . com. It's about 20% cheaper direct than through the ship.

Worked out GREAT. Memories for us... not so much memories for her, but she loves her picture with the dolphin.

There's also a fresh water pool there, and a small beach/lagoon with tons of palapas, a really good mexican restaurant, and burgers and fries at the Dolphin place.

Snorkeling is also good there, lots of fish, but the coral got mostly killed by a hurricane several years ago.

---------------------------

Grand Cayman, we used to do the Turtle Farm (Boatswain's something). Either bus it with the ship, or get a cab. There's a snorkeling lagoon in there, a fresh water pool, showers, turtles. Make sure to bring hand sanitizers, turtles tend to carry salmonella, it's part of their natural bacterial flora (that's the medical professional in me talking)... but it's really wonderful for the kids.

We've recently graduated up from the Turtle Farm, and started taking the kids snorkeling. We've used Chip with Stingraysailing . com. Super affordable, super family friendly, super experience. More supers than a comic book. It's a nice catamaran ride with no more than ~29 people on board... snorkeling and stingray sandbar... but it may be a little too much for the 23 mo old. They do have pictures on their site, a little girl, but maybe ~3 years old.

---------------------------

Belize and Roatan are problematic. Definitely on Roatan, I would recommend who everyone else seems to recommend. Victor Bodden @ boddentours.com. They are FANTASTIC. Of course, the kids were older when we booked Bodden, and they did the ziplining. But you can pretty much customize your tours with Victor, and really experience Roatan's beaches and sights.

Roatan was really nice. Lot's of retirees there, nice properties, people speak english. It's because it used to be an English commonwealth before going back to Honduras. The island is a gem.

Belize is a little harder, Belize City (where you will dock) is not a super friendly place. There are parts of Belize that are beautiful, and tourist friendly, but it's not near Belize City. Maybe book a pyramid tour with the ship. See the Atun Ha ruins... that place will make you feel like Indiana Jones. We did the cave tubing with Vitalino at cavetubing.bz ... but youngest was 5.

-------------------------

EDIT:

Oh yeah... car seats.

Third world countries... Car seats and seat belts are very problematic.

We used to try to take the car seats, and found that we were in third world countries.

We started reasoning to ourselves that when we were little, in the late 60s and early 70s, our parents used to sit us up front on the naugahyde bench seat, sliding back and forth whenever dad make a turn.

So, I chanted this mantra... I survived, WE'LL survive!

but, yes, it's stressful.

What have others done with regards to a 15 passenger van and carseats? We are not bringing ours and have scheduled an excursion in Belize (city tour/Belikan brewery) outside of the cruiseline...I am now having second thoughts about going. In Costa Maya the excursion co. will have a car seat for us. Cozumel my 18 year old son is going to watch our baby so we can do something just the two of us. Honduras I am not planning anything other than possibly walking and stolling the baby over to Mahogany Bay.....

When we went DS was 2 and DD was 4. We stuck with the ship's excursions (CCL). We did your exact itinerary. Grand Cayman and Belize were just DH and I. In Cozumel we did Playa Mia. It was not bad but the beach is a little rocky. Kids enjoyed the pool and food and drink were included. Roatan was by far our favorite port. We did the St.Anthony's Key with the animal sanctuary, beach, lunch and pool. My kids enjoyed the animals that were there rehabilitating, the beach was nice and the pool was relaxing. It is a private island and they have their own tender by where the ship was docked which ran often so if you needed to get back to the ship you did not have to wait long. Good luck and safe travels.

Did you ever have an excursion in a 15 passenger van or shuttle and no car seat? Thanks for your response :)

When we went DS was 2 and DD was 4. We stuck with the ship's excursions (CCL). We did your exact itinerary. Grand Cayman and Belize were just DH and I. In Cozumel we did Playa Mia. It was not bad but the beach is a little rocky. Kids enjoyed the pool and food and drink were included. Roatan was by far our favorite port. We did the St.Anthony's Key with the animal sanctuary, beach, lunch and pool. My kids enjoyed the animals that were there rehabilitating, the beach was nice and the pool was relaxing. It is a private island and they have their own tender by where the ship was docked which ran often so if you needed to get back to the ship you did not have to wait long. Good luck and safe travels.

And did you by chance do any of the excursions where you were picked up by vans or a shuttle bus and no carseat?? That was really my main concern and I am not sure if I need to bow out of that excursion now or not :( Help!! thanks.

We went to Cozumel and GC when our youngest was 23 months also!

We loved Chankanaab and in GC we just took a taxi to Royal Palms beach and relaxed.

And did you by chance do any of the excursions where you were picked up by vans or a shuttle bus and no carseat?? That was really my main concern and I am not sure if I need to bow out of that excursion now or not :( Help!! thanks.

We took a large van in Cozumel to Chankanaab and there were seat belts but we did not use the car seat. I am pretty much a stickler for car seats but it a very short ride to Chankanaab and we were the only ones on the road once we left the port area. The van we were in was very clean and the driver drove safely.

In Grand Cayman we were on a shuttle bus and we got off at the 1st beach so again it was a short drive. The road was not as safe as the one in Cozumel but still wasn't bad.

FYI! It is quite a walk from the boat through the port to the area where they have the taxi/vans. I highly recommend bringing a small umbrella stroller for your little one. I wish I had known this as we left ours on the ship and carrying a sleeping, heavy toddler back to the ship was exhausting.:eek:

Did you ever have an excursion in a 15 passenger van or shuttle and no car seat? Thanks for your response :)

Oops...we took a small bus in Cozumel without the car seat. The bus on the way back to the ship was much bigger, full size if I recall. It was a short drive. Granted anything can happen, but I have seen three adults and a toddler on a moped in Thailand:eek: but if bringing a car seat puts you at ease you should definetly bring one although storage can be awkward and I don't remember seat belts. Different countries, different safety regulations I suppose. In Grand Cayman and Belize we took buses as well and no seat belts but we did not have the kids in those ones. I hope you find something you are comfortable with.

Thank you :) Will definitely be bringing the umb stroller. The ride is about 50 minutes, I will gauge what I feel when we get there I guess. If it doesn't seem right then I will bow out.

We took a large van in Cozumel to Chankanaab and there were seat belts but we did not use the car seat. I am pretty much a stickler for car seats but it a very short ride to Chankanaab and we were the only ones on the road once we left the port area. The van we were in was very clean and the driver drove safely.

In Grand Cayman we were on a shuttle bus and we got off at the 1st beach so again it was a short drive. The road was not as safe as the one in Cozumel but still wasn't bad.

FYI! It is quite a walk from the boat through the port to the area where they have the taxi/vans. I highly recommend bringing a small umbrella stroller for your little one. I wish I had known this as we left ours on the ship and carrying a sleeping, heavy toddler back to the ship was exhausting.:eek:

Yeah, I don't know what to do :( it is one of those things....if I am at home then I don't go anywhere without the car seat; I know buses can be different, I mean school buses don't even have belts. The Belize tour operator keeps telling me to bring a fold up travel seat, but all that stuff is really pricey and with all the other stuff I am bringing I can't see lugging a car seat too.

Oops...we took a small bus in Cozumel without the car seat. The bus on the way back to the ship was much bigger, full size if I recall. It was a short drive. Granted anything can happen, but I have seen three adults and a toddler on a moped in Thailand:eek: but if bringing a car seat puts you at ease you should definetly bring one although storage can be awkward and I don't remember seat belts. Different countries, different safety regulations I suppose. In Grand Cayman and Belize we took buses as well and no seat belts but we did not have the kids in those ones. I hope you find something you are comfortable with.

Archived