Dissapointed With Carnival

Genner

Was all set yesterday to jump on the 72 Hour sale to bag an upgrade while prices were hot. I booked through a TA and was all set to go for a cove balcony but they've just got back to me and said all prices quoted on the sale were for new bookings and not for upgrades :(

It's crazy, i was going to spend another $1000 with them, but no because of their stupid policy they'll not get a penny. How on earth does that make good business sense :confused::confused::confused:

Yeah was ES and all prices have now shot up so it's a no go. Crazy that Carnival will not get my $1000 now, they need to rethink their policies IMO

Bummer. I think you should be disappointed in your TA,though. I'm booked through ES, and Carnival was quite willing to let me pay the difference for an upgrade. It's DOWNgrades that are not allowed through ES.

Anyway, keep checking current prices for your upgrade. The "sale" price for my cruise was actually the same as the standard past guest rate. Might be different for standard rates, though. Still, they might go down.

In any case, have a great cruise! The Dream is our favorite ship thus far!

OP, so sorry to hear this. I wonder if it has something to do with booking with a TA? We booked back in January for our 5-day- Oct cruise on the Inspiration and were able to get a $50 pp reduction on our Past Guest Rate due to the 72 hr sale. We have a PVP and dealt directly with him. We orig pd $419 pp for a 6E OV midship on the Empress deck. Due to the sale we are now reduced to $369 pp. Sos the sale did work for us as an already booked guest.

OP I just reread you last post and realized that you booked ES so not sure how this would work. So sorry all the same.

you actually think the sale was to attract those that were already booked?

Hate to say this but I agree 100% with this post. AND the old trick of a cancel and rebook rarely works.

You view it as CCL getting another $1,000 when in reality they'll get another booking anyway (or in the one posts sland, "they will get Jack (and probably Jill also). Most cruise lines are that way when it comes to promotional pricing.

They ain't that stupid....... Relax, you got your cruise and the cabin you agreed to - just enjoy the cruise.

Right after I booked our cruise that we leave on Sunday, Carnival had a sale start that included free upgrades. I called my PVP, and he said it was for new bookings, but he would be glad to help me out. We went from Deck 2 (main) all the way up to the empress deck. Didn't cost me a dime and I didn't have to cancel and rebook.

It doesnt sound like it makes sense to me either. I guess it just depends on who your TA talk to at Carnival since others were able to get upgrades. Hope you will be just as happy with what you booked and hey look at it as you just saved $1000 and still get to be on the same cruise.

I booked with ES rate. Can someone clarify if ES doesn't allow upgrades??? I am under the impression that you can upgrade at anytime?? You are supposed to be able to send in the ES form and get an OBC or upgrade. Did you try sending in the form? I did it a few weeks ago and it worked just fine. Am I missing something?

Sounds to me like the OP's beef is with their TA not Carnival. Lazy TA's give the industry a bad name. Even if the special rate says "for new booking only" there is plenty of precedent for getting the OBC or upgrade.

I booked with ES rate. Can someone clarify if ES doesn't allow upgrades??? I am under the impression that you can upgrade at anytime?? You are supposed to be able to send in the ES form and get an OBC or upgrade. Did you try sending in the form? I did it a few weeks ago and it worked just fine. Am I missing something?

You can upgrade, just not downgrade. Even if the upgrade is more than you originally paid, you can simply pay the difference to get the higher category. No penalties. You don't even have to send in the form unless you're using the Price Guarantee that comes with the ES rate (i.e., the upgrade is the same/lower price than you originally paid).

Was all set yesterday to jump on the 72 Hour sale to bag an upgrade while prices were hot. I booked through a TA and was all set to go for a cove balcony but they've just got back to me and said all prices quoted on the sale were for new bookings and not for upgrades :(

It's crazy, i was going to spend another $1000 with them, but no because of their stupid policy they'll not get a penny. How on earth does that make good business sense :confused::confused::confused:

It does make good business sense, and Carnival laughs all the way to the bank with all the people that book a cruise during these sales. The purpose of these sales is to full up the ships with new bookings, not to shuffle people already booked from one cabin to another.

Yes, you may be wondering why Carnival doesn't "want" your $1000. The reason why is because they already have your money, and they can sell that cabin to someone else who hasn't booked yet.

Carnival fills every sailing to capacity. If they didn't, they would be more willing to open these sales to people already booked.

Sounds to me like the OP's beef is with their TA not Carnival. Lazy TA's give the industry a bad name. Even if the special rate says "for new booking only" there is plenty of precedent for getting the OBC or upgrade.

you have to be a real lazy TA to turn down more commision.

I doubt they were lazy. They just got a person at CCL that went with the policy and gave no flexibility that other people got.

Just another in a long list of CCL inconsistancies.

Bill

Yeah was ES and all prices have now shot up so it's a no go. Crazy that Carnival will not get my $1000 now, they need to rethink their policies IMO

I'm booked ES, and I called to upgrade. I could have done so, but decided not to. Carnival didn't have a problem with it. I think your TA may have been confused. :confused: Carnival does not have a policy where you can't upgrade...

Archived